Banned

Re: Coronavirus update

Well, this is effing marvellous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53218704

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post

But but but I thought china was making its own viruses to attack the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post

I bet David Cameron is feeling uneasy

More evidence of how badly the pandemic was handled in the UK - a couple of months ago, we were being told to wait until more comprehensive figures were available before criticising this country's response, well, the sort of data we were told was needed is now available and it still looks pretty pathetic doesn't it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53222182

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    More evidence of how badly the pandemic was handled in the UK - a couple of months ago, we were being told to wait until more comprehensive figures were available before criticising this country's response, well, the sort of data we were told was needed is now available and it still looks pretty pathetic doesn't it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53222182
    Damming report, but it doesn't give any evidence how badly the pandemic was handled, although we all think we know why.

But the stats raise questions, why are England's results so much worse than Wales for example, when, at the peak 11 weeks, the UK had a uniform approach. Why is N Ireland best of the lot.....Within the UK some of the home nations results were not bad compared to other European nations, yet we had a UK wide approach.

Still a lot to be disclosed

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Damming report, but it doesn't give any evidence how badly the pandemic was handled, although we all think we know why.

But the stats raise questions, why are England's results so much worse than Wales for example, when, at the peak 11 weeks, the UK had a uniform approach. Why is N Ireland best of the lot.....Within the UK some of the home nations results were not bad compared to other European nations, yet we had a UK wide approach.

The talk was we should wait for the excess deaths figure from other countries before drawing conclusions. Now, we have nearly three months of excess deaths data to consider and the figures show exactly the same as what they were showing when we were being told to hang on before coming to conclusions. All of the available evidence points the same way, so why should anyone think that there is still something out there which will lead to a complete reevaluation of how the UK handled the the first wave of the pandemic?

Looking at those tables, the three other UK nations have clearly done better than England, but none of them are that good really, they just mean Arlene Foster, Nicola Sturgeon and Mark Drakeford and their administrations have not been the complete disaster that Johnson and his cronies have.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

I might be being a massive, naive arse here but I was sort of expecting our respective governments to be considering and examining these statistics right about now and coming up with some better solutions than the fuuckfest they’ve coordinated the last few months?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Taken from this paper...

masks.jpg

Taken from this paper...

masks.jpg
    That's an incredible graph.

yes, and the sact that mask usage is STILL very sparse in this country speaks volumes about the total lack of clarity and consistency the public health messages have been.
    I read somewhere we were the worst or second worst in the world for mask usage. Even other European countries with no long history of wearing masks have significantly upped the number of people wearing them.

yes, and the sact that mask usage is STILL very sparse in this country speaks volumes about the total lack of clarity and consistency the public health messages have been.
    I read somewhere we were the worst or second worst in the world for mask usage. Even other European countries with no long history of wearing masks have significantly upped the number of people wearing them.
    I always wear a mask when out shopping but I must admit I do feel self-conscious as the vast majority of my fellow citizens are not. I suppose the fact that the face covering I have is something akin to what a bandit would wear and thus could be a bit intimidating! However being of a certain age it bothers me not one iota!

Screenshot_2020-06-30 Virustatic Shield - Face Coverings With Built in Viruferrin™️ Prote.jpg

https://www.virustaticshield.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I always wear a mask when out shopping but I must admit I do feel self-conscious as the vast majority of my fellow citizens are not. I suppose the fact that the face covering I have is something akin to what a bandit would wear and thus could be a bit intimidating! However being of a certain age it bothers me not one iota!

Screenshot_2020-06-30 Virustatic Shield - Face Coverings With Built in Viruferrin™️ Prote.jpg

https://www.virustaticshield.com/

I don't wear a mask due to asthma and have had a few comments directed at me for not doing so.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    What's wrong? So the man is not self conscious about being self conscious. Wassamarra with that?
    When you get to a certain age, it..............um.................um...........wh at was I saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    OK, it's a fair cop guvnor! Perhaps I should have said I feel "different", in the same way when I wear speedos on the beach and my grandchildren are cringing with embarrassment!

International

OK, it's a fair cop guvnor! Perhaps I should have said I feel "different", in the same way when I wear speedos on the beach and my grandchildren are cringing with embarrassment!
    I never worse speedos. do they make you feel different? I wish I'd known.

The scatter graph though is somewhat less impressive though. A correlation coefficient of 0.26 - uhm...... Lies, damn lies and statistics comes to mind!

Smile Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I never worse speedos. do they make you feel different? I wish I'd known.
    Speedos can't be "worse" than these very trendy jobbies surely!

swim shorts.jpg

International

Speedos can't be "worse" than these very trendy jobbies surely!

swim shorts.jpg
    Well you might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

The scatter graph though is somewhat less impressive though. A correlation coefficient of 0.26 - uhm...... Lies, damn lies and statistics comes to mind!
    Have you read the report?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I don't wear a mask due to asthma and have had a few comments directed at me for not doing so.
    Asthma you say?

Just teasing, old fruit 😊

The talk was we should wait for the excess deaths figure from other countries before drawing conclusions. Now, we have nearly three months of excess deaths data to consider and the figures show exactly the same as what they were showing when we were being told to hang on before coming to conclusions. All of the available evidence points the same way, so why should anyone think that there is still something out there which will lead to a complete reevaluation of how the UK handled the the first wave of the pandemic?

Looking at those tables, the three other UK nations have clearly done better than England, but none of them are that good really, they just mean Arlene Foster, Nicola Sturgeon and Mark Drakeford and their administrations have not been the complete disaster that Johnson and his cronies have.
    Arlene Foster, Nicola Sturgeon and Mark Drakeford can't be congratulated because they have done better than Boris Johnson.

The figures relate to the 11 week peak around late March to early May when all home nations were under virtually the same restrictions. So there must be more to it than the blaming mis-administration, ( and the report does not look at what happened in each country, only the results.)

Was it related to flights into UK which were unrestricted, and a lot more flights in England than other home countries. Was it to do with public transport in areas like London. Was it to do with the larger number of nursing homes in England than elsewhere.

Lots of questions but too early to categorically say why UK outcomes so bad.

I haven't read the paper in detail, but is this group of ophthalmologists implying that if we had introduced mask wearing early on we would have had a much lower mortality?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Asthma you say?
    Looking at posts 2-3 months old to try to score points is a tad stalkerish and if I might say so, sad.