+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albums Growing up ?

Albums Growing up ?

Influential (not favourite) albums growing up, I’ve limited it until I was around 26 (1985), and to keep it short, omitted the majority of the popular stuff I liked, also not included the heavier stuff Led Zep, Sabbath, Purple, Lizzy, Rainbow. Etc. Didn’t mind the synth electronic stuff, but never got punk, ska, reggae. Shockingly omitted Bowie, but during this time I just wasn’t really a fan.
    Working from home a lot at the moment means, I can have some background music on all day
    1) Slayed, this is the 1st album i bought (that i can remember, and still have my original copy) I did like T Rex before Slade, but the only record I bought of theirs was Metal Guru
    2) Tubular Bells, totally went against anything I was listening to at the time, it’s not my favourite Oldfield however. (Crises being my favourite)
    3) DSOM, this was the lights out, lying on floor on back, speaker at each ear, bottle of Newccy brown.
    4) Bat out of Hell (paradise at the dashboard light on the OGWT)
    5) No Parlez, The fretless bass slides.
    6) Breakfast in America, Just a great Album IMO
    7) The Final Cut, My favourite Floyd Album, I used to go to the HIFI shows over in Bristol to listen to the gear I couldn’t afford, 1st and only time I have heard an LP12 Sondek, Mission were using it in front of their amplification and speakers and was drop dead stunning, whilst I still play vinyl and ironically could afford one now, I don’t play vinyl enough to justify the outlay to get an LP12.
    8) Dire Straits, Their debut, as a wanna be axe at the time, Mark Knopfler’s playing style was a style that I’d not heard at the time, so refreshing from the 100 mph speed merchants.
    9) Seconds out, live offering from Genesis with my favourite version of Suppers Ready. Post Gabriel, but the one everyone loves to knock (including me!) carries the vocals with ease.
    10) A Night at the Opera, not a great queen fan but this was different by a distance, when Bohemian Rhapsody given its 1st airing on Top of the Pops it was just something totally left field and it took a while for me to give it time.

What you got ? it’s not easy leaving out some classic stuff.

Re: Albums Growing up ?

I think my earliest musical tastes were dependent on what bands I saw & liked who played at Barry’s Memo Hall
    I’m guessing (as I still have them) that some of the first albums that I ever bought following on from seeing them were:
    Rory Gallagher – Rory Gallagher (1971)
    Wishbone Ash – Argus (1972)
    Mott the Hoople – All the Young Dudes (1972)
    …… and yes, Rory Gallagher was the greatest guitarist I ever seen live

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Influential (not favourite) albums growing up, I’ve limited it until I was around 26 (1985), and to keep it short, omitted the majority of the popular stuff I liked, also not included the heavier stuff Led Zep, Sabbath, Purple, Lizzy, Rainbow. Etc. Didn’t mind the synth electronic stuff, but never got punk, ska, reggae. Shockingly omitted Bowie, but during this time I just wasn’t really a fan.
    Working from home a lot at the moment means, I can have some background music on all day
    1) Slayed, this is the 1st album i bought (that i can remember, and still have my original copy) I did like T Rex before Slade, but the only record I bought of theirs was Metal Guru
    2) Tubular Bells, totally went against anything I was listening to at the time, it’s not my favourite Oldfield however. (Crises being my favourite)
    3) DSOM, this was the lights out, lying on floor on back, speaker at each ear, bottle of Newccy brown.
    4) Bat out of Hell (paradise at the dashboard light on the OGWT)
    5) No Parlez, The fretless bass slides.
    6) Breakfast in America, Just a great Album IMO
    7) The Final Cut, My favourite Floyd Album, I used to go to the HIFI shows over in Bristol to listen to the gear I couldn’t afford, 1st and only time I have heard an LP12 Sondek, Mission were using it in front of their amplification and speakers and was drop dead stunning, whilst I still play vinyl and ironically could afford one now, I don’t play vinyl enough to justify the outlay to get an LP12.
    8) Dire Straits, Their debut, as a wanna be axe at the time, Mark Knopfler’s playing style was a style that I’d not heard at the time, so refreshing from the 100 mph speed merchants.
    9) Seconds out, live offering from Genesis with my favourite version of Suppers Ready. Post Gabriel, but the one everyone loves to knock (including me!) carries the vocals with ease.
    10) A Night at the Opera, not a great queen fan but this was different by a distance, when Bohemian Rhapsody given its 1st airing on Top of the Pops it was just something totally left field and it took a while for me to give it time.

What you got ? it’s not easy leaving out some classic stuff.
    What do you mean leaving out the heavy stuff !

