+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    He has spoken about them in a previous thread - maybe even this one. He didn't say who these people were then, he won't say who they are now, and he will probably never say it.

I think he grew up in a religious, chapel going setting. I'm not knocking that for a minute. However, not many people grow up in those settings these days (I am assuming xsnaggle is in his 70s), and I would be amazed if the chapel goers had any influence at any level (national, local, or even street) at any stage of the last 100 years. That is, of course, assuming he is talking about some sort of temperance society.

I know the Temperance Societies had some success in valleys towns, making areas of towns pub free at a time when there was literally a pub on every street corner. Especially in hard working areas like Ebbw Vale, Tredegar, Merthyr and so on - but a lot of that success stems from the 19th Century.

I wonder if he is talking about these groups, or someone else?
    The Temperance Hall in Merthyr became the Scala snooker club and bar inhabited by alcohol sodden skinheads with no teeth.

**** you Temperance, pissheads rule.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The Temperance Hall in Merthyr became the Scala snooker club and bar inhabited by alcohol sodden skinheads with no teeth.

**** you Temperance, pissheads rule.
    The national stadium and the Old Cardiff Arms Park was built on what was previously Temperance town in central Cardiff on the land that used to be the other side of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The national stadium and the Old Cardiff Arms Park was built on what was previously Temperance town in central Cardiff on the land that used to be the other side of the river.
    Are all the offspring of the former Temperance Town inhabitants now living near Mark Drakeford and campaigning to him over a game of golf to ensure pubs never open again?

You may feel this reads ludicrously and dreamt up in the mind of someone akin to Dusty Bin but in these strange times you never know.

Perhaps xsnaggle is having a go at the Welsh because of his religious and ethnic background, I put that to him before ?, perhaps he is feeling sore that Freddie came down and beat Peerless in conjunction with the valley commandos rioting down there.

The terraced streets of Temperance Town were directly outside the General Station, the other side of Wood St to the Arms Park. If you can picture the old bus station, that’s where the terraced streets were. The Taff more or less flowed where the present rugby ground is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If you're talking about the current situation with regard to the Covid-19 guidelines in Wales, I would like to admit the following: rightly or wrongly, I regard myself as a reasonably intelligent individual; I have been working, travelling on public transport, shopping for myself and shopping for elderly relatives throughout the pandemic; I watch the news almost every day and often watch the daily Covid-19 briefings; I also use the internet every day and often read the BBC news website; nevertheless, I am now in a situation whereby I genuinely have no idea what the rules in Wales currently are.

It's become an absolute farce.
    Come on TLG it’s simple, 5 miles will get you from rhiwbina into town just, not sure about splott, you probably can’t go to Rumney or st Mellons though, or penarth, sorry no Ikea when it opens. If you happen to live in Pembrokeshire it doesnt matter at all as nothing is five miles away, you can drive the whole county to your favourite beach or butchers, it’s fine, it’s Pembrokeshire, the county that lives on tourism but doesn’t want to let tourists in.....

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The terraced streets of Temperance Town were directly outside the General Station, the other side of Wood St to the Arms Park. If you can picture the old bus station, that’s where the terraced streets were. The Taff more or less flowed where the present rugby ground is.
    Yes, before Brunel built his wonderful railway the Taff ran down what is now Westgate Street, hence the alley being named Golate. When he stragitened the river the land reclaimed on the city side became Temperance town , probbly bought by quakers, and that as you say is the north side of Wood St where the Stadium now stands (Cardiff Arms Park as was)

Anyone know why our spiritual leader won’t let Dentists open here yet? Of course, they can go in England. Another ridiculous situation

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Anyone know why our spiritual leader won’t let Dentists open here yet? Of course, they can go in England. Another ridiculous situation
    Guided by the Chief Dental Officer in Wales, but the Chief Dental Officer in England thinks differently and says dentists can open.

As you say it's another ridiculous situation

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It's strange to think that temperance town was so named because there was no alcohol for sale in the area, but the people in temperance town were almost certainly living closer to pubs than most new developments today.
    Just in comparison the rest of the town at the time had pubs on each corner.
    With the decline in the numbers of pubs showing little sign of slowing basically half the city live in temperance towns these days.

Are all the offspring of the former Temperance Town inhabitants now living near Mark Drakeford and campaigning to him over a game of golf to ensure pubs never open again?

You may feel this reads ludicrously and dreamt up in the mind of someone akin to Dusty Bin but in these strange times you never know.
    Is it ludicrous to suggest that Drakeford's life and background have an influence on his decision-making ? I could start by saying something along the lines of "..I'm sure he's a nice guy, but ..". Trouble is, every single person I've met who knows him says he's a horrible and despicable man. Wife's friends from Carmarthen who are contemporaries of his, a couple I met this week out walking whose daughter works with him, the father of one of my son's old football team-mates who used to work with him. He's never had a job outside public life, is by self-admission to the left of the Labour Party, and has lifetime of working on social issues. All good, but I doubt he knows what a business looks like, how they're run, where money comes from [unless it's Westminster], and is probably only concerned about CV19 and not it the slightest about jobs and the economy. Just the person to 'run' a Country. I said earlier that he's exempt from criticism in the Welsh parochial media. I've driven passed the City stadium a dozen times in the past week and the most cars I've seen queuing up to be tested is 2. Usually 1, occasionally 0.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Guided by the Chief Dental Officer in Wales, but the Chief Dental Officer in England thinks differently and says dentists can open.

As you say it's another ridiculous situation
    Dentists in England could open from Monday - but from what I can see (including my own dentist) many if not most of them are only open in a limited way - waiting further financial and PPE help and more guidance. I think a lot of them are now doing emergency appointments (ending the 3 months of DIY stuff) but routine appointments like check ups are generally still on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Dentists in England could open from Monday - but from what I can see (including my own dentist) many if not most of them are only open in a limited way - waiting further financial and PPE help and more guidance. I think a lot of them are now doing emergency appointments (ending the 3 months of DIY stuff) but routine appointments like check ups are generally still on hold.
    The ones by us have only been open for orthodontists and emergencies. My Mrs went and had to pay an extra Ł20 to cover the PPE.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The ones by us have only been open for orthodontists and emergencies. My Mrs went and had to pay an extra Ł20 to cover the PPE.
    I suppose if you're in pain it seems a small price to pay even if in normal times you'd think it was a rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Is it ludicrous to suggest that Drakeford's life and background have an influence on his decision-making ? I could start by saying something along the lines of "..I'm sure he's a nice guy, but ..". Trouble is, every single person I've met who knows him says he's a horrible and despicable man. Wife's friends from Carmarthen who are contemporaries of his, a couple I met this week out walking whose daughter works with him, the father of one of my son's old football team-mates who used to work with him. He's never had a job outside public life, is by self-admission to the left of the Labour Party, and has lifetime of working on social issues. All good, but I doubt he knows what a business looks like, how they're run, where money comes from [unless it's Westminster], and is probably only concerned about CV19 and not it the slightest about jobs and the economy. Just the person to 'run' a Country. I said earlier that he's exempt from criticism in the Welsh parochial media. I've driven passed the City stadium a dozen times in the past week and the most cars I've seen queuing up to be tested is 2. Usually 1, occasionally 0.
    Drakeford apparently worked as a teacher at one point and was even said to have taught the Red Rhondda Rebel aka luvely Leanne and he worked as a probation officer also just like Ms Wood.
    He is time served, seems like a safe pair of hands for Labour but has little charisma as regards engaging the public.
    Labour is getting overrun in England and Scotland and is even starting to lose their grip here in Wales, Welsh Government elections are due next year and that will be a test as to how the public in Wales think he and his party in Wales is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I’ve never met an Assembly Member who has any charisma or I’ve been impressed with and I have met a few.

In relation to his lack of business knowledge, you’d hope there was someone advising him on those details. No AM leader is above criticism and I’m not in awe of how Wales is managing the pandemic. I’m not that parochial not to criticise.

I think Drakeford is balancing controlling the pandemic with health of people against the economy, just the same as BoJo. He’s being more cautious than BoJo perhaps due to political motives or being advised by medical people and scientists?

I don’t think he’s coming to these decisions solely due to wishing Wales to be different.

International

I’ve never met an Assembly Member who has any charisma or I’ve been impressed with and I have met a few.

In relation to his lack of business knowledge, you’d hope there was someone advising him on those details. No AM leader is above criticism and I’m not in awe of how Wales is managing the pandemic. I’m not that parochial not to criticise.

I think Drakeford is balancing controlling the pandemic with health of people against the economy, just the same as BoJo. He’s being more cautious than BoJo perhaps due to political motives or being advised by medical people and scientists?

I don’t think he’s coming to these decisions solely due to wishing Wales to be different.
    you would hope someone is advising him, at one stage Jones had more advisors than the PM, but in fairness I think they were culled somewhat. As for the medical advice only this morning Mr Drakeford commented on the help they get from SAGE and how without it things would have been more difficult, so it would seem the advice to him and boJo would be largely the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I can't help feeling that we in the UK are in the phoney war stage. I presume we Brits are not genetically that different from folk in Italy yet we are mostly going about our day-to-day business as usual when Italy is in virtual lockdown. I think we must surely be on the cusp of a sudden exponential increase in the number of cases of coronavirus? Are we just incredibly lucky or is there some inherent immunity that most of us possess?
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    We should be shutting things down and socially distancing now and anyone that doesn't think so can fight me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Interesting read with some good graphs. It backdates the cases the authorities knew about at the time with the actual numbers, along with some other stuff. One big conclusion is

Countries that are prepared will see a fatality rate of ~0.5% (South Korea) to 0.9% (rest of China).
    Countries that are overwhelmed will have a fatality rate between ~3%-5%

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca
    These 3 new about what we needed to do in advance of our own Government it seems. And that's just looking at page 3 (10th - 11th March).

No shiiiit bra

Coronavirus: Major disruption to cancer care revealed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52985446

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    These 3 new about what we needed to do in advance of our own Government it seems. And that's just looking at page 3 (10th - 11th March).
    That's only this thread as well, there were plenty of others, which were probably much more relevant, but only this one has lasted the distance for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No shiiiit bra

Coronavirus: Major disruption to cancer care revealed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52985446
    I read somewhere a few weeks ago that there could be up to 15k excess cancer deaths next year due to delayed treatments this year

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That's only this thread as well, there were plenty of others, which were probably much more relevant, but only this one has lasted the distance for some reason
    The word 'update' may be a clue!

you would hope someone is advising him, at one stage Jones had more advisors than the PM, but in fairness I think they were culled somewhat. As for the medical advice only this morning Mr Drakeford commented on the help they get from SAGE and how without it things would have been more difficult, so it would seem the advice to him and boJo would be largely the same.
    There’s a difference in opinion on what needs to be done then or perhaps the rates of infection and other socio economic factors may be contributing to the differing speeds of coming out of lockdown?

I’d certainly hope a competent government would consider those factors no statistics.

International

There’s a difference in opinion on what needs to be done then or perhaps the rates of infection and other socio economic factors may be contributing to the differing speeds of coming out of lockdown?

I’d certainly hope a competent government would consider those factors no statistics.
    Clearly! the science is the science but by its nature the final call is a political one every time! Scientists do not form policy and wouldn't even if you asked them.

Clearly! the science is the science but by its nature the final call is a political one every time! Scientists do not form policy and wouldn't even if you asked them.
    Scientists do not form policy? So this following the science thing has been bullshit all along?

Well I ****ing never.