+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are takeaways still delivering in your area?

Are takeaways still delivering in your area?

I had to drive into Treorchy yesterday afternoon for the first time in three weeks or so and was surprised to see a few takeaways still open. I tend to treat myself to a takeaway about once a month these days, but had assumed I'd have to ditch that for a while, but, having seen that yesterday, I'm fancying one tomorrow now. Trouble is, as someone who has been limiting their food shopping to one journey to a supermarket a week, I feel I could hardly justify nipping down to a chippy or kebab house as "essential shopping", so I'm assuming that if some takeaways are still open as normal, there must be some who are still delivering - is that the case around by you?

Re: Are takeaways still delivering in your area?

Pretty sure various takeaways in this area are operating delivery services, including my favourite Indian restaurant. I may have to use them this weekend because there were no vegetables at all in Morrison’s last night.

Lots do deliveries. All the usual places around us are still delivering on a daily basis. Collection I would say is certainly not encouraged and you’ll probably find they don’t allow it. But they look open as they are preparing food for the drivers to take out to the community.

We enjoy a weekly curry, order it online and within the hour it’s left by the front door after the driver knocks and then steps away and waits for us to answer so he knows we have the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Lots do deliveries. All the usual places around us are still delivering on a daily basis. Collection I would say is certainly not encouraged and you’ll probably find they don’t allow it. But they look open as they are preparing food for the drivers to take out to the community.

We enjoy a weekly curry, order it online and within the hour it’s left by the front door after the driver knocks and then steps away and waits for us to answer so he knows we have the food.
    Is that all you take away?

It's a mixture around here, my local Indian, the guys travel from Birmingham every day, so that's currently shut.

Most of the local pubs are now doing takeaways, which is working really well and there are a lot of farms who are also doing well by now delivering. It's a changing world & some are seizing the opportunity

Lots delivering on just eat.

Thanks all, I've only had a takeaway delivered once since I moved up here and I just checked the shop I used's website - it looks like they're still doing them even though they looked closed from the outside yesterday, so I'll try them first tomorrow and then look at Just Eat etc. if I get nowhere with them.

Lots doing deliveries - but payment must be online (over phone in sa few cases) as drivers won't take cash any more

Lots doing deliveries around us - and discouraging collections. The usual takeways seem to be much busier than normal and using taxi drivers (who haven't had a normal fare for weeks) to get the food out. All taking cash on the doorstep (left in container) so far.

There are also a lot of local restaurants that are trying to survive by switching to a takeaway service. They seem to be struggling badly - even though the local press, council and community groups are promoting them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I had to drive into Treorchy yesterday afternoon for the first time in three weeks or so and was surprised to see a few takeaways still open. I tend to treat myself to a takeaway about once a month these days, but had assumed I'd have to ditch that for a while, but, having seen that yesterday, I'm fancying one tomorrow now. Trouble is, as someone who has been limiting their food shopping to one journey to a supermarket a week, I feel I could hardly justify nipping down to a chippy or kebab house as "essential shopping", so I'm assuming that if some takeaways are still open as normal, there must be some who are still delivering - is that the case around by you?
    A bit dodgy I would imagine, probably a spreading source along with supermarkets and petrol stations?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    A bit dodgy I would imagine, probably a spreading source along with supermarkets and petrol stations?
    This is my view too.
    You can be as vigilant as you want but it would all be for nothing if some delivery driver forgets to wear his gloves filling up the car or a chef sneezes in the wrong direction.
    Takeaways are a no-no for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    This is my view too.
    You can be as vigilant as you want but it would all be for nothing if some delivery driver forgets to wear his gloves filling up the car or a chef sneezes in the wrong direction.
    Not just the delivery driver. The people who cook, heat and/or pack the food constitute an added risk.

I dont use them, but my lad has had takeaway stuff delivered. They knock the door and leave it on the floor outside the door, internal quality control is applied on receipt of the food.

This is my view too.
    I think I'll take the risk tomorrow - I've been visiting supermarkets in the last few weeks and I'm sure there's the odd item I've bought that has been handled by someone before me. not to mention things like trolleys and tills.

