+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

Re: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

It's a little sad but I'm happy to admit that after a week of pubs being shut down I went through Wetherspooning withdrawal symptoms. Now, less than a month on, I really wouldn't care a jot if they remain closed for a few years (perhaps forever) because that's my expectation after taking heed of what Whitty, Gates and that WHO boss have signalled to anyone who's prepared to listen and readjust accordingly. Believing in the false hope that a full return to life as it was before any of these restrictions came in might be just another month away is going to wear many people down.

The NHS is overwhelmed/hospitals are jam-packed message seems to have waned because from what I've read they are not any longer. What's going to keep young, fit and healthy people indoors then once swelteringly hot days arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I keep viewing news reports of an increasing number of people visiting parks and more traffic on the roads whenever the sun appears and temperatures rise. The government need to act by throwing increased resources at enforcing compliance otherwise more British people will lose their lives than otherwise would.

It was reported a few weeks back that Greater Manchester Police had broken up hundreds of house parties. They learned of them because good citizens had reported those highly dangerous gatherings to them. We need a widely advertised free national phone hotline manned by thousands to ensure no caller is placed on hold. Promoting a telltale culture would alarm wishy-washy liberal types who concern themselves with civil liberties and all that bollocks but I'm positive a large majority of the rest of us would welcome the introduction of a service like that.

Perhaps a system which offers small financial rewards for providing accurate tips that result in fines being issued would prove to be a valuable extra inducement?

In the first video below from two states in the USA one official encourages people to film (and report) those breaking social distancing rules.

Is there anyone else around here who would also welcome a new 'grassing' paradigm?

Is there any truth in the rumour in that it was Sludge who was sending cock pics to governor Cuomo causing Cuomo to announce the shutdown of his snitch line ?

413 new hospital deaths in the UK, the lowest daily total this month. That news is on the back of learning another Nightingale hospital is surplus to current requirements: Coronavirus: Birmingham's Nightingale hospital 'has no patients' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-52430855

I'm struggling more today than yesterday at how the government and media will be able to maintain a fear factor level high enough in the months ahead to keep people indoors when they'll be unable to deal the 'protect the NHS' card at every opportunity.

Watching Raab earlier it remains plain that the last restriction to be lifted will be the social distancing one. For as long as that one stays then mass gatherings (at the football, etc) will not be possible and it would be very doubtful whether a single pub, club, cafe or restaurant in the UK would be viable.

413 new hospital deaths in the UK, the lowest daily total this month. That news is on the back of learning another Nightingale hospital is surplus to current requirements: Coronavirus: Birmingham's Nightingale hospital 'has no patients' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-52430855

I'm struggling more today than yesterday at how the government and media will be able to maintain a fear factor level high enough in the months ahead to keep people indoors when they'll be unable to deal the 'protect the NHS' card at every opportunity.

Watching Raab earlier it remains plain that the last restriction to be lifted will be the social distancing one. For as long as that one stays then mass gatherings (at the football, etc) will not be possible and it would be very doubtful whether a single pub, club, cafe or restaurant in the UK would be viable.
    All diseases that lead to death are terrible, but I'm just not seeing a once in a hundred years catastrophic event here. Some of the media coverage, and even a few posters on here have been totally OTT. If Dr Birx is right about the end of May, then we are looking at a cycle similar to regular flu, which is around 4 months.

IMO, we will follow America and civil disorder will creep in, the two vids that WB posted above, I watched these yesterday, these doctors are using real data and not models, can their advice/knowledge regarding the immune system be refuted? Johnson needs to start introducing the open down, agree with pubs, cafes, sports events will be last to open up but he might have to start relenting before the public takes into their own hands, Sweden do not seem to be relenting of their policy and unless their curve has gone south over the past few days, their curve isn't that far away from countries who went all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    All diseases that lead to death are terrible, but I'm just not seeing a once in a hundred years catastrophic event here.
    Call me a madman by all means, but I’ve got a suspicion that the measures which have been introduced all over the world to combat this virus just might have contributed towards lowering the potential death rates. I appreciate that’s a wacky, outlandish viewpoint, but I think there might be something in it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Call me a madman by all means, but I’ve got a suspicion that the measures which have been introduced all over the world to combat this virus just might have contributed towards lowering the potential death rates. I appreciate that’s a wacky, outlandish viewpoint, but I think there might be something in it.
    Of course they did and I think we did it slightly too late in the this country .

