+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Heisenberg

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Thanks for that. The local Bridge Club should be OK then.
    Absolutely. As long as they are "held under the control of an individual or an organisation who takes all the steps that the law requires in Wales to make sure that that activity is run, or that setting is organised, in a way that minimises the risk".

Can you keep a social distance of 2 metres from everyone whilst playing bridge, lisvaneblue?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Well he was confused because he had a son plus wife and kids living in one part of Wales, a daughter plus family in another part of Wales and he was looking forward to them all getting together
    You didn't make that clear earlier (as shown by some of the responses from other posters) but I knew what you meant. It's still the guy's fault for not understanding the rules.

2 households allowed in a bubble, but in this instance the guy is talking about 3 households - which is clearly forbidden and clearly stated in the new restrictions.

Im suprised after a 17 day lockdown about the easing of some of these restrictions like travel.

The 17 day lockdown is bound to have an affect but to what extent.

Tieing in this lockdown with Half Term seems an obvious thing to do. Is it long enough though and would we have gone into longer one if Furlough had been extended and co ordinated with the rest of the UK.?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You didn't make that clear earlier (as shown by some of the responses from other posters) but I knew what you meant. It's still the guy's fault for not understanding the rules.

2 households allowed in a bubble, but in this instance the guy is talking about 3 households - which is clearly forbidden and clearly stated in the new restrictions.
    Hopefully someone in the other 2 households realises and sticks to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hopefully someone in the other 2 households realises and sticks to the rules.
    This sort of thing has been my main concern during the firebreak lockdown and why I'm wondering how effective it will prove to be. Firstly, I'm not sure what percentage of people have understood the rules. But perhaps more importantly, I'm certain a significant percentage haven't really cared.

During the first lockdown, I thought most of the public reacted remarkably well to the restrictions. I live in a relatively quiet and secluded street, so you tend to notice visitors arriving. We were something like four or five weeks into the first lockdown before I saw anyone at all visit any of my neighbours. This time around we were just a day and a half into it when one of the neighbours was visited by her son, his partner and their kid. She's a nurse, incidentally. Meanwhile, other neighbours have also had visitors of one sort or another at various points during the last week.

I think ignorance of the rules is a significant factor, but I think lockdown fatigue is far more significant. Way back in March the experts predicted that the government could only expect the public to adhere to social restrictions for a limited amount of time before people started bending or ignoring the rules and I'm certain they were correct.

Its hard to disagree with that Gunman.

What would you like to see happen?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    This sort of thing has been my main concern during the firebreak lockdown and why I'm wondering how effective it will prove to be. Firstly, I'm not sure what percentage of people have understood the rules. But perhaps more importantly, I'm certain a significant percentage haven't really cared.

During the first lockdown, I thought most of the public reacted remarkably well to the restrictions. I live in a relatively quiet and secluded street, so you tend to notice visitors arriving. We were something like four or five weeks into the first lockdown before I saw anyone at all visit any of my neighbours. This time around we were just a day and a half into it when one of the neighbours was visited by her son, his partner and their kid. She's a nurse, incidentally. Meanwhile, other neighbours have also had visitors of one sort or another at various points during the last week.

I think ignorance of the rules is a significant factor, but I think lockdown fatigue is far more significant. Way back in March the experts predicted that the government could only expect the public to adhere to social restrictions for a limited amount of time before people started bending or ignoring the rules and I'm certain they were correct.
    I think the Cummings saga had an effect too. They didn't even need to sack him, just give him a slap on the wrist but the fact they tried to weasel their way out of it really put people off.

I think this is another problem would her not coming in mean she wouldn't earn at all?

It's still very selfish but if it's a difference between paying rent and not paying rent I think a fair few would do the same.

Its hard to disagree with that Gunman.

What would you like to see happen?
    I honestly don't know. The restrictions have become so complicated, the messaging is so blurred and much of the population is simply sick to the back teeth of the whole thing, so I've no idea where we can realistically go from here. The so-called experts don't seem to be able to agree with one other, let alone the members of the public, while the politicians on all sides have made a complete mess of things since day one.

It's a grim situation and it looks set to get significantly worse in the coming months. If the Welsh firebreak lockdown has had a genuinely positive effect I think it would be a huge bonus as I reckon it would give people a bit of renewed optimism and focus minds a bit, but my hopes for that aren't high based on my own experiences.