I am not having that

Sabbath , led zep , lizzy , scorpions , judas priest , kiss , rush , saxon , stooges, free , cream , hendrix , early genesis , yes , blue oyster cult , doors

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
    I think my earliest musical tastes were dependent on what bands I saw & liked who played at Barry’s Memo Hall
    I’m guessing (as I still have them) that some of the first albums that I ever bought following on from seeing them were:
    Rory Gallagher – Rory Gallagher (1971)
    Wishbone Ash – Argus (1972)
    Mott the Hoople – All the Young Dudes (1972)
    …… and yes, Rory Gallagher was the greatest guitarist I ever seen live
    I never saw him live but his live album is fantastic .....brute force and ignorance , what a song

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I never saw him live but his live album is fantastic .....brute force and ignorance , what a song
    Rory was a brilliant guitarist with a style all his own and and I was privileged to see him several times live. One of my all time favourites.

I've got two of your listed albums, Breakfast in America and A Night at the Opera. Loved them both at the time but Queen's music has long since lost it's appeal for me.

As you might guess from my username, I am a huge fan of the Moody Blues and top of my list album wise would be To Our Children's Children's Children and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

An honourable mention to Abbey Road, Gary Moore's Still Got the Blues, Santana's Zebop, John Miles' Zaragon, Deep Purple in Rock and Machine Head.

I've always liked a lot of different genres of music, so here goes with my list of Top 10 INFLUENTIAL ALBUMS, like you up to 1985 (age 25). off the top of head whilst sat here drinking a mug of coffee. Bound to be loads of albums I have left off. But here goes...

1)T.Rex - Electric Warrior purchased with a Xmas token from David Morgan! December '71. First LP I ever bought
    2)Sha Na Na - Debut LP - A great rock n' roll revival band. Well they were before they appeared in that shite Grease movie. Have always been partial to a bit or rock n' roll/rockabilly/DooWop
    3)Al Green - Greatest Hits - 70s soul music at it's very finest. Discovering All lead me to listening to Otis Redding which lead me to listening to Northern Soul...my preferred genre of music these days
    4)Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak - This has to be in every self respecting trock fans Top 10 LPs of all time?
    5)Free - Highway - The greatest rock band of them all! So soulful and bluesy
    6)Gregory Isaacs - More Gregory - What a voice! Like melting honey. His best and most consistent album
    7)Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy - the greatest rock band to come out of the USA Purchased this Easter '77 from kelly's in Cardiff market. My first Skynyrd album. and played it to death over the following months
    8)Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rastaman Vibration. My favourite release of theirs. Contains no big hits and all the better for it
    9)The Doors - Debut Album. Purchased in late '81, after hearing the The End in 'Apocalypse Now'
    10)The Waterboys- This Is the Sea - great band in their day, live as well as on record. Certainly one of the best 80s bands. This along with Fishermans Blues was their pinnacle. Two of the best gigs I saw in the 80s were watching them live at cardiff University in May '86 and then a month later at the Glastonbury Festival

Can we use albums from before we were born?

If so then albums such as “Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols”, “Thriller”, “Illmatic”, “Fear of a Black Planet”, “The Alia End Theory”, “All Eyez on Me”, “Ready To Die” and “Nevermind” are influential.

Also from after I was born... “The Blueprint”, “Get Rich Or Die Trying”, “The College Dropout”, “Graduation”, “Tha Carter III”, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy”, “Take Care”, “Yeezus”, “Hopeless Fountain Kingdom”, “Victory Lap”, “To Pimp A Butterfly”, “Lemonade”, “I am Sasha Fierce”, “Blueprint 3” are pretty influential

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Rory was a brilliant guitarist with a style all his own and and I was privileged to see him several times live. One of my all time favourites.

I've got two of your listed albums, Breakfast in America and A Night at the Opera. Loved them both at the time but Queen's music has long since lost it's appeal for me.

As you might guess from my username, I am a huge fan of the Moody Blues and top of my list album wise would be To Our Children's Children's Children and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

An honourable mention to Abbey Road, Gary Moore's Still Got the Blues, Santana's Zebop, John Miles' Zaragon, Deep Purple in Rock and Machine Head.
    In rock is superb , contains my favourite purple song , flight of the rat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I've always liked a lot of different genres of music, so here goes with my list of Top 10 INFLUENTIAL ALBUMS, like you up to 1985 (age 25). off the top of head whilst sat here drinking a mug of coffee. Bound to be loads of albums I have left off. But here goes...

