+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

International

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They certainly lose a lot of respect if they do. It’s not following the science is it.....
    That is the problem he has, there was never any caveat on it, it was an absolute statement by him and Gethin. The lockdown will end on Monday. They have also said there will be no more local lockdowns, that they will in future use whole nation actions.
    so where that leaves them on Monday morning I really don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That is the problem he has, there was never any caveat on it, it was an absolute statement by him and Gethin. The lockdown will end on Monday. They have also said there will be no more local lockdowns, that they will in future use whole nation actions.
    They were crazy to do that. By their own admission they said that the effects of the 2 week lockdown would take a further week or two to manifest themselves. All they had to do was to say that they reserved the right to extend the lockdown in the hotspot areas. How do we know that the majority of people in Merthyr for example might not indeed be happy to extend the lockdown there for their own safety? Obviously there will be those freethinkers in "Trump mode" who couldn't care less about the effect on their neighbours!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Im sure I heard a interview in the last few days saying if there was something exceptional locally then they may do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    They were crazy to do that. By their own admission they said that the effects of the 2 week lockdown would take a further week or two to manifest themselves. All they had to do was to say that they reserved the right to extend the lockdown in the hotspot areas. How do we know that the majority of people in Merthyr for example might not indeed be happy to extend the lockdown there for their own safety? Obviously there will be those freethinkers in "Trump mode" who couldn't care less about the effect on their neighbours!
    Plus the people in areas of high cases can now travel outside their area. Just in time for Christmas shopping.

The bad news is that there were 32 deaths in Wales, but new cases were below a thousand for the first time in a while. One day doesn't prove anything and the number of tests looks a bit lower than normal, but maybe the firebreak influence is being seen?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The bad news is that there were 32 deaths in Wales, but new cases were below a thousand for the first time in a while. One day doesn't prove anything and the number of tests looks a bit lower than normal, but maybe the firebreak influence is being seen?
    Im sure the firebreak will have an affect Bob but the virus is so widespread now I cant see it doing much more than bringing it down to what it was. More or less just stopping it getting much worse.

If that is the case having less restrictions than when we went into it doesnt make any sense.

I reckon with furlough now extended we will be back in lockdown before the New Year and for longer. Minimum pubs will be shut for the New Year.

RCT covid cases last 4 days

So still high but reducing.

Come next week, it looks as though thousands of people will be travelling to Cardiff from the valleys for work by train, car and bus infecting people just because Drakeford promised not to extend the lockdown. If that isn't irresponsible I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Come next week, it looks as though thousands of people will be travelling to Cardiff from the valleys for work by train, car and bus infecting people just because Drakeford promised not to extend the lockdown. If that isn't irresponsible I don't know what is.
    thousands of people have been travelling to Cardiff from the valleys for work by train, car and bus regardless of the lockdown. You're allowed to travel for work if required

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I don't see how the Welsh government will allow the firebreak to end in Merthyr and other areas with high levels of COVID. That would be thoroughly irresponsible.

In this pandemic governments need to be flexible and not make statements saying restrictions should end on a particular date come what may. So, is Drakeford saying the firebreak will end on Monday irrespective of the number of COVID cases?
    Crazy...but the pubs will be open in Merthyr on Monday, the science ignored as politics take precedence.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Crazy...but the pubs will be open in Merthyr on Monday, the science ignored as politics take precedence.
    whereas everybody knows the only thing that should take precedence over science is meat from your favourite butcher

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    whereas everybody knows the only thing that should take precedence over science is meat from your favourite butcher
    Wrong...no one in science has said that that you catch Covid-19 driving alone in a car with the windows closed. And don't forget when Drakeford put Lockdown 1 in place neither Cardiff nor Brecon had the sort of incidence of infection that's around now. The 5 mile travel rule was another example of politics taking precedence. Stupid rule that made Wales look daft.

😂😂😂😂😂

thousands of people have been travelling to Cardiff from the valleys for work by train, car and bus regardless of the lockdown. You're allowed to travel for work if required
    Wouldn't it also mean thousands of people from high COVID areas walking around the city centre, visiting cafes, pubs, bars, and shops etc during lunchtimes and after work which is additional to what happens at the moment?

Wrong...no one in science has said that that you catch Covid-19 driving alone in a car with the windows closed. And don't forget when Drakeford put Lockdown 1 in place neither Cardiff nor Brecon had the sort of incidence of infection that's around now. The 5 mile travel rule was another example of politics taking precedence. Stupid rule that made Wales look daft.
    Come off it. Since March lots has been learned about the virus, how it spreads, what we can do as a society etc. There appears now to be a priority that kids should go to school so parents can work. Lockdown once virus rates get too high. Earlier on in the year, politicians around the UK and further afield were veering on the ultra defensive side with virus prevention the priority. Some rules were made that didn't make much sense, but the overwhelming rule was that people needed to stay at home and travel as little and stay as near to home as possible.

