+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 58 of 350 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    It’s an interesting contradiction that The Times are questioning Boris whilst another Murdoch owned shiit sheet The Sun have practically canonised him for being a silly, nonchalant dick in catching Covid19.

Murdoch has realised that Boris serves Boris and as the bumbling bean bag flip flops on any principle or policy isn’t the most stable so we’re in agreement there

It could be though, here’s my ground breaking theory, some BoJo supporters have realised the bloke is a self serving, incapable dick?
    That is an interesting dichotomy, perhaps Murdoch is firing a shot across Johnson's bough with the Times with the threat of turning the Sun's readership against him if he doesn't give him what he wants.
    Who knows what that would be? the evisceration of the BBC probably.

Total speculation obviously, could be that Murdoch no longer takes as close an eye on the output of his organs (fnarr fnarr) and the different editors are taking a different approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hi mate. On the letters to the wrong addresses issue... Do you think the Labour assembly members actually wrote the addresses on the envelopes, licked the back of a stamp and personally took the letters to a post box?

Is it more likely that the admin staff, without a predetermined political stance (just like Tory voters working for the Labour-run Cardiff Council), made a f**k up on this one even though it's what they do for a living and can usually be trusted to get important mail to the correct recipients?

What competence should Drakeford, Gething et al, have shown in this instance to ensure this didn't happen? I've got a lot of gripes about the Welsh Assembly but admin staff f**king up isn't something that I'm blaming the higher ups for.
    Seem to be a lot of staff ****ups. Like when during last election, Welsh language material was sent by Welsh Assembly to the Scottish Highlands.

Based on that logic, UK government can't be blamed for mistakes made by those with delegated roles...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    The electorate are uninformed again now are they? A theory that was temporarily suspended in 2016 when 'everybody knew what they were voting for'.
    Not at all, I'm saying generational bias in favour of one party is always difficult to overcome. After all, the vitriole aimed at Tory voters is why so few self-identify publicly.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Seem to be a lot of staff ****ups. Like when during last election, Welsh language material was sent by Welsh Assembly to the Scottish Highlands.

Based on that logic, UK government can't be blamed for mistakes made by those with delegated roles...
    That's two f**k ups you've named. Might as well list them all now.

In regards to your other point, it depends if they're admin staff or prominent members of the cabinet, really, doesn't it?

For instance, I'm not going to blame the UK govt. if admin staff from Cardiff Job Centre send out mail to the wrong addresses even though they are part of the DWP (which is currently run by a Conservative Govt.) but I would blame them if, for example, Matt Hancock and Michael Gove lie on national TV about efforts the Govt. are making towards the pandemic.

That's a fair line to draw, I reckon.

International

From the live wales Croonavirus update

13:28
    No new testing target will be set
    The Welsh Government will not set a new target for how many people it aims to test for coronavirus in day, the first minister has said.

The administration hoped to get up to 5,000 tests a day by mid-April, but has abandoned the target after falling well short, with the current capacity being about 1,300 a day.

Mark Drakeford said he hoped to see the impact of the government's rapid review of testing application procedures "during this week".

Mr Drakeford held a meeting on Monday morning involving the military, Care Forum Wales and others aimed at turning recommendations of the review into “actions on the ground”.

“At the end of last week… we had tests available that weren't being taken up but that was partly because of the complexity of the system," he said.

“We’re using military planners to help us to streamline that system as best we can. You still have to have safeguards in the system, you've still got to make sure that people turn up at the right place at the right time, have the right to test for the right person.

"And that does take a bit of organising, but we are confident we can do it in a more streamlined way and that will mean more of tests are being taken up.

"What we've said in the rapid review is we will report every week on the number of tests available in the NHS in Wales on a daily basis, the number that are being taken up and the plans we have to increase that number over the week ahead.”

But he said he would not set a new target, citing one expert who believed the number became a distraction.

Article share tools

ShareView more share options
    Copy this link
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-w...ost_type=share

Read more about these links.

Posted at 13:2013:20
    5,000 tests a day 'not achievable in practice'
    A target to test 5,000 people a day for coronavirus in Wales was not achievable partly due to equipment not arriving on time, the first minister has said.

The Welsh Government had hoped to hit the target by mid April, but has fallen well short, with the capacity currently being about 1,300 a day.

Mark Drakeford said the targets, which have now been abandoned, had been given in "good faith", and he would not give a new target for how many tests he hoped they could achieve.

"The advice we had from people who help us develop testing is that we had confidence at that point we could get to 5,000 tests," he said.

“Because there was confidence in the number I thought it was right to share that number.

“As it has happened some of the things we were relying upon to allow us to get to the 5,000 number a day haven’t turned out to be achievable in practice, partly because some of those things are outside our own control.“

"We were relying on equipment coming to Wales from overseas. We were relying on some reagent chemicals coming to Wales from overseas. Those deliveries haven’t arrived to the timescale we had hoped.

Seems like a cunning plan. 'If we don't tell you what we're doing about it you can't blame us when we fail to do it.'

I wonder if the things they were relying on are like the PPE contract that never existed. Still never mind we can always blame England.

Yes, it'll be interesting to see the Labour stans blaming Johnson for that one...

International

Yes, it'll be interesting to see the Labour stans blaming Johnson for that one...
    Its not a political party its government. Government is so unweildly that they can never run the minutae. Thats why they have to call in the Armed Forces and other organisations to work out the practical bits.

What utter crap.

I've seen Labour supporters claiming Gordon Brown chaired COBRA during foot and mouth, completely ignoring the fact that was 2001, Brown PM 2007-10.

I've seen Labour activists claiming no PPE, their own Trust saying otherwise. Doesn't mean there aren't shortages in some Trusts but media portraying it as every Trust.

I've seen Ian Lavery saying this is a great opportunity for Labour to campaign.

I've seen Labour supporters abusing CMO, deputy CMO - including misogyny.

Are the government making mistakes, probably, every government almost certainly is in an unprecedented modern event.

As for the Times, since December they've been more and more anti-Johnson - not a fan of his, didn't vote for him as leader, but like it or not, he's PM. I suspect it's been co-ordinated and I suspect it's by a cabinet minister in particular Gove. Oh look, I've criticised a Tory there. There's in-fighting within Tories, not to the extent there is within Labour but I've little doubt some are actively briefing against the government. That briefing isn't just damaging the government as a whole, but also causing CMO, deputy CMO et al to get a lot of undeserved crap.

As for the media in general, the press conferences have been crap. Why? Because journos keep asking the same questions having been given the answer by the medical experts seconds before. Media are continually looking for a "gotcha", certain media people like Peston looking after own brand first - ie when he was schooled by deputy CMO and then played the victim on twitter.

You denounce what I say as "utter crap" and then spend seven paragraphs proving my point. interesting you said you didn't vote for Johnson as leader - around 99.8% of the UK population never got the chance to, were you one of the 0.2%?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    From the live wales Croonavirus update

13:28
    No new testing target will be set
    The Welsh Government will not set a new target for how many people it aims to test for coronavirus in day, the first minister has said.

The administration hoped to get up to 5,000 tests a day by mid-April, but has abandoned the target after falling well short, with the current capacity being about 1,300 a day.

Mark Drakeford said he hoped to see the impact of the government's rapid review of testing application procedures "during this week".

Mr Drakeford held a meeting on Monday morning involving the military, Care Forum Wales and others aimed at turning recommendations of the review into “actions on the ground”.

“At the end of last week… we had tests available that weren't being taken up but that was partly because of the complexity of the system," he said.

“We’re using military planners to help us to streamline that system as best we can. You still have to have safeguards in the system, you've still got to make sure that people turn up at the right place at the right time, have the right to test for the right person.

"And that does take a bit of organising, but we are confident we can do it in a more streamlined way and that will mean more of tests are being taken up.

"What we've said in the rapid review is we will report every week on the number of tests available in the NHS in Wales on a daily basis, the number that are being taken up and the plans we have to increase that number over the week ahead.”

But he said he would not set a new target, citing one expert who believed the number became a distraction.

Article share tools

ShareView more share options
    Copy this link
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-w...ost_type=share

Read more about these links.

Posted at 13:2013:20
    5,000 tests a day 'not achievable in practice'
    A target to test 5,000 people a day for coronavirus in Wales was not achievable partly due to equipment not arriving on time, the first minister has said.

The Welsh Government had hoped to hit the target by mid April, but has fallen well short, with the capacity currently being about 1,300 a day.

Mark Drakeford said the targets, which have now been abandoned, had been given in "good faith", and he would not give a new target for how many tests he hoped they could achieve.

"The advice we had from people who help us develop testing is that we had confidence at that point we could get to 5,000 tests," he said.

“Because there was confidence in the number I thought it was right to share that number.

“As it has happened some of the things we were relying upon to allow us to get to the 5,000 number a day haven’t turned out to be achievable in practice, partly because some of those things are outside our own control.“

"We were relying on equipment coming to Wales from overseas. We were relying on some reagent chemicals coming to Wales from overseas. Those deliveries haven’t arrived to the timescale we had hoped.

