+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Did this story go anywhere? I didn't see anybody comment on it, and the media haven't picked up on it as far as I know.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sensitive.html

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Scotland's figures started going up after a long period where new cases were very low and deaths almost non existent around the same time as they went back to school in mid August, but there is little being said about schools being behind the increase when I would have thought it would be something that would be easy to identify if it were the cause - of course, it may be that Governments would not want the news in the public domain even if it was happening, given the political fall out if they were to have to close again.
    the cases they've had in Scotland have not been associated with schools though. the few cases they've had in schools have been teachers who have caught it elsewhere transmitting it to other teachers

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    There is always a person who is allergic to something though isn’t there?
    I'm pretty sure they would have thought of that when they were designing the clinical trials tbh.

What I don't get about the events of the last few weeks is why are numbers increasing now when for quite a while after shops, pubs, restaurants etc opened and people were allowed to meet up in other's homes the downward trend was continuing? Youngsters are getting the blame for the upward trend, but it seems to me that throughout the summer, there were plenty of instances where young and older people were gathering groups which ran into four figures and yet there was nothing like the dramatic increases seen recently.

I always thought problems would arise once people were allowed to drink inside pubs. I saw an article written a few days before pubs reopened about how drinking habits would have to change and people would have to limit themselves to just a small number of drinks and thinking that's never going to happen. Possibly more than any other country, UK citizens go out to get pissed and with that the control which would have you following social distancing regulations at the start of your night would gradually disappear. So, I'd argue that has something to do with the increases but, as I mentioned, pubs were open for a while without seeing a big increase in new cases.

We were told that September should be a fairly quiet month before autumn hit and the traditional flu season began, but, with August being something of a wash out, has autumn/winter started early this year and could that be a factor - it certainly has had a bit of an autumnal feel lately.
    Could this be the backlash from the Summer Holidays, both in the UK people mixing and moving from one area to another, and maybe drinking and relaxing in a pub indoors in say Cornwall?

Also people going flying in and out of the Country going to Spain, France, Zante and the rest of Greece and the World, no doubt this will have added to the spread of the virus?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the cases they've had in Scotland have not been associated with schools though. the few cases they've had in schools have been teachers who have caught it elsewhere transmitting it to other teachers
    Teachers need to be tested every week I’d say. Appears they are the issue. No way can schools be shut again

What I don't get about the events of the last few weeks is why are numbers increasing now when for quite a while after shops, pubs, restaurants etc opened and people were allowed to meet up in other's homes the downward trend was continuing? Youngsters are getting the blame for the upward trend, but it seems to me that throughout the summer, there were plenty of instances where young and older people were gathering groups which ran into four figures and yet there was nothing like the dramatic increases seen recently.

I always thought problems would arise once people were allowed to drink inside pubs. I saw an article written a few days before pubs reopened about how drinking habits would have to change and people would have to limit themselves to just a small number of drinks and thinking that's never going to happen. Possibly more than any other country, UK citizens go out to get pissed and with that the control which would have you following social distancing regulations at the start of your night would gradually disappear. So, I'd argue that has something to do with the increases but, as I mentioned, pubs were open for a while without seeing a big increase in new cases.

We were told that September should be a fairly quiet month before autumn hit and the traditional flu season began, but, with August being something of a wash out, has autumn/winter started early this year and could that be a factor - it certainly has had a bit of an autumnal feel lately.
    Wales continues with the upward trend and it's becoming more general...165 cases reported today, 33 Caerphilly, 18 Newport, 22 North Wales, 13 Cardiff, 12 Merthyr, 16 neath/Port Talbot/Swansea, 20 Rhondda

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Wales continues with the upward trend and it's becoming more general...165 cases reported today, 33 Caerphilly, 18 Newport, 22 North Wales, 13 Cardiff, 12 Merthyr, 16 neath/Port Talbot/Swansea, 20 Rhondda
    13 cases in a county of over half a million......stock up on the bog roll eh? Ffs.....

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    And how many of those have been hospitalised and how many have died?

And how do those numbers compare with other more established illnesses.

Isn’t the time coming where we live with the virus rather than try to hide from it

My Daughter has been off school with a sore throat this week (not a Covid symptom), but my wife's place of work have insisted that she cannot come back to work until she has a negative test.

It took us as 2 people 2 days of constant refreshing online to finally get a test in a location that wouldn't have involved a drive to Barnstable or Aberystwyth. During this time we walked to our nearest center and shouted over the wall to check if a previous registration had come through (it hadn't) and that it takes 4 hours for a booking to register. However he said once that registration is in you can come back at any time, because there is never anyone here.

