Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Encouraging news on the vaccine front;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Encouraging news on the vaccine front;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839
    Good to hear , fingers crossed , got to get back to footy and pubs and music gigs , its interesting they say we may not have enough cases to test in the UK .

It was one thing the government chucked money at very early on "" £65.5 million of new funding for the vaccine being developed at the University of Oxford as coronavirus ...""

Sweden; where i live is having a hard time to find covid 19 study cases. I'm not sure how hard they are trying but in my county there have been about 3600 cases and about 260 deaths...same population as Birmingham.
    I still feel they threw people under the bus butatm its looking positive case wise.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Good to hear , fingers crossed , got to get back to footy and pubs and music gigs , its interesting they say we may not have enough cases to test in the UK .

It was one thing the government chucked money at very early on "" £65.5 million of new funding for the vaccine being developed at the University of Oxford as coronavirus ...""
    We should be random testing, not just testing people who report they have symptoms. We have no idea who is asymptomatic with the virus or is virus free. We have a limited idea of who has the virus with symptoms. And a week later the picture will have changed. The testing should be about mapping the presence of the virus in the whole population, not just a yes/no on the relatively few people who self refer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We should be random testing, not just testing people who report they have symptoms. We have no idea who is asymptomatic with the virus or is virus free. We have a limited idea of who has the virus with symptoms. And a week later the picture will have changed. The testing should be about mapping the presence of the virus in the whole population, not just a yes/no on the relatively few people who self refer.
    Completely agree although, to be fair, care workers and NHS staff are now getting tested routinely - so that will provide some valuable data about infection rates.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    But anyone can go and get a test. you can walk up register and get tested. how more random can you get?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But anyone can go and get a test. you can walk up register and get tested. how more random can you get?
    Walk up to where?

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Walk up to where?
    A test centre, but drive up would be more correct.

Banned

A test centre, but drive up would be more correct.
    Really?

https://gov.wales/apply-coronavirus-test - seems to contradict you.

International

I don't give a toss what that says. I know for a fact you can do it.

Banned

Have you done it then?

International

Have you done it then?
    Yes. I don't know where you live but you can drive to the test centre eg, in Abercynon and they will register you for a test there and then and take the samples.

Banned

Yes. I don't know where you live but you can drive to the test centre eg, in Abercynon and they will register you for a test there and then and take the samples.
    I'll try at Rodney Parade tomorrow.

International

I'll try at Rodney Parade tomorrow.
    Yes, I think you should be able to do it there too. Let people know what they say.

I didn't know that was on offer across the UK - or that there are enough test centres in places everyone can access to allow it to happen - but even if it is it should be something led (messages from the top, co-ordination with local councils and services, mobile test centres in residential areas and workplaces) by the government not left to Joe and Jane to decide it is something they want to do.

I think I am right in saying that some countries (South Korea, Taiwan...?) got very close to regular testing of their whole populations and were able to scale back once they knew what was really happening with the virus.

New cases figures were up to over 800 on Saturday and over 700 yesterday - seems to me more of the same today would represent a definite upward trend.
    Down to 580 yesterday from nearly 300,000 tests which is better news, but I note the BBC are now using the headline "Fall in Cornonavirus stalls" above their graph of new daily cases and the line on that graph has headed slightly upwards since reaching its lowest point about ten days ago. I suppose that's to be expected with all of the restrictions that have been lifted in recent weeks in England in particular, but new cases are inching upwards again in many countries on mainland Europe and it's reasonable to expect the same thing to happen here in that case.

They were stringent with me. I was given an appointment with specific time slot and location that wasn’t the nearest centre to me, in order to minimise any contact with other people. I was also under the impression that they’re prioritising key workers etc.

I didn’t realise they were offering ‘drop in’ Covid tests?

It’s a good idea.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    They were stringent with me. I was given an appointment with specific time slot and location that wasn’t the nearest centre to me, in order to minimise any contact with other people. I was also under the impression that they’re prioritising key workers etc.

It’s a good idea.
    I work with these centres and the people operating them have told me that anyone who wants one can have a test. I was even invited to bring my family with me if I wanted one. If they refuse you there is something wrong.

Can you book one of the tests to see if you've had it as well?

Five weeks ago, I noticed that my sense of smell was weaker and that a lot of the food I ate had I slight tang to it. I thought of booking a test, but was influenced by a radio interview I heard saying that it was only a complete loss of those senses which was a possible symptom of Covid and by the time I realised this was wrong, it was well past the five days from when symptoms first develop period they talk about for the test to be effective.

I've read the NHS guidance which says that people who live by themselves who self isolate can come out of it if the only symptoms they're still showing is a loss of smell/taste and/or a cough (apparently these symptoms can linger for weeks after the virus). I've always got a cough and my sense of smell has, if anything, got worse over the past five weeks (my sense of taste is better than it was, but still not quite right), but my GP told me that if it was COVID that affected my senses I must have had a very mild dose of it and it's more likely it's something else which can be investigated when things get back to something like normal - she told me not to be concerned about affecting other people with Covid or that I may still develop serious symptoms, if that was going to happen it would have done so weeks ago.

So, although there's no point being tested to see if I have it now, it might be worth finding out if I have had it in the past.

I work with these centres and the people operating them have told me that anyone who wants one can have a test. I was even invited to bring my family with me if I wanted one. If they refuse you there is something wrong.
    But did you want a family?

Can you book one of the tests to see if you've had it as well?

Five weeks ago, I noticed that my sense of smell was weaker and that a lot of the food I ate had I slight tang to it. I thought of booking a test, but was influenced by a radio interview I heard saying that it was only a complete loss of those senses which was a possible symptom of Covid and by the time I realised this was wrong, it was well past the five days from when symptoms first develop period they talk about for the test to be effective.

I've read the NHS guidance which says that people who live by themselves who self isolate can come out of it if the only symptoms they're still showing is a loss of smell/taste and/or a cough (apparently these symptoms can linger for weeks after the virus). I've always got a cough and my sense of smell has, if anything, got worse over the past five weeks (my sense of taste is better than it was, but still not quite right), but my GP told me that if it was COVID that affected my senses I must have had a very mild dose of it and it's more likely it's something else which can be investigated when things get back to something like normal - she told me not to be concerned about affecting other people with Covid or that I may still develop serious symptoms, if that was going to happen it would have done so weeks ago.

So, although there's no point being tested to see if I have it now, it might be worth finding out if I have had it in the past.
    If you are married I would check if the wife is poisoning you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If you are married I would check if the wife is poisoning you.
    Nope, can't blame anyone else for it I'm afraid. One of the possibilities that have come up in discussions is that I may have done a Donald Trump and been affected by the bleach I was cleaning my sink and work surfaces with (I did that for the first two or three months after lockdown about once a week).

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

It’s a good idea.
    There's a hell of a lot of incorrect "APPOINTMENT ONLY" signs at the Leckwith one. If they took them down they might actually test someone mind

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    But did you want a family?
    God no, two are enough thank you!!