+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    apparently you will not be able to tell the affect a 2 week lockdown has had until about a week after it ends, so a three week lockdown would make more sense.
    It links in with Mark Drakeford's remark that the 2 weeks will be used for them to decide how much further they might have to go to control this.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on this stopping on 9 August!!!
    I think Drakeford and his team are completely over the top with this latest lockdown. To cover all of Wales including those areas with relatively low incidence is going to cause unnecessary hardship. He is very fond of knee jerk reaction which is evident by the 113 pieces of Covid related emergency legislation he has put in place in the last six months.
    And we have to wait until Friday to hear what he intends to introduce once this total lockdown ends on 9 November.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I think Drakeford and his team are completely over the top with this latest lockdown. To cover all of Wales including those areas with relatively low incidence is going to cause unnecessary hardship. He is very fond of knee jerk reaction which is evident by the 113 pieces of Covid related emergency legislation he has put in place in the last six months.
    And we have to wait until Friday to hear what he intends to introduce once this total lockdown ends on 9 November.
    It's a politician's moment in the sun. Standing at a rostrum knowing they have a large captive audience, delivering a solemn warning of dire things ahead, stretching their words out so there's a gap of seconds between each one. They're lovin' it. Drakeford will be forgotten and consigned to history when it's all over - he's positively thriving at the moment..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54607893

Wales' lockdown job support gap 'a barrier to firms'

Only 4 days ago you said

"At the end of the day our democratically elected government is responsible. By all means listen to everyone views, the government then needs to decide what action should be taken. Otherwise we are moving towards anarchy."

What changed your mind?

There’s a lot of businesses in Pembrokeshire and west wales that were relying on that trade continuing until November. Who knows what will happen to them now. Strange how it’s been busier than ever down that way for the last 3 months yet no Covid outbreaks? People staying at a place I let just cancelled, coming from Buckinghamshire where there is also very low Covid. I can live with it but my cleaner lost £80 x at least 10 places, so did the laundry, mine had booked into 3 pubs to eat so they lose out too. I’m sure the list is endless.
    There are tests that give you a result in 20 mins ffs. Why do only private companies have them, yet we blow billions? And they wonder why no one is listening anymore......

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Only 4 days ago you said

"At the end of the day our democratically elected government is responsible. By all means listen to everyone views, the government then needs to decide what action should be taken. Otherwise we are moving towards anarchy."

What changed your mind?
    As you know that comment related to the Manchester stand off. However, it's true for the Senedd as well.

Thing about Drakeford is that he seems to listen only to the views of his technical advisors. He said as much in his speech. He doesn't appear to listen to everyone's views. He also exaggerates.......are all the intensive care beds in Wales full....no they are not, so why does he say it?
    He doesn't appear to be concerned at all about the impact on the Welsh economy. I don't think he understands business. In the short term the Treasury pick up most of the bill for the economic lockdown in Wales, and I don't think he's considered the longer term impact on business.
    There was an interesting comment from a nurse on the radio this morning. She said that if all the money spent on lockdowns to protect the NHS had been spent instead on the NHS, things might be very different.

As you know that comment related to the Manchester stand off. However, it's true for the Senedd as well.

Thing about Drakeford is that he seems to listen only to the views of his technical advisors. He said as much in his speech. He doesn't appear to listen to everyone's views. He also exaggerates.......are all the intensive care beds in Wales full....no they are not, so why does he say it?
    He doesn't appear to be concerned at all about the impact on the Welsh economy. I don't think he understands business. In the short term the Treasury pick up most of the bill for the economic lockdown in Wales, and I don't think he's considered the longer term impact on business.
    There was an interesting comment from a nurse on the radio this morning. She said that if all the money spent on lockdowns to protect the NHS had been spent instead on the NHS, things might be very different.
    He doesn’t care about the economy though, he probably thinks the repercussions of it will just fall at the door of the tories, causing them more problems, which he will love.