Had the test today, and are awaiting the results. The booking system doesn't feel like anywhere near up to scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Isn’t the time coming where we live with the virus rather than try to hide from it
    If you mean going back to normal then no.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Did this story go anywhere? I didn't see anybody comment on it, and the media haven't picked up on it as far as I know.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sensitive.html
    Experts saying 9 out of 10 tests could be wrong? Doesn't it have to be shown that this is either the case or it isn't?

International

Prof Witty said that the rise in positive tests is mainly in the 17 - 21 yr old range from lack of keeping to the rules, but those people are then going back home and giving it to older people, and that is the real problem

The youngsters will probably get a mild dose and not even notice but the older folks could end up in intensive care and swamp the hospitals again.

Experts saying 9 out of 10 tests could be wrong? Doesn't it have to be shown that this is either the case or it isn't?
    What worries me is the death rate I'm told by a health worker that some poorly patients who were near death with terminal diseases were accounted for on death certificates as Covid, during the frenziness of the pandemic ??

From Metro """It’s important to note that flu and pneumonia deaths were lower than average during the pandemic, which may be down to people succumbing to coronavirus when they would have normally died from those illnesses.""

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/12/nearly-five-times-people-dying-flu-pneumonia-coronavirus-13118709/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Some are just saying you’ve had a cold or another coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What worries me is the death rate I'm told by a health worker that some poorly patients who were near death with terminal diseases were accounted for on death certificates as Covid, during the frenziness of the pandemic ??

From Metro """It’s important to note that flu and pneumonia deaths were lower than average during the pandemic, which may be down to people succumbing to coronavirus when they would have normally died from those illnesses.""

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/12/nearl...9/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
    Somethings not quite right about all this... I’ve heard a few times that people who had terminal diseases had Covid put down as cause of death when really it was cancer or pneumonia

There are no Covid patients in the Heath at the moment, yet I’m not sure the hospital is up and running again saving the lives of far more people who are no doubt avoiding going there at all costs.

We are capable of living with the virus but many people have a 'not me' attitude and do not follow the rules...handwashing, social distancing, good ventilation..all straightforward stuff.

Got on a 'Valleys Line' train a couple of weeks ago. Some without masks, some ignoring distancing rules, only one window open in the carriage, ....

Yesterday at the fishmonger in Cardiff market, had to ask a couple why they had to rub shoulders with me in order to select some fish.

And we all know about 'illegal' gatherings, crowds outside and inside Clubs, and an inept police force that just seems to look on

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Just been listening to a scientist on the radio saying that this "moonshot" scheme could feasibly work, but it just sounds so Johnson doesn't it? An announcement made about some grandiose scheme, stacks of media coverage and then, just as with the tracing app and the world beating track and trace system, it fizzles out into either mediocrity or non existence. When he was Lord Mayor of London, they were vanity projects which had little effect on people's lives, but the stakes are completely different now and people's lives are at stake.

When has one of Johnson's predictions regarding Covid been shown to be correct? He and his party still enjoy the support of millions, but I would suggest that, when it comes to the virus, they do not have the confidence of the country because of a combination of bungling and the clear breach of trust created by the Dominic Cummings episode.

The devolved Governments of the other home countries appear to have retained the trust of most people and back in March when Johnson addressed the country about the virus, polls showed that a large majority were behind him, but now the reaction will be different I feel - on Tuesday, a Government Minister admitted to the Commons that Johnson's Government were proposing to break international law when it comes to Brexit and a day later he's threatening people with fines if they do not obey laws that come in on Monday, it's not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/12/nearl...9/?ito=cbshare

I know someone who uncle went in with pneumonia ( he suffers alot with it ), while they were treating it, he tested + for covid19, he recovered from that and went home, a number of week later he has rushed back in with pneumonia again

he doesnt make it , the death certificate said he died of Covid19 ? ? ? ? despite he testing negative for it and returning home

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I know someone who uncle went in with pneumonia ( he suffers alot with it ), while they were treating it, he tested + for covid19, he recovered from that and went home, a number of week later he has rushed back in with pneumonia again

he doesnt make it , the death certificate said he died of Covid19 ? ? ? ? despite he testing negative for it and returning home
    You mean they tested him a second time for covid and then he was negative?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You mean they tested him a second time for covid and then he was negative?
    yes the 2nd test was negative and he went home

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    yes the 2nd test was negative and he went home
    Isn't this a case where the initial symptoms of Covid had dispersed but the damage caused by the virus were still present? The two people I know who had Covid months ago are still not back to full health.

International

This whole thing about cause of death is just because of the reporting so far as I understand the rules.
    Covid 19 is a 'reportable' disease so if there any suspicion of the virus being present or causal then the doctor certifying death must state it on the death certificate. He has no choice.