Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a good cook ?

Are you a good cook ?

I am crap

Simply not interested in it

Breakfast is bran flakes , banana and chopped apple

Lunch tuna or cheese or ham sarnie , yoghurt

Main meal usually a microwaved ready meal with microwaved frozen mixed veg

Apart from when I make a beef or vegetable stew .....beef , spuds , carrots , parsnips , onions , stock cube , simmer for an hour , into a bowl , couple of brown bread rolls , lump of cheese .......I just cant be arsed with preparing fresh veg , all that cleaning , chopping boiling , sod that

Chilli con carne ? Buy some mince , fry it , pour on tesco or asda chilli con carne ready made sauce , get a packet of that microwaveable rice , bung it in the microwave , serve , eat it

Curry ? If i want an authentic curry i will order one or go out to a curry house . I am not going to mess about chopping onions , garlic , spices , etc ........just buy some chicken or lamb , fry it , pour on tesco or asda curry cooking sauce , microwave some of that rice , serve it , eat it

Baked potatoes? I am not going to waste my time cooking spuds in the oven for an hour . Buy microwaveable spuds, bung em in the microwave , pour on some beans , eat .

Beans on toast

Scrambled egg on toast

Stir fry ? Arse about buying all the ingredients ? Sod that , buy a packet of stir fry vegetables , fry them with some chicken , splash on some soy sauce , get it down your neck

Salad ? Dont waste time you could be listening to music on buying lettuce , tomatoes , spring onions , cucumber etc , buy one of those 1 pound pre prepared salad pots , empty a tin of tuna or sardines or cottage cheese or ham , bung it on a plate , eat it .

Waste time baking salmon or fish in the oven ? Buy frozen salmon or cheap frozen white fish , microwave in salt , pepper and lemon , microwave some frozen mixed veg , eat the bloody stuff

Spend all day making sunday lunch giving yourself a nervous breakdown ? Sod that , go to a pub , pay someone to make it for you

Time management is what it's all about . Forget all this masterchef nonsense . Eat , then watch tv , DVDs, listen to music , read , phone a mate .

Re: Are you a good cook ?

cooking is really easy these days sludge even i can knock up a dinner

think you need some education on your beef diet tho ! think you need a lecture about eating meat but will leave that for another day

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    cooking is really easy these days sludge even i can knock up a dinner

think you need some education on your beef diet tho ! think you need a lecture about eating meat but will leave that for another day
    Clueless, if my wife doesn't cook it, I'll have something like toast, cereal, tin of soup, sandwich, microwaved scrambled egg, quick and easy. Hungry, eat, not hungry.

I'm not a good cook, i always think if a meal takes long than it takes to prepare isn't worth it.

I take all the shortcuts, packet mix, jar sauces. In this instance I'm a bit like sludge.

I've never really tried, I'm not a foodie, i dont appreciate flavours and expensive food, i have been a vegatarian for 26 years so not had much meat before that.

I'm a better cook than my family are diners.

I like to work from raw ingredients, add herbs and spices, etc.
    Wife doesn't like "fancy stuff"; daughter won't eat most veg, her bf has fussy fads too.

So most days it's what's in the reezer.

I'll eat better when they all go to work.

Cooking a stir fry today,chicken,mushrooms,pakchoi.broccoli,springoni ons,beansprouts and a honey and chilli home made dressing.

I'm not a bad cook, it's certainly edible when i've finished. I'm a bit like sludge when i comes to food, the quicker the better, not interested as long as it tastes ok. I will eat al most anything as well.

I'm a pretty good cook. I enjoy it and share the cooking 50:50 with my other half. She experiments with new recipes more than me - I tend to cook what I know or else put things together from whatever ingredients we have in the house. I am OK with bread but have never got pastry right (not helped by wholemeal flour)

We have never had a microwave. We always steam veg - never boil. We even managed to cook Vegan for the best part of a week when my brother and his partner stayed - that became difficult after a few days, although I did start to appreciate lentils.

I am a pretty good cook. You just have to be into it. My Mrs isn't interested. I have NEVER been in a relationship with a girl who cooked. Weird.

I just ain't interested in the time and effort in preparation when I can be doing other things

Each to their own though

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I just ain't interested in the time and effort in preparation when I can be doing other things

Each to their own though
    It's the clearing and cleaning up afterwards that annoys me, especially after a long day at work. I love the actual cooking part though - it's good for your mental health, Sludgey boy!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm a pretty good cook. I enjoy it and share the cooking 50:50 with my other half. She experiments with new recipes more than me - I tend to cook what I know or else put things together from whatever ingredients we have in the house. I am OK with bread but have never got pastry right (not helped by wholemeal flour)

We have never had a microwave. We always steam veg - never boil. We even managed to cook Vegan for the best part of a week when my brother and his partner stayed - that became difficult after a few days, although I did start to appreciate lentils.
    Sounds like I'm similar to you in many ways, I don't think I'm a bad cook, but I do tend to stick to the "tried and trusted" too much and, because of that, my recipes are all based on when I started to get an interest in cooking which was at a time when I would make meals for myself and four others - hence my freezer tends to get jammed back these days if I decided to cook two different things in a week!

Doing a Sunday Roast, Beef ,roast potatoes, green vegetables and carrots with Yorkshire pudding and homemade gravy

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sounds like I'm similar to you in many ways, I don't think I'm a bad cook, but I do tend to stick to the "tried and trusted" too much and, because of that, my recipes are all based on when I started to get an interest in cooking which was at a time when I would make meals for myself and four others - hence my freezer tends to get jammed back these days if I decided to cook two different things in a week!
    In recent months I have tried to buy food and fruit I don't usually eat. And not mixing with people means that eating garlic almost every day is a rare treat.

No, but I dont need to be.

I have been on a Keto diet for a while (very low carb)
    eat meat, fruit and veg simple and clean.
    nothing processed, try to avoid prepared food as much as possible.
    most of my meat is from local butches and veg/ eggs from the farm.

I try to plan and prep makes it so much easier, this is todays:

Breakfast - natural yogurt with banana, mixed berries
    Brunch - Large 4 egg spinach omelette
    Lunch - grilled salmon and fried asparagus
    Tea - Large rump steak, basted in butter and garlic, with steamed veg.

No potato, bread, rice or pasta.

snacks: will try and eat an orange at some point during the day.
    also keep beef jerky at hand, and some frozen chicken wings i can quickly cook up if I need something quick without ruining diet.

if I have a busy day, dont have time to prep 4 meals, I often combine breaky and brunch into the same meal, and take tinned sardines out with me.

I then do 12hr water fast from 8:00pm- 8:00am, sounds cool but ridiculous easy as you sleep for 8 of those hours.
    also only drink water in the day, apart from green tea 1-2 cups a day

no soft drinks or alcohol.

10k run most nights at 9/10ish

International

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I have been on a Keto diet for a while (very low carb)
    eat meat, fruit and veg simple and clean.
    nothing processed, try to avoid prepared food as much as possible.
    most of my meat is from local butches and veg/ eggs from the farm.

I try to plan and prep makes it so much easier, this is todays:

Breakfast - natural yogurt with banana, mixed berries
    Brunch - Large 4 egg spinach omelette
    Lunch - grilled salmon and fried asparagus
    Tea - Large rump steak, basted in butter and garlic, with steamed veg.

No potato, bread, rice or pasta.

snacks: will try and eat an orange at some point during the day.
    also keep beef jerky at hand, and some frozen chicken wings i can quickly cook up if I need something quick without ruining diet.

if I have a busy day, dont have time to prep 4 meals, I often combine breaky and brunch into the same meal, and take tinned sardines out with me.

I then do 12hr water fast from 8:00pm- 8:00am, sounds cool but ridiculous easy as you sleep for 8 of those hours.
    also only drink water in the day, apart from green tea 1-2 cups a day

no soft drinks or alcohol.

10k run most nights at 9/10ish
    Sounds good except the last bit. How can you do a 10Km run when you are not taking in any water for 2 hours before and 9 hours after? That could be less than healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Sounds good except the last bit. How can you do a 10Km run when you are not taking in any water for 2 hours before and 9 hours after? That could be less than healthy.
    Yup, that doesn't sound clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's the clearing and cleaning up afterwards that annoys me, especially after a long day at work. I love the actual cooking part though - it's good for your mental health, Sludgey boy!
    Agree, creating something that is appreciated is good for the Brain. Hate the cleaning up though. In my house they're really fussy. My missus eats about four different things, my boy is allergic to anything green, my youngest isn't that bad. I'll eat anything, i'll try anything, even if i don't like it i'll finish it if i'm hungry. I bought some pigs trotters from the buthchers and slow cooked them with herbs. mild spices and a little oil, bloody lovely with some potatoes. My missus was Puking, she was going to throw me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Agree, creating something that is appreciated is good for the Brain. Hate the cleaning up though. In my house they're really fussy. My missus eats about four different things, my boy is allergic to anything green, my youngest isn't that bad. I'll eat anything, i'll try anything, even if i don't like it i'll finish it if i'm hungry. I bought some pigs trotters from the buthchers and slow cooked them with herbs. mild spices and a little oil, bloody lovely with some potatoes. My missus was Puking, she was going to throw me out.
    Trotters,hock, pigs cheek beautiful.I could not eat brawn it looks like dead baby hamsters

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    To be fair, when I had pigs trotters on my plate, I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them. And I'm all for trying new things.

But trotters, chicken feet, anything like that is a no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    To be fair, when I had pigs trotters on my plate, I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them. And I'm all for trying new things.

But trotters, chicken feet, anything like that is a no for me.
    Fair enogh mate, i just put it in my mouth and hope for the best! The only thing that i don't really like (but i'll eat it rather than waste it) is Mcdonalds food, there's like a plastic aftertaste, and i left a cheeseburger in my van once (still wrapped up) for two weeks, when i found it i ate it and it still tasted the same. Greggs is minging as well. The sausage rolls are like sucking fat through a sock.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Arseing about chopping and cooking vegetables , preheating an oven to cook a chicken , boiling rice for twenty minutes , pissingvabout with herbs and spices , it ain't my thing

I'm only good at quick prep meals like curry , chilli con carne, stir fry , spaghetti bolognese , anything past 30 minutes and I'm shit or wanting to punch something got not patience and temper flares if it goes bad

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'm only good at quick prep meals like curry , chilli con carne, stir fry , spaghetti bolognese , anything past 30 minutes and I'm shit or wanting to punch something got not patience and temper flares if it goes bad
    A shit version of Gordon Ramsey?