+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 98 of 290 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108148198 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Just some positive news from down under: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Just some positive news from down under: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...mpression=true
    It’s irrelevant really as they will have to open borders soon so in the same boat trying to control it as the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s irrelevant really as they will have to open borders soon so in the same boat trying to control it as the rest of us.
    I would think that it's probably relevant to the people of NZ that less people are catching this disease and dying whilst we continue to learn more about this virus, the most effective ways to live with it and work on a vaccine.

Why all this fuss about new arrivals to the UK having to go into 14 days quarantine? Why would anyone want/need to come to the UK at the moment unless they are UK citizens returning home? If they are eastern Europeans coming to help harvest fruit & veg I'm sure they would oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Why all this fuss about new arrivals to the UK having to go into 14 days quarantine? Why would anyone want/need to come to the UK at the moment unless they are UK citizens returning home? If they are eastern Europeans coming to help harvest fruit & veg I'm sure they would oblige.
    There's a rumour about an announcement on airbridges today that will start at the end of June. Lot's of business trips to the UK as well as holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    There's a rumour about an announcement on airbridges today that will start at the end of June. Lot's of business trips to the UK as well as holidays.
    Why business trips when we have all these video conferencing gizmos? Anyone coming to the UK for a holiday must be slightly unhinged surely, as (a) we now have the highest per capita COVID death rate in the world* and (b) they will need to be quarantined for the first 2 weeks.

(*source: https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-h...20-5?r=US&IR=T)

Or would they still want to come when you think about it!

The airbridges deal with (b) they will remove the 14 day quarintine for countries with low covid levels.

I agree people won't be rushing back here that's I assume why flights won't be back up to their normal number for a long time. But things will have to be eased back to normal otherwise the economy is ****ed.

As good as video conferencing is for certain things nothing beats a face to face meeting. Business trips won't be at the same volume they always have been for a while but they won't disappear.

The airbridges deal with (b) they will remove the 14 day quarintine for countries with low covid levels.

I agree people won't be rushing back here that's I assume why flights won't be back up to their normal number for a long time. But things will have to be eased back to normal otherwise the economy is ****ed.

As good as video conferencing is for certain things nothing beats a face to face meeting. Business trips won't be at the same volume they always have been for a while but they won't disappear.
    Agree on this but in these extraordinary times...? I used to do lots of business meetings all over Europe when I was working and really a lot of them could have been done by video link, except that that facility was not that readily available back the late 90's early 00's. The craziest ever trip was flying to Copenhagen, then a helicopter flight on to Malmo for a meeting that lasted less than one hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Agree on this but in these extraordinary times...? I used to do lots of business meetings all over Europe when I was working and really a lot of them could have been done by video link, except that that facility was not that readily available back the late 90's early 00's. The craziest ever trip was flying to Copenhagen, then a helicopter flight on to Malmo for a meeting that lasted less than one hour.
    I had to attend a meeting in Bremen and had to change planes in Amsterdam. The meeting took place in the guy's living room and I spent the whole time trying to fend off his two dogs trying to sniff my crotch. A video conference would have been preferable!

“They came to a different policy conclusion, but based really on quite similar science.

“I don’t agree with it. But scientifically, they’re not that far from scientists in any part of the world.”

Sweden’s rate of virus reproduction – the so-called ‘R’ value – is thought to be at one, meaning that, on average, every case will cause one other infection.

In the UK, it is thought to be between 0.75 and one, meaning the virus outbreak is retreating.

While pointing out that the Sweden’s mortality rate is not declining in a similar way to other European countries, Prof Ferguson said: “Nevertheless, it is interesting that adopting a policy which is short of a full lockdown – they have closed secondary schools and universities and there is a significant amount of social distancing, but it’s not a full lockdown – they have got quite a long way to the same effect. That is something we are looking at very closely.

“Lockdowns are very crude policies, and what we’d like to do is have much more targeted controlled transmission going forward, which doesn’t have the same economic impacts.”
    I’m not sure it’s anything new

I’m not sure it’s anything new
    We screwed our economy and Sweden didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We screwed our economy and Sweden didn't.
    Sweden is a lot lower population density than England especially, we *could* have stuck with that approach, but then I suspect we would have seen a huge number of deaths

Sweden

Confirmed 38,589

Recovered

Deaths

Denmark

Confirmed
    +35

Recovered

Deaths

Finland

Confirmed

Recovered

Deaths

Norway

Confirmed

Recovered

Deaths
    Hmmmm

20200603_100847.jpg

is devolution good now?

Heisenberg

I bet those 4,500 dead and their families are glad the economy only contracted by 0.2% instead of 2%. What a relief that must be for them!

I bet those 4,500 dead and their families are glad the economy only contracted by 0.2% instead of 2%. What a relief that must be for them!
    Dont know but the Norwegians are wondering

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...aign=DM1251860

Schools in Wales to reopen on 29 June.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Schools in Wales to reopen on 29 June.
    Some sense, fair play she spoke well. We need a test time to see how the new normal will be come sept. A few days a week will go a long way with reduced class size.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Dont know but the Norwegians are wondering

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...aign=DM1251860
    So are Sweden too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52903717

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

Would you have sacrificed 4000 for 2% on the economy ?

So are Sweden too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52903717

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

Would you have sacrificed 4000 for 2% on the economy ?
    No chance....but I think we are going to have to live with this thing for a few years, people will die and economies will suffer in that time.