Can’t come soon enough

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Can’t come soon enough
    Yeah. Much needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think the rest of us should pay for the consequences of different arrangements in Scotland if they choose to go a different way when the money for furlough comes from UK coffers and costs the Scottish government nothing. The question here is whether Wales will follow the arrangements in England by extending their firebreak which is due to end next week.

Drakeford has just announced on Sky news the Welsh firebreak will end on 9 November and won't be extended. There you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Drakeford has just announced on Sky news the Welsh firebreak will end on 9 November and won't be extended. There you have it.
    I'll be amazed if there aren't additional restrictions though. No local lockdowns but can't see pubs and people visiting houses been opened up just yet.

I don't think the rest of us should pay for the consequences of different arrangements in Scotland if they choose to go a different way when the money for furlough comes from UK coffers and costs the Scottish government nothing. The question here is whether Wales will follow the arrangements in England by extending their firebreak which is due to end next week.
    So you're fine with the fact that if Wales, Scotland or the North of England have to go into a lockdown then the treasury don't want to know, but if it's the south east of England then they find the money somehow?

This is not a Union.

Yes he was just on 5 live - the "firebreak" will be over, but I'd imagine there will still be some restrictions.
    Shops will open up though I'm sure.

There was a guy on before him saying that these things would be more effective if the whole country were doing the same thing, which they put to Mark Drakeford.

His response was quite telling:

They received advice to go into a lockdown in a COBRA meeting - he repeatedly asked for another COBRA meeting to discuss and coordinate a lockdown, but was repeatedly denied, so they had to make the decision alone.

When we went into the lockdown it was promised to be 17 days, and people have put up with very severe restrictions on the understanding that it would be a short time. So they aren't going to go back on their word and extend it.

I tkink that's fair enough really.

Of course there should have been a coordinated lockdown to tie in with the half term break.

Boris and co insisted they were not going to do that though.

Drakeford has always said 17 days with tight restrictions.

Would he have made it longer and maybe agreed to the 4 weeks with the lesser restrictions and knowing furlough would be extended.?

Having the lockdown tieing in with half term was absolutely rignt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Of course there should have been a coordinated lockdown to tie in with the half term break.

Would he have made it longer and maybe agreed to the 4 weeks with the lesser restrictions and knowing furlough would be extended.?

I was thinking this yesterday. He may have gone longer initially but couldn't afford to and now he's in the place of can't really go back on his word.
    See what happens today i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'll be amazed if there aren't additional restrictions though. No local lockdowns but can't see pubs and people visiting houses been opened up just yet.
    No household mixing but reckon pubs will be open if you order food

No household mixing but reckon pubs will be open if you order food
    I think pubs will just be open.

Read somewhere that if gyms are told to shut they are going to refuse to until the government produce evidence they are not safe....interesting

So you're fine with the fact that if Wales, Scotland or the North of England have to go into a lockdown then the treasury don't want to know, but if it's the south east of England then they find the money somehow?

This is not a Union.
    The point I'm making is that if political decisions are taken in Scotland then the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for it. Of course if the Scots and Welsh took a coordinated line, as I believe they should, then they should be entitled to receive furlough money. We are not going to agree but that's my opinion if I'm allowed that on here although I accept it is becoming difficult to express counter views.

The point I'm making is that if political decisions are taken in Scotland then the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for it. Of course if the Scots and Welsh took a coordinated line, as I believe they should, then they should be entitled to receive furlough money. We are not going to agree but that's my opinion if I'm allowed that on here although I accept it is becoming difficult to express counter views.
    That only works if the other countries aren't tied to the money they get from Westminster.

Read somewhere that if gyms are told to shut they are going to refuse to until the government produce evidence they are not safe....interesting
    It must be a nightmare for them. Gyms and businesses are running witn reduced income and have shelved out loads of cash to comply with Covid regs.

I am not one to knock Boris and the government over this pandemic, they are learning as they go, the whole thing is fluid and can change by the day

BUT of course tieing it into 1/2 term was the sensible option, a strange decision not to

When we went into the lockdown it was promised to be 17 days, and people have put up with very severe restrictions on the understanding that it would be a short time.
    In terms of the Welsh 'firebreak' lockdown, has anyone not done something they were intending to do or done anything differently as a result of the WAG's new restrictions? I'm genuinely interested to know if that's the case.

On a personal level, absolutely nothing has changed. Until today, when I began my first proper break since this all began, I've been working in the office as usual. The handful of colleagues who have been working from the office in recent months have been doing likewise. My partner's unable to go to the gym, which is a big miss for her as she's unable to follow a regular exercise routine recommended by her NHS physiotherapist to alleviate a back problem, but apart from that nothing has changed.

The pubs, restaurants and shops being closed hasn't affected me at all, but I'm sure that's different for plenty of people. That's the only real difference I can think of by comparison to recent months apart from the restriction on visits from friends and relatives, but in my experience people aren't abiding by that rule to any great degree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In terms of the Welsh 'firebreak' lockdown, has anyone not done something they were intending to do or done anything differently as a result of the WAG's new restrictions? I'm genuinely interested to know if that's the case.

On a personal level, absolutely nothing has changed. Until today, when I began my first proper break since this all began, I've been working in the office as usual. The handful of colleagues who have been working from the office in recent months have been doing likewise. My partner's unable to go to the gym, which is a big miss for her as she's unable to follow a regular exercise routine recommended by her NHS physiotherapist to alleviate a back problem, but apart from that nothing has changed.

The pubs, restaurants and shops being closed hasn't affected me at all, but I'm sure that's different for plenty of people. That's the only real difference I can think of by comparison to recent months apart from the restriction on visits from friends and relatives, but in my experience people aren't abiding by that to any great degree.
    I MIGHT have gone into the office on one day perhaps, and probably ould have gone out for a meal for my mother's birthday, but other than that nothing's changed

I MIGHT have gone into the office on one day perhaps, and probably ould have gone out for a meal for my mother's birthday, but other than that nothing's changed
    I guess the latter could be quite significant if replicated across the country.

The pubs, restaurants and shops being closed hasn't affected me at all, but I'm sure that's different for plenty of people. That's the only real difference I can think of by comparison to recent months apart from the restriction on visits from friends and relatives, but in my experience people aren't abiding by that rule to any great degree.
    Gym for me, I go most days. Take the kids for breakfast now and again. Few Halloween things that couldn’t happen but apart from that nothing different....

I guess the latter could be quite significant if replicated across the country.
    There would have been more than 100k birthdays in Wales during the lockdown period so you'd have though that will be being felt somewhere

OH and I couldn't take the kids trick or treating

I would have gone to the pub.
    Gone to a cafe.
    Ive wanted a pair of walking boots so would have gone to the shop just to check fit. However bought online instead ( not Amazon)
    I would have gone into the office for one day and again this week.
    Gone to get my Daughters Ipad fixed.