+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will we be able to go another City game in 2020?

Will we be able to go another City game in 2020?

Based on these comments yesterday;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52389285

I think not - my guess would be that fixtures will resume in a few months time behind closed doors with the option of watching them online.

Re: Will we be able to go another City game in 2020?

It might be a question of “would you WANT to put yourself at risk” !!!!!!

I’m on the fence at the moment, as to if I would want to put myself and my family at risk, for a game of football

It maybe a case of until there is a vaccine, I may not bother

Same here, Too much risk. In any case I don’t see mass gathering events being sanctioned for a long time. I can’t envisage myself going again until there is a vaccine. If and when there is one it is going to be a long time before it is rolled out to all and sundry. Old buggers like me will be standing at the back of the queue for it.

Probaly unlikely for many over 60 's.

Perhaps another question maybe is worth considering how many would without a proven vaccine in place ??

I guess with no spectators for the foreseeable future, many supporters - particularly further down the pyramid - may never get to see their team again. TV revenue may keep the top divisions going but the rest will surely struggle to survive

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Based on these comments yesterday;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52389285

I think not - my guess would be that fixtures will resume in a few months time behind closed doors with the option of watching them online.
    If social distancing is still in place then how can footballers, staff, etc avoid contact - one rule for one, one rule for another isn't going to go down well. Secondly, by the end of the year there'll be no sponsorship in football. Even if my 1st point is overcome, no-one is going to pay to watch football played behind closed doors. I doubt any club could pay wages - maybe furlough them at £2500 per month. The only people working will be those in the public sector, and who will be paying them ?

For those not working - prob 5-6 million, and those furloughed, paying a monthly fee to what pampered players stroll around an empty ground isn't really going to happen either.

I'm looking forward to getting to a few games in the 2021/22 season.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If social distancing is still in place then how can footballers, staff, etc avoid contact - one rule for one, one rule for another isn't going to go down well. Secondly, by the end of the year there'll be no sponsorship in football. Even if my 1st point is overcome, no-one is going to pay to watch football played behind closed doors. I doubt any club could pay wages - maybe furlough them at £2500 per month. The only people working will be those in the public sector, and who will be paying them ?

For those not working - prob 5-6 million, and those furloughed, paying a monthly fee to what pampered players stroll around an empty ground isn't really going to happen either.
    I think it's feasible that smaller gatherings than the sort you get with football crowds could be allowed and, given the reduced risk for younger people, that could include the sort of numbers needed to get a football game played - other people within the ground for administrative reasons, broadcasting purposes etc would be observing social distancing rules.

You think the only people who will be working are in the public sector?

I’m still trying to get my head around this, but lets suppose in 6 weeks’ time the City vs Leeds game gets played behind closed doors.

So, both team and their support staff get tested before the game. All are cleared, and so the game goes ahead.

Now let’s suppose 3-4 days later, some of the Leeds or City players are tested positive for Cov-19.
    So, the rules are that you should then isolate for 14 days (?), and so does everyone you’ve been in contact with.

….. so City’s team have to isolate, also Leeds ………….. so the next fixtures for both (behind closed doors) has to be postponed for at least 2 weeks
    So the whole revised fixture programme is then in total turmoil…… and that’s merely based on members of one team testing positive.

Am I understanding this correctly ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
    I’m still trying to get my head around this, but lets suppose in 6 weeks’ time the City vs Leeds game gets played behind closed doors.

So, both team and their support staff get tested before the game. All are cleared, and so the game goes ahead.

Now let’s suppose 3-4 days later, some of the Leeds or City players are tested positive for Cov-19.
    So, the rules are that you should then isolate for 14 days (?), and so does everyone you’ve been in contact with.

….. so City’s team have to isolate, also Leeds ………….. so the next fixtures for both (behind closed doors) has to be postponed for at least 2 weeks
    So the whole revised fixture programme is then in total turmoil…… and that’s merely based on members of one team testing positive.

You'd have to test anything up to 200 each game. If someone comes back positive after a game you would have to restrict both teams for more testing, and waiting, and teams they are going to play, and them, and so -on. Having a few thousand people travelling everywhere throughout England and Wales every 3-4 days could probably be one of the worst options..

I think it's feasible that smaller gatherings than the sort you get with football crowds could be allowed and, given the reduced risk for younger people, that could include the sort of numbers needed to get a football game played - other people within the ground for administrative reasons, broadcasting purposes etc would be observing social distancing rules.
    Even if games went ahead I wouldn't pay to watch football behind closed doors, and I doubt 90% would either. No income whatsoever coming in - football clubs - especially top ones - will fold. Spurs have three quarters of a billion pounds of debt to service..

The only people working will be those in the public sector, and who will be paying them ?
    You've become such a drama queen.

Even if games went ahead I wouldn't pay to watch football behind closed doors, and I doubt 90% would either. No income whatsoever coming in - football clubs - especially top ones - will fold. Spurs have three quarters of a billion pounds of debt to service..
    So we should just let loads of people die so badly run football clubs stay afloat?

