+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: How many posters on this forum do you know in real life?

Re: How many posters on this forum do you know in real life?

Georgetown had a very good youth set up

think our youth lot were the only ones to take a point off them when i was involved in youth football must be about 12 years ago now

we had a battle with troedirhiw up there i think they were called ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Brynmawr. The Tal and the Rugby club were Christmas do venues when I was employed by the council over there. That was entertaining. Still the coldest place I’ve been to around South East Wales.
    Nightlife round here these days is pretty poor. I remember the time when you'd have to queue early to get tickets for the Griffin and Rugby Club, before having a few round town in the Gwesty, Punch, Vaults, Head and Talisman, or the Chartist as it used to be known.
    Highest town in Wales, in more ways than one

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No my missus has banned me because drinking in the club with a bookies attached to it is not ideal when you’re a compulsive gambler ��

I love it down there. What a place. Can’t beat a social club.
    Wise move really butt.

I’m Aberfan Social Club lad. Worked the bar for years and ****ing loved the place for a beer. They’re not what they were but still the best place for meeting the lads and being merciless with each other.

I was in Penydarren Social the night Gazza turned up with a fishing rod and a cooked chicken for Raoul Moat. Somebody shouted “Shush... it’s Gazza on the news.” A group of old beauties in the corner without any prompting all started singing “Fog On The Tyne” in Gazzaesque fashion and the whole bar joined in dancing about.

Made me laugh even more when some of them found out Raoul Moat had been on a deadly rampage and felt aghast.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Apart from Jimmy the Jock I don't think I know anyone else who posts on here.
    Zero.

Met a few to buy/sell tickets all of whom have been thoroughly decent people (e.g. Lawnmower)

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

think our youth lot were the only ones to take a point off them when i was involved in youth football must be about 12 years ago now

Troedyrhiw. Folded now. They became a victim of the Welsh League restructuring a few years ago. Like Penydarren they shot through the leagues. Tony Rees, Cohen Griffith and Derek Showers all had involvement with them at the time for various amounts of time.

Nightlife round here these days is pretty poor. I remember the time when you'd have to queue early to get tickets for the Griffin and Rugby Club, before having a few round town in the Gwesty, Punch, Vaults, Head and Talisman, or the Chartist as it used to be known.
    Highest town in Wales, in more ways than one

I liked Brynmawr for a works night out. It could turn proper nutty. The locals who worked for the council could be proper nutty. It always seemed to be sleeting on every piss up I went out.

I liked Brynmawr for a works night out. It could turn proper nutty. The locals who worked for the council could be proper nutty. It always seemed to be sleeting on every piss up I went out.
    So you only went out in the Summer then. You should see our Winters

So you only went out in the Summer then. You should see our Winters

I have.

I remember driving on the A465 one day and there was snow in Dowlais, I got to Brynmawr and it was like the Artic. How I managed to travel to Abertillery in which I took the old road through Blaina still amazes me. Got into the office to be told “Go home there’s nobody else here.” I got back to Merthyr travelling down from Abertillery. Ynysddu and Ystrad Mynach in comparison looked tropical. The micro climate there is freezing. I’m used to the wet but the cold there is something else.

I have.

I remember driving on the A465 one day and there was snow in Dowlais, I got to Brynmawr and it was like the Artic. How I managed to travel to Abertillery in which I took the old road through Blaina still amazes me. Got into the office to be told “Go home there’s nobody else here.” I got back to Merthyr travelling down from Abertillery. Ynysddu and Ystrad Mynach in comparison looked tropical. The micro climate there is freezing. I’m used to the wet but the cold there is something else.
    Its something else. A few years back I was working with a guy from Blaina, which is two miles down the road. I couldn't get the van out of a six foot drift the one day. He phones me and asks where I am? I tell him and he doesn't believe me. Not so much as a flake down there

My Grandpa is from Brynmawr and he's tough as nails. Started down Big Pit when he was 15.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    My Grandpa is from Brynmawr and he's tough as nails. Started down Big Pit when he was 15.
    Big Pit is still going. I've been saying for years I'm off down there, but haven't of yet. Have you been down?

Big Pit is still going. I've been saying for years I'm off down there, but haven't of yet. Have you been down?
    Once, many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They’ve had several promotions on the spin and got to the quarters of the Welsh Cup 2 years ago. I think theyve found their level now though. 2 off the WPL. 3rd tier of Welsh football I believe.

They were the enemy when I was younger. I played for Georgetown who produced most of the professional footballers from the town. We had a bitter rivalry. These days Penydarren have left Georgetown in their wake. Got a good set up down there,
    Didn't Jason Bowen play for Georgetown?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Didn't Jason Bowen play for Georgetown?
    Yes. Same side as Steve Jenkins.

Quite a few off the "other" forum and the previous official forum many years ago. Not sure off here.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Georgetown haven’t got a team in some of the junior age groups these days. Sad times considering the players produced over the years.

I think these academy rackets run by City and Swansea have killed junior football.

agree to some extent academys are not worth the salt that,s for sure in these semi robotic football times

i wouldn't exclusively say just Cardiff and Swansea but the UK as a whole

I've seen Sludge twice. Once sitting on a bench next to Blackweir bridge and another time sitting in a steamed up car in the Castell Coch car park.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I've seen Sludge twice. Once sitting on a bench next to Blackweir bridge and another time sitting in a steamed up car in the Castell Coch car park.
    Sorry to hear about that.

'Real life'?