He seems to think that he can turn on and off sectors of the economy like a tap.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...ustry-19128408

'It's a kick in the teeth' Wales' pubs, cafes and restaurants react to the fire-break lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He seems to think that he can turn on and off sectors of the economy like a tap.
    Drakeford is taking the action he has because he doesn't have to pay for the consequences. £300m of the cost of Wales firebreak will come from the UK government as will the Furlough Mk2 payments. If the money was to be funded from Welsh coffers we would end up with a different strategy along the lines of local lockdowns as in England.

The bit I couldn't quite follow on your original post was that Drakeford has been knee jerk because of 113 pieces of emergency legislation had been put in place since the outbreak. I tried on google to find the supporting evidence but the only thing that I could find was a letter from someone in Brynmawr quoting that number as fact.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...-big-lockdown/

There are around that number of entries on the gov.wales website covering Welsh legislation imposing coronavirus restrictions, Revoked coronavirus restrictions legislation, Guidance on the principal Regulations, and related coronavirus legislation.

https://gov.wales/coronavirus-legisl...d-guidance-law

Lots of the amendments are applying local restrictions as they arose and particular restrictions on air travel destinations. I don't have the English equivalent of emergency legislation but given the number of lockdowns there it is likely to be a larger amount of regulatory change in an equivalent time. Obviously this was introduced rationally, non-anarchically rather than in the kneejerk fashion it was in Wales.

There may be cogent arguments to criticise the Welsh Government for how they acted and when but bandying around legislative numbers, perhaps because they are circulating as talking points in the Welsh Conservative party members' twittersphere is unlikely to further them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...ustry-19128408

'It's a kick in the teeth' Wales' pubs, cafes and restaurants react to the fire-break lockdown
    I wonder if pubs will get a cash windfall like last time? He said every business with a rateable value will get £1000, more like £5000 if you turnover more than £50k

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The bit I couldn't quite follow on your original post was that Drakeford has been knee jerk because of 113 pieces of emergency legislation had been put in place since the outbreak. I tried on google to find the supporting evidence but the only thing that I could find was a letter from someone in Brynmawr quoting that number as fact.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...-big-lockdown/

There are around that number of entries on the gov.wales website covering Welsh legislation imposing coronavirus restrictions, Revoked coronavirus restrictions legislation, Guidance on the principal Regulations, and related coronavirus legislation.

https://gov.wales/coronavirus-legisl...d-guidance-law

Lots of the amendments are applying local restrictions as they arose and particular restrictions on air travel destinations. I don't have the English equivalent of emergency legislation but given the number of lockdowns there it is likely to be a larger amount of regulatory change in an equivalent time. Obviously this was introduced rationally, non-anarchically rather than in the kneejerk fashion it was in Wales.

There may be cogent arguments to criticise the Welsh Government for how they acted and when but bandying around legislative numbers, perhaps because they are circulating as talking points in the Welsh Conservative party members' twittersphere is unlikely to further them.
    Im sure our friend from Brynmawr who quoted 113 bits of legislation took just as much trouble looking up the numbers as you are obviously doing. I spent 5 mins on google. Deeside.com shows Wales Gov saying over 50 before mid- July. I then quickly found another 34 since that time on Wales Gov website and Ive not got as far as the latest lockdown legislation. So overall the number of 113 looks solid.

I still maintain this a knee jerk reaction, and if it were otherwise Im sure he'd not be fudging what might happen to us after 9 November. He can't be waiting see the result of the lockdown as he said it will not show a result for some weeks

Im sure our friend from Brynmawr who quoted 113 bits of legislation took just as much trouble looking up the numbers as you are obviously doing. I spent 5 mins on google. Deeside.com shows Wales Gov saying over 50 before mid- July. I then quickly found another 34 since that time on Wales Gov website and Ive not got as far as the latest lockdown legislation. So overall the number of 113 looks solid.

