+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BAN WET MARKETS

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: BAN WET MARKETS

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Unlike the SARS virus, the current contagion is pandemic and I believe even the Chinese have been shaken to the core by it.

There will inevitably be a backlash once this pandemic has run its course and I would imagine there'll be a global initiative to ensure these wet markets are closed permanently.

If the Chinese goverment decide to ignore the wishes of people from all other nations, they could and probably would be hit by global trade embargoes, the like of which have never been seen before.

Having said all that, I have a feeling they know the game is up and hopefully these markets will become a thing of the past very soon.

Serious question. When has the Chinese government ever done anything that wasn’t in their own interest ? Nauseous arrogant fk you attitude to the rest of the world and it’s opinions of them and their policies

Even to the extent of revising history to reflect a more generous attitude by its leadership

Not letting the facts ruin a good story

https://www.scmp.com/article/970657/...uin-good-story

A country that perpetuates a repressive regime with its citizens

China’s hidden internment camps

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources...a_hidden_camps

Trump should move his wall from the Mexican border and build it around China

I’m going for a lay down now

Banned

I do love football forums, everything is so black and white. Proffering an opinion that differs from the herd mentality is usually debated in the form of ad hominem attacks. Then, once a poster decides you are "an enemy", everything you say is to be argued against. I come here for some light relief from other, more technical, debates in other places.

Displaying an interest in a subject other than football leads to accusations of being over confident. Questioning what people think they know is seen as being an attack on that person's character. Aye, it's a simple world on a football forum.

Using phrases like "I think", "could be" and so on is seen as either a weakness, or making a statement of fact. Apparently, I am displaying signs of being "upset" because someone has disagreed with me! I couldn't even imagine getting upset by this so that is alien to me.

Adz makes a good point on wet markets. Which is why my "ban on people who have visited a country with a wet market" would not extend to Singapore (for example). I also used an arbitrary figure of "6 months" - I appreciate that that could be shortened to 1 month based on the incubation period of the current virus.

When the borders are opened again, it could be piecemeal, based on that country's current covid-19 status. It may be fluid as some countries may get a spike in cases, or a new wave. It may be that the borders re-opening to a country (let's say America) will be dependent on certain criteria being met (certificates of immunity for example).

However, for the source country, I would like to see more stringent rules. For example, if anyone (and, for the hard of thinking, that doesn't mean UK Citizens) arrives at a UK Entry point with a recent (I said 6 months, but for the hard of comprehending, I will lower it to 2 months) travel history of having visited the source country will be refused entry or placed into quarantine for 14 days.

(I suspect I am getting into tl;dr territory for some now)

If the source of the coronavirus is centred to the trade of certain animals in wet markets, then the Foreign Office should be able to extend that ban to countries that offer similar practices.

This sort of ban (for different reasons) has been in place for years in certain countries. For example (and for the hard of researching) Lebanon and other nations refused entry to visitors who have an Israel stamp in their passports. Greece refused entry to people with Turkish passports. Filipino passports are issued with the "Not Valid for travel to Iraq" to prevent its citizens from travelling there to work. Other countries insist on, for example, a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate when people arrive from certain countries.

Example - India

Country requirement at entry: anyone (except infants up to the age of 9 months) arriving by air or sea
    without a yellow fever vaccination certificate is detained in isolation for up to 6 days if that person (i)
    arrives within 6 days of departure from an area with risk of yellow fever transmission, or (ii) has been in
    such an area in transit (except those passengers and members of the crew who, while in transit through an
    airport situated in an area with risk of yellow fever transmission, remained within the airport premises
    during the period of their entire stay and the Health Officer agrees to such exemption), or (iii) arrives on a
    ship that started from or touched at any port in an area with risk of yellow fever transmission up to 30 days
    before its arrival in India, unless such a ship has been disinsected in accordance with the procedure laid
    down by WHO, or (iv) arrives on an aircraft that has been in an area with risk of yellow fever transmission
    and has not been disinsected in accordance with the Indian Aircraft Public Health Rules, 1954, or as
    recommended by WHO.
    Countries and areas regarded as having risk of yellow fever transmission are, in Africa: Angola, Benin,
    Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Côte dʼIvoire, Democratic
    Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau,
    Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, South Sudan,
    Togo, and Uganda; and in the Americas: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana,
    Guyana, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad only), and Venezuela
    (Bolivarian Republic of). Note: When a case of yellow fever is reported from any country, that country is
    regarded by the Government of India as a country with risk of yellow fever transmission and is added to the
    above list.

The restrictions are already in place, to some extent, through the visa process. If you arrive to the UK from certain countries, you will need a visa. These are checked at point of entry. For example, if I arrive in the UK with a Brazilian passport, I do not need a visa to stay in the UK for 6 months. If I arrive from Colombia, I will need a visa. It's not difficult to implement, it already exists in a way where rules can be altered, relaxed and strengthened as required.

It would help if other countries had similar rules to the ones I think the UK should be proposing. For example, if the US had the same rule - it would mean that US visitors would not need to be as rigourously checked.

I appreciate these rules will lead to more time at passport control, but that is a small price to pay to prevent further outbreaks.

We are currently being told not to allow visitors into our houses to contain the infections to households. A completely responsible request. Me advocating the same to restrict visitors to our country is following the same logic. It would be most effective if this was done on a global scale, of course.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Croesy Blue is first in the list to show a shortened attention span. Who's next?

GUYS HERE IS MY PLAN FOR WET MARKETS

Banned

GUYS HERE IS MY PLAN FOR WET MARKETS

Slow down Noel Coward, I only have so many ribs.