I would have taken all flights down as well and flown back stranded folk on military airplanes and put them in 7 day forced quarantine

All diseases that lead to death are terrible, but I'm just not seeing a once in a hundred years catastrophic event here. Some of the media coverage, and even a few posters on here have been totally OTT. If Dr Birx is right about the end of May, then we are looking at a cycle similar to regular flu, which is around 4 months.
    The current 'manageable' situation is because of measures that were put in place. Measures which you didn't support.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    The current 'manageable' situation is because of measures that were put in place. Measures which you didn't support.
    I didn't support them going on forever like some people are calling for, and some countries that did nothing haven't had a once in a hundred years catastrophic situation.

I didn't support them going on forever like some people are calling for, and some countries that did nothing haven't had a once in a hundred years catastrophic situation.
    Who has done nothing and what is this about a 'once in a hundred years catastrophic situation'?

Come on, is there one person anywhere who has experienced a lockdown who wants it go on forever?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Come on, is there one person anywhere who has experienced a lockdown who wants it go on forever?
    Bill Gates reckons it's Pandemic 1, in a series of 1001 pandemics!

360 new hospital deaths in the UK, another successive daily low for the month of April but Johnson says Blighty's at the point of maximum risk - who's he trying to kid?

The playbook seems to entail scaring as many people as possible to continue hiding behind the settee until October time by talking up the spectre of a terrifying second wave.

That script will become worn out within a fortnight.

Bill Gates reckons it's Pandemic 1, in a series of 1001 pandemics!
    Which doesn't answer my question.

360 new hospital deaths in the UK, another successive daily low for the month of April but Johnson says Blighty's at the point of maximum risk - who's he trying to kid?
    Who knows, but he’s never going to kid you. After all, you know for a fact that it’s no worse than the flu, it only kills Asians and it was referenced in a prison document published as far back as 2015.

I'm hedged every which way for whatever may lie ahead.

When I was circa 18-20 I had seasonal flu for the only time. I'd never felt so ill; didn't have the strength to get out of bed for at least a week. I wouldn't fancy contracting similar nearly 40 years on. It's no surprise to me that 90% of UK dead are 60+ and that the mortality rate for those younger is minuscule because it has always been the way as anyone who has been able to filter out the hysteria is able to determine.

Heisenberg

I'm hedged every which way for whatever may lie ahead.

When I was circa 18-20 I had seasonal flu for the only time. I'd never felt so ill; didn't have the strength to get out of bed for at least a week. I wouldn't fancy contracting similar nearly 40 years on. It's no surprise to me that 90% of UK dead are 60+ and that the mortality rate for those younger is minuscule because it has always been the way as anyone who has been able to filter out the hysteria is able to determine.
    "Filter out the hysteria".

You thought PHE had put Covid-19 in a 2015 prison health document and you want to talk to people about what's hysterical? Amazing

Ah, Bill's fanboy makes a bow in this thread but not to add anything of worth. It's juvenile and true to form.

Heisenberg

Ah, Bill's fanboy makes a bow in this thread but not to add anything of worth. It's juvenile and true to form.

"Bill's fanboy" and "juvenile"

Still upset, I see

Correct me if I’m wrong, but during the worst flu pandemic the world has ever encountered, wasn’t it the 20 to 40 year olds who were in the most vulnerable age group?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but during the worst flu pandemic the world has ever encountered, wasn’t it the 20 to 40 year olds who were in the most vulnerable age group?
    Spanish Flu 1918-20:

The pandemic mostly killed young adults. In 1918–1919, 99% of pandemic influenza deaths in the U.S. occurred in people under 65, and nearly half of deaths were in young adults 20 to 40 years old. In 1920, the mortality rate among people under 65 had decreased sixfold to half the mortality rate of people over 65, but 92% of deaths still occurred in people under 65.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Spanish Flu 1918-20:

The pandemic mostly killed young adults. In 1918–1919, 99% of pandemic influenza deaths in the U.S. occurred in people under 65, and nearly half of deaths were in young adults 20 to 40 years old. In 1920, the mortality rate among people under 65 had decreased sixfold to half the mortality rate of people over 65, but 92% of deaths still occurred in people under 65.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Feels just like yesterday .