1)T.Rex - Electric Warrior purchased with a Xmas token from David Morgan! December '71. First LP I ever bought
    2)Sha Na Na - Debut LP - A great rock n' roll revival band. Well they were before they appeared in that shite Grease movie. Have always been partial to a bit or rock n' roll/rockabilly/DooWop
    3)Al Green - Greatest Hits - 70s soul music at it's very finest. Discovering All lead me to listening to Otis Redding which lead me to listening to Northern Soul...my preferred genre of music these days
    4)Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak - This has to be in every self respecting trock fans Top 10 LPs of all time?
    6)Gregory Isaacs - More Gregory - What a voice! Like melting honey. His best and most consistent album
    7)Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy - the greatest rock band to come out of the USA Purchased this Easter '77 from kelly's in Cardiff market. My first Skynyrd album. and played it to death over the following months
    8)Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rastaman Vibration. My favourite release of theirs. Contains no big hits and all the better for it
    9)The Doors - Debut Album. Purchased in late '81, after hearing the The End in 'Apocalypse Now'
    10)The Waterboys- This Is the Sea - great band in their day, live as well as on record. Certainly one of the best 80s bands. This along with Fishermans Blues was their pinnacle. Two of the best gigs I saw in the 80s were watching them live at cardiff University in May '86 and then a month later at the Glastonbury Festival
    Be my enemy , waterboys , great song , saw em at Glastonbury 86 like you , topped off by the magnificent gil Scott heron

Jailbreak , lizzy .......warrior , what a song ........I am a warrior , I serve the death machine !

First album I bought was Slade ‘old new borrowed blue’ many many years ago.

I've seen the Waterboys live 3 times, 1st time in 1986 at the Miton Keynes Bowl
    then in Cardiff and also Newport, stellar musicians.

Influential means 1 of 2 things to me... what albums influenced my musical journey or what albums influenced the most other bands... I’m going with the 1st one as that’s what I think the OP meant..of these some were albums I bought as they came out, others were discovered and influenced future choices

1. The Clash - The Clash still have my original copy ...the cover is truly battered but the vinyl still perfect... above all other albums this set me in a direction that to this day probably influences over 50% of the stuff I’ve bought
    2. Lou Reed - Transformer. I may not have even discovered him without The Clash but he opened up lots of other stuff. I lost my copy as well (I will order a new vinyl copy as soon as I finish this post)
    3. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On THe Edge of Town - Punk was driving nearly everything I bought, but the boyfriend of my girlfriends sister, who was 5 years older than me kept constantly playing this album (probably because his surname was Candy)... and it exposed me to Springsteen.... and now I have his entire collection and still listen to a Bruce album nearly every week
    4. Simon & Garfunkel - Sound of Silence... probably my Dad playing it on his 8 track car stereo but stories and melodies have always meant as much to me as fast paced guitar music
    5. Blondie - Plastic Letters. I love female lead singers in bands and this was the first album with a female lead singer that I loved... my favourite is Moving Targets by Penetration but Plastic Letters opened the door.
    6. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures. Took me a while to get into but once I did it influenced so much

There’s probably 4 more but that’s 6 for starters

First ones I remember buying as a 12 year old when I would go to eagle records in bridgend or buffalo or spillers in cardiff

Black Sabbath , Black Sabbath

Led Zep , 2, 3 , 4 , then the rest

Kiss Alive , Love Gun , Destroyer , Alive 2 , Dressed to kill , hotter than hell

Lizzy Bad Reputation , Johnny the fox , Live And Dangerous

In rock is superb , contains my favourite purple song , flight of the rat
    Child in Time was my favourite. Gillan's voice was superb and the guitar solo is one of the greatest ever.

Loved seeing their classic line-up in the early 70's but Blackmore was a major disappointment. Live, his playing was very ordinary and did not replicate the magic on the band's albums.

Be my enemy , waterboys , great song , saw em at Glastonbury 86 like you , topped off by the magnificent gil Scott heron

Jailbreak , lizzy .......warrior , what a song ........I am a warrior , I serve the death machine !
    Glastonbury '86 was great, I went there for the week, Monday to Monday. The last great Glastonbury! Stopped going after '89.

Lizzy "Warrior" I saw the band headline Reading festival in '77. Philo dedicated it to Jimi Hendrix

What do you mean leaving out the heavy stuff !

I am not having that

Sabbath , led zep , lizzy , scorpions , judas priest , kiss , rush , saxon , stooges, free , cream , hendrix , early genesis , yes , blue oyster cult , doors
    The list would have been too long and were not really influential to me, but were just albums I really liked, one album I omitted and is criminal that I did. Fleetwood Mac Rumours !!

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I've seen the Waterboys live 3 times, 1st time in 1986 at the Miton Keynes Bowl
    then in Cardiff and also Newport, stellar musicians.
    Who headlined the Milton keynes concert? I had it on tape once upon a time. As you say Heath, stellar musicians

SLF - Inflammable material
    Sham69 - Tell Us The Truth
    Angelic Upstarts - Teenage Warning
    Beatles - 62-66 & 67-70
    Blondie - Plastic Letters
    Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Plus a load of compilations

What I used to do was listed to Mike Read ( 8 -10 ) and John Peel ( 10 - 12 ) with a cassette/radio combo and record any tracks that I liked and replayed the C90 cassette over and over again.