I still maintain this a knee jerk reaction, and if it were otherwise Im sure he'd not be fudging what might happen to us after 9 November. He can't be waiting see the result of the lockdown as he said it will not show a result for some weeks
    Tens of thousands of people unnecessarily died because the government locked down too slowly earlier in the year. I can't really blame him for wanting to act more decisively this time around. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

One thing's for sure, there will be a lot of people comparing the number of cases between England and Wales in a fortnight's time and saying it means that their preferred political party made the better decision.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Tens of thousands of people unnecessarily died because the government locked down too slowly earlier in the year. I can't really blame him for wanting to act more decisively this time around. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

One thing's for sure, there will be a lot of people comparing the number of cases between England and Wales in a fortnight's time and saying it means that their preferred political party made the better decision.
    The same posters accusing Drakeford of a "knee jerk reaction" etc are the same ones who previously accused him of following in Boris' steps and not having his own plan.

He makes his own decisions = he's wrong.

He chooses the same path as the UK Govt. = he's wrong.

Hypocrisy, thy name is CCMB.

Northern Ireland's circuit breaker is for four weeks.
    Ireland's tier 5 light lockdown is for six weeks.
    Reports from Manchester is that Tier 3 funding argument over £5 million is that UK government are budgeting for Manchester to be under those restrictions for up to 6 months and therefore do not want to increase spending for regions in Tier 3.

Feels like Drakeford has had his hands tied a bit by not being able to offer financial support for a longer circuit-break and there being a lack of political will for longer option here. It also feels that he has waited too long to introduce measures if wanting a short, sharp response. If there is low compliance as well then it's likely we move towards something more like Manchester where wet-pubs are shut for potentially several months with lots of people pushed back into 5 week wait for Universal Credit.

*not back into because UC accounts don't close for a period of 6 months and therefore most will be able to access money more quickly. New claimants waiting 5 weeks, those being pushed back into it not so.

Pretty grisly figures everywhere today I'm afraid, 1,148 new cases in Wales, 21k plus in the U.K. with 241 deaths.

1 hour tests at Heathrow T5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54604100

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The same posters accusing Drakeford of a "knee jerk reaction" etc are the same ones who previously accused him of following in Boris' steps and not having his own plan.

He makes his own decisions = he's wrong.

He chooses the same path as the UK Govt. = he's wrong.

Hypocrisy, thy name is CCMB.

It might be right to have a lockdown, what he, I think, refers to as a deep lockdown with retail closed, hospitality closed et., But surely not necessary in all parts of Wales. If Caerphilly got down to the same sort of incidence as Pembroke it would be hailed as a great success, yet Pembroke is to feel the full weight of his lockdown. Knee-jerk reaction?

The timing seems to be led by the fact that we are heading into a half term break, maybe that's why there is 5 days between announcement and action. But is the timing right? It falls between two UK compensation schemes which makes it difficult for all affected. Also there are a lot of distractions...Halloween, Bonfire Night, Wales rugby v Scotland, all within the lockdown period and all a reason to gather in groups in peoples homes. Knee-jerk reaction?

I hope its successful and I wish he would be up front and tell us now what's planned from 9 Nov, so that we can all get on and plan our lives, both business and pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We need these everywhere, aren’t they the ones boris said 10 million a day were to made soon?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54614002

Welsh ministers say they cannot rule out imposing another firebreak lockdown early in 2021 if Covid-19 starts spreading quickly again at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We need these everywhere, aren’t they the ones boris said 10 million a day were to made soon?
    Hes gone quiet on that.

Fist pumping 10 million tests. Operation Moonshot or some bollox.

It's amazing how much bilge we get from the Tories on here. What happened to "we're all in this together"? What a load of bollocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It's amazing how much bilge we get from the Tories on here. What happened to "we're all in this together"? What a load of bollocks!
    Of course everything said by Labour supporters is correct. Would it ever be possible for you to disagree with anything Labour does?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Of course everything said by Labour supporters is correct. Would it ever be possible for you to disagree with anything Labour does?
    Gosh you've taken your time! I was expecting you to elbow in. Of course it would be possible for me to disagree; I'm just waiting for them to put a foot wrong. Obviously, there's still time for them to make mistakes.