I thought it was bad when iw as a kid when they sold live chickens and chicks in Pontypridd market, but this is disgusting.

Mind you how different is it to all the beef and sheep that are slaughtered in Merthyr every week, except that is done 'humanely' . They still get killed, it's just we don't see it. Which to be fair is a much more decent way of killing animals.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I thought it was bad when iw as a kid when they sold live chickens and chicks in Pontypridd market, but this is disgusting.

Mind you how different is it to all the beef and sheep that are slaughtered in Merthyr every week, except that is done 'humanely' . They still get killed, it's just we don't see it. Which to be fair is a much more decent way of killing animals.
    That's one thing I've alwys found weird too, how come it's ok to kill a pig to eat but not a dog? How come it's ok to kill a duck to eat but not a bat?

We can think it's done "humanely" as much as we like but how true is that.

Banned

That's one thing I've alwys found weird too, how come it's ok to kill a pig to eat but not a dog? How come it's ok to kill a duck to eat but not a bat?

We can think it's done "humanely" as much as we like but how true is that.
    It's cultural.

As for killing humanely, my dad worked in Sun Valley. After his first shift, he never ate chicken again and stopped us from eating it too.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I do love football forums, everything is so black and white. Proffering an opinion that differs from the herd mentality is usually debated in the form of ad hominem attacks. Then, once a poster decides you are "an enemy", everything you say is to be argued against. I come here for some light relief from other, more technical, debates in other places.

irony%u00252Balert.jpg

Yes, they did. I would prefer to ban entry for any person who has visited a country (within 6 months), or resides in a country, with known wet-markets from entry into the UK. We can't control what the Chinese do via petitions, we just have to make it difficult for them whilst they carry on.

Once we sort out the wet markets, we can then extend that to their medieval beliefs that Rhinoceros horns can improve a man's staying power.
    It'll never happen.

I'd start with Saudi Arabia who stone women to death.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Bought lots of food to put in the waste bin lately?

Bought lots of food to put in the waste bin lately?
    Not been to the supermarket, not a single item into the waste bin ( we very rarely throw away food even in normal times ), Dried Pasta has a shelf life of over 12 months, I do have a Mr Kiplings Lemon slice that is best before tomorrow, but no worries on that, someone in the house will eat it, so dont fret over that petal

Only been out of the house twice since lockdown ( apart from dog walks ), both times to help unload boxes at the food bank, dont worry about me though, social distancing was observed at all times, infact the 2nd time i told the old boy who was going to help to stay home and I did it all myself

I trust that is satisfactory to you

almost 370,000 have signed in less than 5 days what a great response so far

my last plea for those who haven't signed yet get your friends and famillys involved and sign the petition

you know it makes sense and help to close down these vile things

cheers for those who have signed so far

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    almost 370,000 have signed in less than 5 days what a great response so far

my last plea for those who haven't signed yet get your friends and famillys involved and sign the petition

you know it makes sense and help to close down these vile things

cheers for those who have signed so far
    Are the Chinese authorities going to be influenced by such a petition though?

thats all we can do is protest and let the animal welfare groups do there bit

might not sound much but the greater numbers the better

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Are the Chinese authorities going to be influenced by such a petition though?
    Something seems to changing attitudes in China;-

https://www.dw.com/en/china-pushes-d...ock/a-53079433

I honestly don't get the there's no point in signing the petition because China won't change anything viewpoint - if everyone had that attitude, it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Something seems to changing attitudes in China;-

https://www.dw.com/en/china-pushes-d...ock/a-53079433

I honestly don't get the there's no point in signing the petition because China won't change anything viewpoint - if everyone had that attitude, it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
    Pressure on China will come from governments that are all too aware of the situation. In my opinion, people may feel better after signing an online petition but it won't have an effect in itself. We can agree to disagree, TOBW.
    By the way, certain posters can learn a lot from the way you conduct yourself on this message board and you come over as a very balanced and pleasant chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Pressure on China will come from governments that are all too aware of the situation. In my opinion, people may feel better after signing an online petition but it won't have an effect in itself. We can agree to disagree, TOBW.
    By the way, certain posters can learn a lot from the way you conduct yourself on this message board and you come over as a very balanced and pleasant chap.
    Okay - thanks for that, I'm a "very balanced and pleasant chap" who is convinced I knew you in the sixth form in Cantonian.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Okay - thanks for that, I'm a "very balanced and pleasant chap" who is convinced I knew you in the sixth form in Cantonian.
    Well, I'll be jiggered. I have to confess that I can't remember many people from Cantonian. I wonder if you are one of them

By the way, my previous role involved contact and meetings with governmental officials from countries in the Far East and the most problematic country was China for a number of reasons I won't go into....

I don't think the term "wet market" is very helpful. "Wild animal market" seems a more descriptive term. Also non-existant hygiene standards are contributing.

Humans destroying creatures habitat and thereby reducing the distance between people and disease carrying animals such as bats is also linked to previous outbreaks.

true pontblue . this guy speaks a lot of sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfDwc2G2_8

think it's about time i gave this thread another bump so pleased to see now the petition has reached reached over 414 thousand . so for anyone who missed out the first time around your chance to add your signature against this vile practice and get to half a million signatures to stop this

So refreshing to see a number of MAINSTREAM people in the entertainment world come out in support the last week in support too like .Ricky Gervais ,Brian May and Sir Paul McCartney to name a few

https://www.nme.com/news/music/brian...-knees-2646320

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...rkets-11973486

https://www.totallyveganbuzz.com/new...e-wet-markets/

and of course BIGMOUTH adds his views

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/mes...rissey/govinda

so c,mon posters add your signatures you know it makes sense