First album: DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head
    Last album: XANDER AND THE PEACE PIRATES - 11-11 (and featuring the only one armed guitar I know of)
    Favourite album: ROBIN TROWER - Bridge of Sighs
    Second favourite: SANTANA - Abraxas
    Third favourite: PINK FLOYD - Wish You Were Here
    First gig: BUDGIE at Barry Memorial Hall
    Last gig: HICHAM MASSINE (Moroccan musician) at Institut Français Essaouira, Morocco (in January)
    Best gig: THE WHO at Charlton
    Bands seen the most times: MAN & EDDIE MARTIN
    Cancelled gigs due to Coronavirus and for which I had tickets: SANTANA, ROBIN TROWER & SIMPLE MINDS

Who headlined the Milton keynes concert? I had it on tape once upon a time. As you say Heath, stellar musicians
    Simple Minds.

Hand of god goal day

https://www.last.fm/event/957225+Sim...n+22+June+1986

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    SLF - Inflammable material
    Sham69 - Tell Us The Truth
    Angelic Upstarts - Teenage Warning
    Beatles - 62-66 & 67-70
    Blondie - Plastic Letters
    Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Plus a load of compilations

What I used to do was listed to Mike Read ( 8 -10 ) and John Peel ( 10 - 12 ) with a cassette/radio combo and record any tracks that I liked and replayed the C90 cassette over and over again.
    Inflammable Material is probably my favourite album of all time. SLF are certainly my favourite band, but The Clash got me into SLF.

Teenage Warning is literally on my turntable as I type

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Child in Time was my favourite. Gillan's voice was superb and the guitar solo is one of the greatest ever.

Loved seeing their classic line-up in the early 70's but Blackmore was a major disappointment. Live, his playing was very ordinary and did not replicate the magic on the band's albums.
    I saw Rainbow & Sabbath in the Capitol not too much time in between them, Richie was a Moody fker on stage, smashed his Strat (part of the stage act) the neck launched by the strings, the body launched by the strap int the crowd, i'm not qualified to say who is the better axe, but Tony Iommi was far better to watch and listen to, hard to say which gig i enjoyed more, Sabbath were nuts but I liked the Rainbow songs prolly a little bit more, Cozy Powell, Ronnie James Dio, R. Blackmore, Ozzy, Bill Ward, Geezer & Iommi awesome times. The Capitol being a dive, allowed to stand on the seats and go nuts and previous to this, two x Slade gigs at the Capitol, crowd mayhem with who has to be the best front I have seen, the incomparable Noddy, get yer fkin boots on and get down and get with it, Holder, I go to gigs now, sit down be quiet and just listen to the music basically a misery

Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby U2
    Kick: INXS
    Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion 1&2 Guns n Roses
    Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory Oasis
    The red and Blue Albums The Beatles
    Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy
    The Stone Roses
    Everything Must Go : The Manics
    All change : Cast
    Trouble Gun : Therapy
    I think that’s my 1987-1996 well played albums 😃😃

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    First album: DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head
    Last album: XANDER AND THE PEACE PIRATES - 11-11 (and featuring the only one armed guitar I know of)
    Favourite album: ROBIN TROWER - Bridge of Sighs
    Second favourite: SANTANA - Abraxas
    Third favourite: PINK FLOYD - Wish You Were Here
    First gig: BUDGIE at Barry Memorial Hall
    Last gig: HICHAM MASSINE (Moroccan musician) at Institut Français Essaouira, Morocco (in January)
    Best gig: THE WHO at Charlton
    Bands seen the most times: MAN & EDDIE MARTIN
    Cancelled gigs due to Coronavirus and for which I had tickets: SANTANA, ROBIN TROWER & SIMPLE MINDS

First album: RORY GALLAGHER – Rory Gallagher
    Last album: PETER PERRETT – How the West was Won (vinyl) // STURGILL SIMPSON - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music (CD)
    First gig: STACKRIDGE at Barry Memorial Hall (… but they were the support, can’t remember the header)
    Last gigs: DAVE COUSINS (former Strawbs frontman – at The Royal Norfolk Hotel, Folkestone // CALEXICO – Bexhill
    Best gig: (recent times) TRAVIS – their recent The Man Who… tour // (historical) JETHRO TULL – Cardiff Capitol
    Bands seen the most times: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

I remember a lot of Yes, Deep Purple, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and (honestly) Bobby Goldsboro'

I still get palpitations when I hear 'Summer The First Time'!