+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 67 of 290 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heisenberg

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware of Vallance but that wasn't the claim made.
    He claimed that it was a massive f**king lie that the Govt. never said that "herd immunity" was the goal. He thought it was Johnson that announced it but it was actually Vallance in his role as Chief Scientific Advisor to the Govt. (who repeated it on TV and Radio several times).

The Govt. are trying to re-write history now and they shouldn't be allowed to - as I'm sure you'll agree.

Welsh press release pointing out any lockdown release announcement applies to England only.

That'll be fun and not clear chaos.

From the release...

"Any decisions to ease restrictions in Wales will be announced by the Welsh Fist Minister"

I didn't know Sludge was running Wales?

International

This what Croesy said I wrote:.......Your post is on this page I haven't changed anything. Where?

This is what you said. Who cares if it's not too early for people if it's saving lives?

this doesn't even make sense, it is not a proper english!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post It won't be "too early" for a lot of folks going stir crazy.

Croesy: This is what you said. Who cares if it's not too early for people if it's saving lives?

croesy lying again. Not only has he changed the meaning of the statement I made but he also, in very bad english, sought to imply that I was saying I don't care.
    A liar and attempting to blackne someones character too. Par for the course with croesy.

You're a keyboard warrier and as I said, a waste of oxygen

Reading back through the thread, this seems to be a case of whether any member of the UK government seriously used term "herd immunity" or whether it was just those advising the government.

One of my frustrations is that we don't know what "the science" is and where "the science" stops and where government decisions begin despite UK government and Senedd ensuring people know they've "followed the science at all times".

If those justifying their actions are saying they're following "the science" at all times and previously the scientists have discussed herd immunity then can we take it that this was once part of the government response? It does feel that the media (currently happening at England level) and scientists (being prepared for future in all nations) are about to be blamed for any negative feeling towards government decisions. Meanwhile, death rates exceed benchmark for success set out by government by 10,000 and growing each day.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Reading back through the thread, this seems to be a case of whether any member of the UK government seriously used term "herd immunity" or whether it was just those advising the government.

One of my frustrations is that we don't know what "the science" is and where "the science" stops and where government decisions begin despite UK government and Senedd ensuring people know they've "followed the science at all times".

If those justifying their actions are saying they're following "the science" at all times and previously the scientists have discussed herd immunity then can we take it that this was once part of the government response? It does feel that the media (currently happening at England level) and scientists (being prepared for future in all nations) are about to be blamed for any negative feeling towards government decisions. Meanwhile, death rates exceed benchmark for success set out by government by 10,000 and growing each day.
    Good post. I'm guessing here, but if "the science" were urging that we go for a herd immunity approach and the Government defied them from the start by insisting that was not on, I think we would have heard about it somehow by now. I thought it had been more or less accepted that it was the Jenkinson report saying as many as half a million could die in the U.K. that convinced the Government not to adopt a herd immunity approach?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good post. I'm guessing here, but if "the science" were urging that we go for a herd immunity approach and the Government defied them from the start by insisting that was not on, I think we would have heard about it somehow by now. I thought it had been more or less accepted that it was the Jenkinson report saying as many as half a million could die in the U.K. that convinced the Government not to adopt a herd immunity approach?
    Ferguson, not Jenkinson, Lord knows where I got that from!

Quite ironic considering all the fuss there was about them at the time;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-uk-standards

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Quite ironic considering all the fuss there was about them at the time;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-uk-standards
    Can you imagine if it was a labour government doing this?

Heisenberg

Keep doubting:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Keep doubting:
    So still no evidence, as Delm claimed, of Johnson repeatedly stating that was the government policy?

Heisenberg

So still no evidence, as Delm claimed, of Johnson repeatedly stating that was the government policy?
    You're really nitpicking now, aren't you? Delmbox was wrong about it being Johnson - he was right that it was repeatedly stated on TV that the Govt. policy was for "herd immunity".

Boris Johnson stated around the 13th March that "threre's no evidence to suggest cancelling sporting events will stop the spread" - which was during the "herd immunity" phase of the plan.

Edit: "slow the spread" not "stop"

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You're really nitpicking now, aren't you? Delmbox was wrong about it being Johnson - he was right that it was repeatedly stated on TV that the Govt. policy was for "herd immunity".

Boris Johnson stated around the 13th March that "threre's no evidence to suggest cancelling sporting events will stop the spread" - which was during the "herd immunity" phase of the plan.
    Johnson stated on a This Morning interview the rational behind herd immunity as given to him. He then stated "but I disagree with it". Lo and behold, video then put on social media to show Johnson backed herd immunity - can you guess the bit edited out?

Heisenberg

Johnson stated on a This Morning interview the rational behind herd immunity as given to him. He then stated "but I disagree with it". Lo and behold, video then put on social media to show Johnson backed herd immunity - can you guess the bit edited out?
    Just watched the bits of the interview that you're referring to.

First of all, it was filmed (March 5th) a week before the "herd immunity" plan was announced, as far as I'm aware.