Seems like a cunning plan. 'If we don't tell you what we're doing about it you can't blame us when we fail to do it.'

I wonder if the things they were relying on are like the PPE contract that never existed. Still never mind we can always blame England.
    They have to take apportioned blame too. Of course they do.

Does this mean that I can't slag off the UK (not England!) Govt. now? ☹️

Heisenberg

"Stans"

I'm in my mid-30s and I only heard this term recently being used for this purpose (despite growing up with Eminem's music). I had this vision of you being in your early 60s for some reason so this has really made me giggle.

Also, sorry if you're not in your 60s, I don't mean any offence by it, just had that impression due to personal references you've made on here

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

You denounce what I say as "utter crap" and then spend seven paragraphs proving my point. interesting you said you didn't vote for Johnson as leader - around 99.8% of the UK population never got the chance to, were you one of the 0.2%?
    Am I a Tory member? Yes.

Did I vote for Johnson as Tory leader? No.

International

They have to take apportioned blame too. Of course they do.

Does this mean that I can't slag off the UK (not England!) Govt. now? ☹️
    You have my blessing to slag off anyone you wish (not that you need it )

All governments of whatever hue are crap at the details and in the kind of situation that we are in detail is vitally (lethally) important, their chances of a fail are always going to be great.

"Stans"

I'm in my mid-30s and I only heard this term recently being used for this purpose (despite growing up with Eminem's music). I had this vision of you being in your early 60s for some reason so this has really made me giggle.

Also, sorry if you're not in your 60s, I don't mean any offence by it, just had that impression due to personal references you've made on here
    Heh, ironically birthday today... thankfully not near 60 but was around in 70s...

Heisenberg

Heh, ironically birthday today... thankfully not near 60 but was around in 70s...
    Happy Birthday!

Am I a Tory member? Yes.

Did I vote for Johnson as Tory leader? No.
    At least that explains the lion and lamb approach.

If you're not in your sixties, but were around in the 70s, I take it you're a member of the Young Conservatives then as well?

Am I a Tory member? Yes.
    ****ing hell

So that's why you defend any criticism of them like they're a football team. I can't imagine being so defensive or biased about anything.

I've voted labour and libdems and been members of both, I never defended them like a rabid liverpool fan on twitter like you're doing.

Not at all, I'm saying generational bias in favour of one party is always difficult to overcome. After all, the vitriole aimed at Tory voters is why so few self-identify publicly.
    Coming from someone who lives in the shires where the Tory candidate couldn't lose even if they were outed as a conman (grant shapps tested that one out and his majority took just a minor dent), I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    At least that explains the lion and lamb approach.

If you're not in your sixties, but were around in the 70s, I take it you're a member of the Young Conservatives then as well?
    Nah, wasn't. If anything I was more left wing at the time.

Dad used to be a shop steward at Merthyr's Hoover plant. When others wanted a frivalous strike, he disagreed and was then beaten up for his efforts. He quit, becoming self-employed.

At that point, I reassessed my previous views.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    ****ing hell

So that's why you defend any criticism of them like they're a football team. I can't imagine being so defensive or biased about anything.

I've voted labour and libdems and been members of both, I never defended them like a rabid liverpool fan on twitter like you're doing.
    Cool story, bro.

Claim and counter claim in government response gets further chapter as Lancelot responds:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9474081.html

For the avoidance of doubt (on basis of 16+ years in FCO), it is NOT normal for a PM to chair *every* COBRA but IS normal for PM to chair COBRA when the matter *is* a national emergency.

The PM’s presence is a good yardstick of how seriously the PM takes the issue. - https://twitter.com/SnellArthur/stat...85723726286851
    there’s a lot of buck-passing going on in Whitehall right now as ⁦@pilitaclar⁩ has discovered: https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status...71556622655490

(an extract of article from financial times)

Cool story, bro.
    Uncool tory, bro

Following on from an afternoon of Senedd bashing, isn't it nice to bring some good Welsh (and Scottish) news as things stand:

Part of explanation for PPE problem in England appears to be a poorer procurement regime in Whitehall vs Cardiff/Edinburgh. I understnd that several Welsh firms have been supplying NHS Wales for weeks but have heard nothing from London. System described as chaotic by comparison - https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/st...30864496295938

Update on the cakeydoll Labour activist / nurse at a Southend hospital.

https://twitter.com/GiftCee/status/1251913423358697472

Charity have now deleted their tweet for some unimaginable reason.

I do hope the nurse didn't steal PPE she claims doesn't exist...