+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 51 of 350 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Her Tory hatred stems from well before this. I can see why her and Labour party member John Ashton are oft quoted.
    So you think it's more important that they "hate Tories" than that appear to be being proved right in what they've said?

Prof Helen Ward has a very interesting twitter account. Hint; hates Tories.

I wonder why she's forthright.
    Very common in academia. Every academic I knew under 40, and a pretty decent amount of those over 40, hated the Tories. Think that attitude changed, unsurprisingly, the further up the age and salary scale you went.

Prof Helen Ward has a very interesting twitter account. Hint; hates Tories.

I wonder why she's forthright.
    Perhaps that's the case. The more important thing though is whether she's being honest regarding advice offered - what do you think?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Of coure she hates the tories she's well educated in a scientific field
    She's one of those blasted experts that we have to ignore.

Her Tory hatred stems from well before this. I can see why her and Labour party member John Ashton are oft quoted.
    Imagine being this much of a fanboy of a political party, embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So you think it's more important that they "hate Tories" than that appear to be being proved right in what they've said?
    Not at all.

I'm more curious as to why the media seem to like using the likes of her and Ashton, the latter of which doesn't react well when his Labour links are revealed.

There's a difference between being right and relishing in being right.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Perhaps that's the case. The more important thing though is whether she's being honest regarding advice offered - what do you think?
    I've no reason to doubt she's being honest. I'm also sure she's relishing being right, for political reasons.

Not at all.

I'm more curious as to why the media seem to like using the likes of her and Ashton, the latter of which doesn't react well when his Labour links are revealed.

John Ashton was on Newsnight in January warning about Coronavirus. There may have been a degree of political point scoring going on then I don't know, but they've been proven to be prophetic words and, let's get this right, there would be plenty from the other end of the political spectrum "relishing" being right if the figures were making a case that the Government had been correct to put off introducing a lockdown for as long as they did.

Not at all.

For weeks the narrative was that the only qualified experts were those government employees we see on our screen every day.

Is anyone relishing being right or is that a suggestion which is meant to reduce trust in these experts? Gove saying UK had had enough of experts only landed because people were starting to feel/already felt the televised experts were becoming out-of-touch despite their concerns, thereafter ignored, being largely well founded. We're all on the same team here (we all want government to act responsibly and get it right as quickly and safely as possible) but some are saying it's uncouth to ask questions when they get it wrong or simply don't give us information, despite chancellor saying they welcome feedback, because it's "point scoring".

Be interesting to see what the plan will be to end the lockdown. I think it’s time to tell everyone how long it will be, in what order they then plan to do things, ie small shops opening, working, schools, pubs etc.....clearly we will be in lockdown for at least another 3 weeks, probably a few more before things can change.

We're not close to thinking about what the exit strategy should be, certainly nowhere near Government stating publicly.

Announce it now, moron element will then break lockdown, citing the exit strategy as something that would happen anyway.

International

We're not close to thinking about what the exit strategy should be, certainly nowhere near Government stating publicly.

Announce it now, moron element will then break lockdown, citing the exit strategy as something that would happen anyway.
    Announcing the plan now is what Sir keith is demanding. so then when it doesn't go exactly that way he can point the finger and say "You lied" or "You failed" Its easy to stand outside the tent and throw stones in, specially with hindsight..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    She definitely does but that will become the smear for any scientist whose analysis points the finger at the government.
    And of course any scientist who produces an analysis defending the government is just a lackey of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    And of course any scientist who produces an analysis defending the government is just a lackey of them!
    What analysis has been produced that defends the government?

I bet the government is doing little else.

You are right that they will resist stating it publicly - until they have no option.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Announcing the plan now is what Sir keith is demanding. so then when it doesn't go exactly that way he can point the finger and say "You lied" or "You failed" Its easy to stand outside the tent and throw stones in, specially with hindsight..
    You mean Her Majesty's Opposition would be doing what opposition parties have been doing for centuries?

Not so sure, think it’s been followed very well here in Cardiff and friends in most places around England say the same. Tell us another 3 weeks and most will cope seeing an end game.....there’s nothing worse than being in limbo state for us humans.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You mean Her Majesty's Opposition would be doing what opposition parties have been doing for centuries?
    LOL well spotted

Banned

Conversely, announcing the plan now could reduce skepticism in some sectors of the community meaning that lockdowns will be easier to enforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Yeah perhaps. Not by me though.

International

I expected a very big spike in death toll today after the long weekend, as there is normally one after every weekend, but sad though each death is it doesn't look as bad as it could be. Perhaps we are getting over the top of the curve?

Banned

I expected a very big spike in death toll today after the long weekend, as there is normally one after every weekend, but sad though each death is it doesn't look as bad as it could be. Perhaps we are getting over the top of the curve?

Hospital admissions seem to be plateauing which offers encouragement that the lockdown is having a positive effect on flattening the curves. Three of the last four days have seen fewer than 5000 new cases being reported too.

On 23/02/2020 Steve Hilton (former strategy adviser to David Cameron during coalition years) appeared in the news again promoting a study saying 130,000 people had lost their lives due to austerity politics. As with every study, there are limitation to report he was describing, however today* marks the first day that the recorded deaths for coronavirus world-wide has passed this 130,000 figure.

Coronavirus has quite rightly dominated news lately so perhaps an interesting comparison to something that was largely accepted at the time.

*some records have date as yesterday rather than today.

A big adjustment to previous figures from Wuhan overnight;-

"alert Wuhan (China), the epicenter of the pandemic, today reported 1,290 additional deaths that had not been previously counted and reported, bringing the total number of deaths in Wuhan from 2,579 to 3,869, an increase of 50%, as the result of a revision by the Wuhan New Coronary Pneumonia Epidemic Prevention and Control. As part of this revision, 325 additional cases in Wuhan were also added. Separately, China's National Health Commission (NHC) reported 26 new cases (and no deaths) in its daily report."

Taken from;-

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/china/