I think I'll take the risk tomorrow - I've been visiting supermarkets in the last few weeks and I'm sure there's the odd item I've bought that has been handled by someone before me. not to mention things like trolleys and tills.
    I agree and I am not trying to scaremonger but due diligence is required at all times, right from the moment you step out of your front door to opening it on your return.

If I go to the shops I take all of my clothing items off and put them straight in the washing machine then was my hands.
    Items I have bought are washed or given a wipe over.
    Door knockers and internal door handles are wiped down regularly.

Doing all of this may not be enough to stop contracting the virus but it lessens the risk, just as preparing my own food rather than someone else doing it does.

That said, if I were to change my mind, a hot spicy curry would be my takeaway of choice as the spices normally see off anything.
    I would prep my own rice though.

Hope you enjoy your food

Having given what you said a bit more thought, I could order it about an hour before I plan to eat, then give the containers a couple of minutes in the microwave on full power thereby killing any viruses possibly present - it would not taste quite as nice, but I wouldn't mind that.

I must admit to being not quite as diligent as I should be when it comes to things like cleaning surfaces - I could really do with some of that alcohol based cleaning stuff, but I've not seen any in the shops for weeks.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Having given what you said a bit more thought, I could order it about an hour before I plan to eat, then give the containers a couple of minutes in the microwave on full power thereby killing any viruses possibly present - it would not taste quite as nice, but I wouldn't mind that.

I must admit to being not quite as diligent as I should be when it comes to things like cleaning surfaces - I could really do with some of that alcohol based cleaning stuff, but I've not seen any in the shops for weeks.

I saw somewhere that you can use vodka or similar as an alcohol based wipe. Unless you drink something at least 60% proof don’t fall for it.
    40% proof which is most of the liquor sold in the uk is just not strong enough

I’ve got a 10 litre bottle of rice spirit from the mother in law which I use to clean the food prep surfaces, motorbike etc with and I can say it’s definitely the more than 60% more like 80% it’s fkg lethal

Banned

This is my view too.
    I remember being in a Chinese takeaway, waiting for my food to cook, and seeing the bloke cooking it having a good old pick of his nose. Many of these places have scores of 0 (usually because they didn't take part), 1,2,3 in hygiene. I would say that, in this climate, you'd want to reconsider having a takeaway meal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I saw somewhere that you can use vodka or similar as an alcohol based wipe. Unless you drink something at least 60% proof don’t fall for it.
    40% proof which is most of the liquor sold in the uk is just not strong enough

I’ve got a 10 litre bottle of rice spirit from the mother in law which I use to clean the food prep surfaces, motorbike etc with and I can say it’s definitely the more than 60% more like 80% it’s fkg lethal
    Best thing to use is bleach, 1 part bleach, 4 parts water.

Banned

Bleach will do it. Coronavirus is actually a weak virus, it is contained in fat. A good wipe over of surfaces with a 1:4 or 1:5 bleach:water ratio will go a long way. However, even after a clean, it can survive purely because we all miss bits when cleaning surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Bleach will do it. Coronavirus is actually a weak virus, it is contained in fat. A good wipe over of surfaces with a 1:4 or 1:5 bleach:water ratio will go a long way. However, even after a clean, it can survive purely because we all miss bits when cleaning surfaces.
    Yes, that's what I did this week although the solution I made was weaker than that - I think I'll make it the sort of strength you talk about next time.

Banned

Yes, that's what I did this week although the solution I made was weaker than that - I think I'll make it the sort of strength you talk about next time.
    The other thing is to put the solution on first, let it wait 10-15 minutes, then clean over.

I find it incredible that anyone would risk a takeaway at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBelly View Post
    I find it incredible that anyone would risk a takeaway at the moment.
    Even if you reheat it after it's delivered? I would have thought it much more dangerous buying things like vegetables,fruit and bread loose in a supermarket.

Further to the above, there's some useful advice about ordering takeaway food in this article from an American paper. I should say though that it is from the Washington Post and so, unless you are one of the select few who, through a combination of extraordinary mental discipline and an extremely closed mind, have managed to make themselves immune from them, you will be exposed to the subliminal mind control signals by the "elite", Illuminati, Fabian Society etc. etc. etc. that are activated as soon as you click on the link. I went ahead and did that because I'm already a lost cause - my fate was sealed as soon as I started using my microwave oven.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...minimize-them/