You've used dozens of excuses as to why you should have been able to go to Brecon. I'm absolutely certain if Boris Johnson had come out with the 5 mile rule and the Welsh Government had done something differently, it would still have been the fault of the Welsh Government according to you.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Come off it. Since March lots has been learned about the virus, how it spreads, what we can do as a society etc. There appears now to be a priority that kids should go to school so parents can work. Lockdown once virus rates get too high. Earlier on in the year, politicians around the UK and further afield were veering on the ultra defensive side with virus prevention the priority. Some rules were made that didn't make much sense, but the overwhelming rule was that people needed to stay at home and travel as little and stay as near to home as possible.

You've used dozens of excuses as to why you should have been able to go to Brecon. I'm absolutely certain if Boris Johnson had come out with the 5 mile rule and the Welsh Government had done something differently, it would still have been the fault of the Welsh Government according to you.
    Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

As you know by now I do obey the rules. A lot has been learned about the virus and basically how it spreads. Its also known that alone in a car there is no way you can catch the virus. So I couldn't drive to a butchers in Brecon as its more than 5 miles from home, but I could drive to Rhiwbina and visit a butcher there.

It makes as much sense as the 'non essential ' items in supermarkets being blocked off. These stupid embellishments that the Senedd seem to enjoy throwing in the mix distract from their main messages and confuse people.

I noted that a new rule has been added for tomorrow. People will not be allowed to spend more than 2 hours in a pub or restaurant. Why add that to already comprehensive rules and regulations? It means people out for an evening are more likely to have move from place to place.

People need simple straightforward messages that they can make sense of.

I noted that a new rule has been added for tomorrow. People will not be allowed to spend more than 2 hours in a pub or restaurant. Why add that to already comprehensive rules and regulations? It means people out for an evening are more likely to have move from place to place. People need simple straightforward messages that they can make sense of.
    Apparently, this isn't a rule as such. It's a 'rule of thumb'. And it is, of course, utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was being flippant. However, it has often felt (to me at least) that Drakeford and Co are determined to do things differently to Johnson and his minions regardless of the circumstances. After all, if Wales has some of the highest infection rates in the UK, does it make any sense to start relaxing restrictions here? Is that really an example of following the science?
    Maybe the Science is saying that Lockdown isn't working, as the ***** can't stay out each overs houses.

As you know by now I do obey the rules. A lot has been learned about the virus and basically how it spreads. Its also known that alone in a car there is no way you can catch the virus. So I couldn't drive to a butchers in Brecon as its more than 5 miles from home, but I could drive to Rhiwbina and visit a butcher there.

It makes as much sense as the 'non essential ' items in supermarkets being blocked off. These stupid embellishments that the Senedd seem to enjoy throwing in the mix distract from their main messages and confuse people.

I noted that a new rule has been added for tomorrow. People will not be allowed to spend more than 2 hours in a pub or restaurant. Why add that to already comprehensive rules and regulations? It means people out for an evening are more likely to have move from place to place.

People need simple straightforward messages that they can make sense of.
    Certain people would moan whatever the decision, outcome etc.

Apparently, this isn't a rule as such. It's a 'rule of thumb'. And it is, of course, utter nonsense.
    This is the way I read it, nothing hard and fast and it is a bit of daft advice. I’ve two young girl relatives in their early 20s looking forward to the end of this lockdown and getting out for a night out, understandably so, I’d have cabin fever had I been their age during these times. Anyway they’ve more or less booked a two hour stay sort of pub crawl to avoid being disappointed if they only booked one pub and their night ended after a couple of hours. I’d have thought staying on your allocated table with waiter service for the whole evening is containing things considerably yet the two girls are following the rule of thumb announcement by flitting from bar to bar every couple of hours or is whoever thought up the two hour rule of thumb thing naively expecting folk on a much needed night out upping sticks after two hours with a ‘C’mon, time for home now’?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Maybe the Science is saying that Lockdown isn't working, as the ***** can't stay out each overs houses.
    I think the science has long since ceased to be the main factor in the decisions being made by any of the governments.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This is the way I read it, nothing hard and fast and it is a bit of daft advice.
    They don't think these things through properly. For instance, lots of people go to the pub to watch a game of football or rugby. How would that work if they were limited to a two-hour stay?

To me, this sort of thing is not only unnecessary, but it makes things more confusing for customers and staff alike. The rules should be clear and unequivocal, plain and simple, and the WAG has been told as much by the advisory committee. Nevertheless, they bring in new guidelines which include 'rules of thumb'. It's pathetic.

They don't think these things through properly. For instance, lots of people go to the pub to watch a game of football or rugby. How would that work if they were limited to a two-hour stay?

To me, this sort of thing is not only unnecessary, but it makes things more confusing for customers and staff alike. The rules should be clear and unequivocal, plain and simple, and the WAG has been told as much by the advisory committee. Nevertheless, they bring in new guidelines which include 'rules of thumb'. It's pathetic.
    Easy, leave on 75 minutes to beat the rush.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Easy, leave on 75 minutes to beat the rush.

To be honest, the whole thing leaves me cold. I really would like to go to the pub with a couple of mates some time soon, having done that only twice since mid-March, but it feels like it's just too much hassle. I'll definitely go for a meal or two with friends in the coming weeks, but the pub seems like a pain in the arse rather than a relaxing, enjoyable experience.