Drakeford has been saying that early indications are rhat people have been complying with the firebreak as far traffic is concerned. As it turns out, I've had to use my car a fair bit more than I usually would in the past ten days or so and there was less traffic about last week, but I was thinking that could be down to the schools being off. I was stuck in a queue yesterday morning, but the main roads are so narrow up here that it only needs a school bus to stop for a while, as happened yesterday, and you're guaranteed quite a long tail back. That said, the roads do seem to be a bit more busy this week and, based on what I've seen, I'd say the firebreak has had an effect, but maybe not as much as had been hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Absolutely. As long as they are "held under the control of an individual or an organisation who takes all the steps that the law requires in Wales to make sure that that activity is run, or that setting is organised, in a way that minimises the risk".

Can you keep a social distance of 2 metres from everyone whilst playing bridge, lisvaneblue?
    Well the winks and nods should be OK but no more touching knees and kicking shoes under the table. Takes a lot of the fun away

I honestly don't know. The restrictions have become so complicated, the messaging is so blurred and much of the population is simply sick to the back teeth of the whole thing, so I've no idea where we can realistically go from here. The so-called experts don't seem to be able to agree with one other, let alone the members of the public, while the politicians on all sides have made a complete mess of things since day one.

It's a grim situation and it looks set to get significantly worse in the coming months. If the Welsh firebreak lockdown has had a genuinely positive effect I think it would be a huge bonus as I reckon it would give people a bit of renewed optimism and focus minds a bit, but my hopes for that aren't high based on my own experiences.
    Its going to be a long Winter for sure.

One hope is with all the social distancing and restrictions and hopefully an increase in people having the flu jab then the number of flu infections and therefore deaths from flu should be down.

I think a lot of people are also setting into a new normal. Could be a long time before we are back to where we were last year.

Hopefully Trump getting booted out will lift some of the gloom.

I agree with your concern. A week into the lockdown a neighbour of mine took his 12 year old son away to England for a short break. His wife didn't go with them but decided to go and stay with her elderly parents in Caerphilly for a few days.

Its going to be a long Winter for sure.

One hope is with all the social distancing and restrictions and hopefully an increase in people having the flu jab then the number of flu infections and therefore deaths from flu should be down.

I think a lot of people are also setting into a new normal. Could be a long time before we are back to where we were last year.

Hopefully Trump getting booted out will lift some of the gloom.
    As soon as we get the mass home testing going, the hour test, we can begin to live. The vaccine January time for the 2% of the population who need it most will be another massive boost. A new political system in a Spring and we can all go disco

Only 4 deaths today, and the numbers are usually higher on a Tuesday as they're catching up from the weekend - could that be a tentative sign that the lockdown is starting to work?

It'll be interesting to see the weekly hospital admissions data as I think that should be updated tomorrow, as that was starting to rise rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Only 4 deaths today, and the numbers are usually higher on a Tuesday as they're catching up from the weekend - could that be a tentative sign that the lockdown is starting to work?
    I'd say the new cases figure of just over 1,100, while not great, may be a sign of encouragement. As you say, Tuesday isn't normally a good day for the stats, so that figure may be a sign that things are improving, but it'd need two or three days of similar figures before any conclusions could be drawn. Four deaths is good by recent standards, but that figure would be the last one to start showing any firebreak influence and I fear it'll be something of a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No. It's way too early for the deaths figures to be affected by the firebreak.

International

No. It's way too early for the deaths figures to be affected by the firebreak.
    The positive test figure was still going up late last week.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say the new cases figure of just over 1,100, while not great, may be a sign of encouragement. As you say, Tuesday isn't normally a good day for the stats, so that figure may be a sign that things are improving, but it'd need two or three days of similar figures before any conclusions could be drawn. Four deaths is good by recent standards, but that figure would be the last one to start showing any firebreak influence and I fear it'll be something of a one off.
    yes good point

More great work from the WAG:

From 9th November, groups of four people from different households will be allowed to meet indoors at pubs, cafes and restaurants. Larger groups of people who all live in the same house will be allowed to eat and drink out together. However, Drakeford has confirmed that meeting people from outside a household bubble in a private garden will not be allowed.

Genius. Absolute genius.

More great work from the WAG:

From 9th November, groups of four people from different households will be allowed to meet indoors at pubs, cafes and restaurants. Larger groups of people who all live in the same house will be allowed to eat and drink out together. However, Drakeford has confirmed that meeting people from outside a household bubble in a private garden will not be allowed.

Genius. Absolute genius.
    I presume that it'll be the same inside a house as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No idea. It's all about household bubbles and extended household bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes.