+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I vote to cancel the future, even if it saves just one life it will be worth it.
    I looked at the official stats last week for British deaths with seasonal flu strains during the past five years. They varied from a low 1,400+ in one year to 27K in another for an average over that span of 17K per annum.

I don't doubt that if the measures we have is situ today to battle COVID-19 had been adopted in those years prior then that 17K average would have been considerably lower. I acknowledge the British economy would have become a hollowed out wreck and consequently the vast majority of us would only be able to afford the most basic necessities and that trips to pubs, football matches and much more besides would already be a distant memory but nevertheless worthwhile to save British lives.

The ordinary common cold, another coronavirus, which there remains no vaccine for, can prove deadly for those with advanced COPD and other lung diseases. Now that most citizens accept the principle that people's health outweigh economic concerns then it would criminal should the government lift restrictions before vaccines are available for all coronaviruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I looked at the official stats last week for British deaths with seasonal flu strains during the past five years. They varied from a low 1,400+ in one year to 27K in another for an average over that span of 17K per annum.

I don't doubt that if the measures we have is situ today to battle COVID-19 had been adopted in those years prior then that 17K average would have been considerably lower. I acknowledge the British economy would have become a hollowed out wreck and consequently the vast majority of us would only be able to afford the most basic necessities and that trips to pubs, football matches and much more besides would already be a distant memory but nevertheless worthwhile to save British lives.

The ordinary common cold, another coronavirus, which there remains no vaccine for, can prove deadly for those with advanced COPD and other lung diseases. Now that most citizens accept the principle that people's health outweigh economic concerns then it would criminal should the government lift restrictions before vaccines are available for all coronaviruses.
    How come you're hiding on the politics forum, Organ? Did your brief outing on the main board leave you shaken?

So the worst flu year in the last five years was 27,000 deaths. That's in a year. Covid-19 has killed 16,000 in less than six weeks (excluding the many who have died in care homes).

Concentrating on the death rate was a good tactic earlier - not so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How come you're hiding on the politics forum, Organ? Did your brief outing on the main board leave you shaken?

So the worst flu year in the last five years was 27,000 deaths. That's in a year. Covid-19 has killed 16,000 in less than six weeks (excluding the many who have died in care homes).

I posted on the main forum yesterday.

Here's a video of some no nonsense British policing that all right-minded citizens will applaud: https://twitter.com/simonchilds13/st...18305889013760

As the sergeant correctly stated to the lunatic, "you're killing people!"

We need more like that officer, umpteen thousands of them to crackdown hard on anyone who doesn't care about saving British lives.

I'd welcome the introduction of Martial Law, wholesale curfews and anything else the government may deem necessary to enforce much greater compliancy.

How about you?

I posted on the main forum yesterday.

Here's a video of some no nonsense British policing that all right-minded citizens will applaud: https://twitter.com/simonchilds13/st...18305889013760

As the sergeant correctly stated to the lunatic, "you're killing people!"

We need more like that officer, umpteen thousands of them to crackdown hard on anyone who doesn't care about saving British lives.

I'd welcome the introduction of Martial Law, wholesale curfews and anything else the government may deem necessary to enforce much greater compliancy.

How about you?
    Changing the subject. Always a sure sign that someone hasn't really got a decent reply.

The post you quoted was about death rates. You were comparing annual figures for one virus with pretty much monthly figures of another.

Changing the subject. Always a sure sign that someone hasn't really got a decent reply.
    It's better than avoiding the subject, which is what you do

This twitter thread about cherrypicking statistics that are not comparable to make them seem comparable, reminded me of what Organ did here, comparing a bad entire year of flu deaths to a few weeks of covid deaths (unfinished) to downplay how serious it is.

When was the last time the common cold overran the capacity of the NHS?