Secondly - he said that there needed to be balance - but that went out of the window when herd immunity was announced and 'lockdown' still wasn't on the horizon.

I'm not sure why you're digging your heels so hard to try to ignore the facts here.

I completely agree with finding this annoying and wrong. It's part of tapestry of misleading information which means an awful lot of people aren't making informed decisions about politics. There are a number of other examples I can provide if necessary.

In terms of this thread, it's likely that herd immunity was part of government strategy based on actions of UK government compared to rest of world and statements made by scientists advising government but I cannot see record of a government MP stating it was part of the plan. Someone has asked for link to government criticising Vallance which I'd also be interested in if you can help us out.

You're right, I was wrong about it being Johnson as opposed to the Government's Chief Scientific Adviser, who was stood next to Johnson on camera most days at the start of this. Now you've won that tiny little point I'm still right that what was said in the Guardian articles was bollocks

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You're right, I was wrong about it being Johnson as opposed to the Government's Chief Scientific Adviser, who was stood next to Johnson on camera most days at the start of this. Now you've won that tiny little point I'm still right that what was said in the Guardian articles was bollocks
    so happy thats been sorted out.

Economics editor of FT, 07/05/2020:

Update: following the latest official figures from hospitals, a cautious estimate od excess deaths linked to coronavirus up to 7 May is

Of these 42,700 have happened and are in official data while 12,300 are estimates

(later tweet reduces by 600 due to miscalculation of Scottish data).

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/stat...30677957165056
    17/03/2020: Sir Patrick, the government's chief scientific adviser, was asked if the final tally of British deaths could be limited to 20,000 or below. That would, he told MPs, be "a good outcome".

27/04/2020: Boris Johnson: "There will be many people looking now at our apparent success"

This thread regarding poor treatment of carer's and how it will have contributed to spread of coronavirus may be of interest: https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/st...43691010703360

Link 2 is to ITV page discussing disproportionate impact of coronavirus on BAME communities with report done in England: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-01/...ths-ifs-study/

We've all lost during this. Some are losing more.

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;5074306]The Government's perverse policy of counting tests that are sent out as tests completed must produce a slightly skewed result in the total of test results on subsequent days when they are returned and processed.

No doubt tests will be stockpiled so that, amazingly, 200,000 tests are done on one day at the end of the month as the Saviour predicted.

By the way, am I the only person who is bemused as the number of TV news people who stand very close to the foot of houses and flats and thrust a microphone up towards upstairs windows where their vox-pop interviewees talk to them, possibly spraying down microscopic spittle on the interviewers?

Nope. Daft isn't it. Spittle, bogeys, bits of dust kicked off balconies all heading towards reporters below.
    Last edited by IanD; 07-05-20 at 18:40. Reason: Quotes clarified

WHO :: *no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel # coronavirus.

🤯

I take it from what's below that whatever Johnson announces on Sunday re easing lockdown restrictions will apply only to England.

Coronavirus: Schools in Wales not reopening on 1 June - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52580877

Schools in Wales will not re-open on 1 June after closing due to the coronavirus pandemic, Education Minister Kirsty Williams has said.

International

NH Wales woman being interviewed by a committee today denied any knowledge of a 5000 tests a day promise saying it was not something she recognised. Nor did she acjnowledge Drakeford saying they intended to increas that to 9000 by mid april.
    Also the Director of NH Wales today said he thinks that to begin easing the lockdown and be in a position to control any upsurge we need to be conducting 10,000 test a day. In the last 24 hours, so I heard on the news, there were less than 1,000 carried out, but I cannot find written ref to it.

They can't even seem to agree on their own story let alone do what they should. At this rate what are out chances of ever getting out of lockdown?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    NH Wales woman being interviewed by a committee today denied any knowledge of a 5000 tests a day promise saying it was not something she recognised. Nor did she acjnowledge Drakeford saying they intended to increas that to 9000 by mid april.
    Also the Director of NH Wales today said he thinks that to begin easing the lockdown and be in a position to control any upsurge we need to be conducting 10,000 test a day. In the last 24 hours, so I heard on the news, there were less than 1,000 carried out, but I cannot find written ref to it.

They can't even seem to agree on their own story let alone do what they should. At this rate what are out chances of ever getting out of lockdown?
    God help us if Wales ever becomes totally devolved from the UK with people like this in charge. Think I'd have more confidence in the Marx Brothers if they were still around.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    God help us if Wales ever becomes totally devolved from the UK with people like this in charge. Think I'd have more confidence in the Marx Brothers if they were still around.
    Isn't the Westminster government being criticised for the same thing?
    What do you propose, joining Ireland?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Isn't the Westminster government being criticised for the same thing?
    What do you propose, joining Ireland?
    They're as bad as each other without a doubt. Part of the problem (as is witnessed by defence contracts) is that any purchases have to go through so many beaurocratic processes that its like a minefield, and it takes too long to get anything done. Add to that the fact that they are not used to being in a hurry or being told to do something "Now", and you have a recipe for disaster.