+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Debt Collectors

Debt Collectors

A mate of mine and his wife in their 70s loaned a so called friend of theirs £2000 of which 1000 was paid back on time but they have been waiting over two years now and when the ol fella rings up to ask if it can be sorted he just gets laughed at. Does anyone of you know any of those erm old fashioned debt collectors. PM me if you can help.

Re: Debt Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    A mate of mine and his wife in their 70s loaned a so called friend of theirs £2000 of which 1000 was paid back on time but they have been waiting over two years now and when the ol fella rings up to ask if it can be sorted he just gets laughed at. Does anyone of you know any of those erm old fashioned debt collectors. PM me if you can help.
    https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

I think your mate needs to rethink his approach to this problem. The services of any debt collector who uses a bit of 'firm persuasion' is probably not going to come too cheaply and will eat into what's left of the money he's looking to recover . What if it all goes 'tits-up', someone gets badly hurt, it could all come back to your mate?

Heisenberg

Did you take the number of the company that called to your house? They seemed like they knew what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Did you take the number of the company that called to your house? They seemed like they knew what they were doing.
    Heisenburg that made me laugh ironic though.

Anything in writing?
    Though the fact that he repaid a small part is an ackowlegement that he owes it back.

Small claims court?
    Judge Rinder?
    If he fails to pay after a court judgement, then your mate can call on the court sheriffs, like on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Anything in writing?
    Though the fact that he repaid a small part is an ackowlegement that he owes it back.

Small claims court?
    Judge Rinder?
    If he fails to pay after a court judgement, then your mate can call on the court sheriffs, like on TV.
    Yes, I was wondering that. I don't know if anyone would take up a case just based on one side saying they're owed money.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes, I was wondering that. I don't know if anyone would take up a case just based on one side saying they're owed money.
    He does have a text from the debtor from about 6 months ago saying he would pay the outstanding £1010.00 within a month. Not sure if texts would stand up in court though.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He does have a text from the debtor from about 6 months ago saying he would pay the outstanding £1010.00 within a month. Not sure if texts would stand up in court though. Its the way that he is taunting my mate and his wife that is pissing me off to be honest, my mate is and his Mrs dont have much and this rotten bastard recently bought a 2 year old bmw.

International

He does have a text from the debtor from about 6 months ago saying he would pay the outstanding £1010.00 within a month. Not sure if texts would stand up in court though. Its the way that he is taunting my mate and his wife that is pissing me off to be honest, my mate is and his Mrs dont have much and this rotten bastard recently bought a 2 year old bmw.
    Have you any idea what new tyres for a BMw cost. Specially if you're having to by a new one or 2 every week!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Have you any idea what new tyres for a BMw cost. Specially if you're having to by a new one or 2 every week!!
    Duly noted!

International

I know a Chap who lived in Landaff North. He had some improvement work done on his property by a guy who ran a small legitimate construction company who did a lot of sub-contract work all over the country. As they were good buddies and drank in the same pub together the man agreed to do it cash in hand.
    When the work was finished he refused to pay saying there was nothing the man could do about it because it was a "Back hander" job. Over the next 3 months he had about 30 tyres slashed on his car outside his home which was very close to the pub. He complained to the police who said without catching someone doing it there was very little they could do. They suggested it might be people leaving the pub whom he may have pissed off.
    He paid the man his money and he lost another 12 tyres in the following weeks. He approached the man and said he thought if he paid the damage ot his car would stop.
    The man said, "why did you think that? Are you trying to suggest I had something to do with your tyres? I'd never do a thing like that I run a respectable business. It's a pity some of the people I work for aren't so honest."

This thread at the Loans section of the Money Saving Experts forum outlines the procedure of how your friends can seek recourse at a small claims court. It's much more difficult to receive what's owed though when there's no formal written loan agreement that the debtor has signed.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...l-claims-court

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Anything in writing?

Small claims court?
    Judge Rinder?
    The TV companies settle any costs owed a party on such TV shows: it doesn't cost the participants anything.
    They are effectively employed as entertainment.

A friend of mine has a builder friend who had a customer who wasn't coming up with the readies - so he went to the property concerned when it was empty and poured cress seed into the lawn and which would eventually spell out the C-word when it grows.

I would never lend anyone money expecting it back.
    I have been involved in these issues. The law is not the way to go.
    You're friends would be best forgetting it and put it behind them. Cross the guy off their Xnas card list.
    Would make them feel a lot better.