How many on here are desperate to get to another game? Im not. Its surprising how your mind works when you break a cycle for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    So we should just let loads of people die so badly run football clubs stay afloat?
    He's not saying that at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You've become such a drama queen.
    Pot, kettle, black? You could have won an Oscar for your performance on here during the rebrand..

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    He's not saying that at all. Quite the opposite actually.
    What point is he trying to make then?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Pot, kettle, black? You could have won an Oscar for your performance on here during the rebrand..
    I was right, though.

I cant see crowds at football in 2020.

Will it even resume this year. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What point is he trying to make then?
    That games shouldn't resume so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post

I did say a few months as opposed to a few weeks. Six weeks is one and a half months, I was thinking more in terms of August-September by which time an awful lot more knowledge about the virus would have been accumulated than there is now and you'd like to think we'd be much better placed to avoid or deal with the sort of scenario you outline.

I can only talk for myself here, but I was struck by a message I read from Trigger I think it was a couple of days ago about how it seemed to him that there was more traffic about in recent days and more people appeared to be out and about than previously. This struck a chord with me for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I can't fully explain why and I think I'm almost certainly wrong in thinking this, but I've been feeling safer than I did this week. Part of the reason for this is that, although I'm not on the most vulnerable list it seems, the council agreed to have someone do my weekly shop for me - the girl who's done the shopping for me is very good, but she will only go to two smaller shops, so, inevitably, there are one or two items I really want which I'm not getting.

Three or four weeks ago, I would have just decided in that situation that I'll have to find a way of muddling through, but, now I have gloves and masks I can wear, I've been out twice this week to do food shopping and yesterday I drove over the mountain to Tescos Aberdare. What I saw made me believe Trigger was right - there was far more traffic around and there were two or three cars parked at all of the spots where you can stop to go walking or exercising - I saw about ten people just sat on some of the seats close to these areas just taking in the sun.

The evidence of how I'm thinking and the numbers I saw on my drive illustrate the difficulty involved in trying to get people to stick to the current policies, or something close to them, for weeks, let alone the months that were talked about yesterday. I'll admit to being surprised at how well the social distancing and isolating policies have been observed so far, but people are going to need to be shown a bit of light of the end of the tunnel at some stage because otherwise they'll start thinking the "cure" is worse than the disease and I feel a return for sport, albeit on a very limited basis, would be one way of providing this.

Finally, I'm fairly sure I would have little appetite for a full return for sport to what it was just six weeks ago, but I am missing it and I am missing City, so I would definitely be interested in watching fixtures and events played behind closed doors online.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was right, though.

You were right in as much as you now realise you shouldn't have made supporting the City, such a big part of your life. Its only a game. You got your fingers emotionally burnt, but you’ve come back a stronger man. Hats off to you for finally realising this. 👍

I did say a few months as opposed to a few weeks. Six weeks is one and a half months, I was thinking more in terms of August-September by which time an awful lot more knowledge about the virus would have been accumulated than there is now and you'd like to think we'd be much better placed to avoid or deal with the sort of scenario you outline.

I can only talk for myself here, but I was struck by a message I read from Trigger I think it was a couple of days ago about how it seemed to him that there was more traffic about in recent days and more people appeared to be out and about than previously. This struck a chord with me for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I can't fully explain why and I think I'm almost certainly wrong in thinking this, but I've been feeling safer than I did this week. Part of the reason for this is that, although I'm not on the most vulnerable list it seems, the council agreed to have someone do my weekly shop for me - the girl who's done the shopping for me is very good, but she will only go to two smaller shops, so, inevitably, there are one or two items I really want which I'm not getting.

Three or four weeks ago, I would have just decided in that situation that I'll have to find a way of muddling through, but, now I have gloves and masks I can wear, I've been out twice this week to do food shopping and yesterday I drove over the mountain to Tescos Aberdare. What I saw made me believe Trigger was right - there was far more traffic around and there were two or three cars parked at all of the spots where you can stop to go walking or exercising - I saw about ten people just sat on some of the seats close to these areas just taking in the sun.

The evidence of how I'm thinking and the numbers I saw on my drive illustrate the difficulty involved in trying to get people to stick to the current policies, or something close to them, for weeks, let alone the months that were talked about yesterday. I'll admit to being surprised at how well the social distancing and isolating policies have been observed so far, but people are going to need to be shown a bit of light of the end of the tunnel at some stage because otherwise they'll start thinking the "cure" is worse than the disease and I feel a return for sport, albeit on a very limited basis, would be one way of providing this.

Finally, I'm fairly sure I would have little appetite for a full return for sport to what it was just six weeks ago, but I am missing it and I am missing City, so I would definitely be interested in watching fixtures and events played behind closed doors online.

We live on the main Thornhill Road (bottom of Caerphilly mountain) and we’ve definitely noticed an increase in traffic this week, especially White Van Man

The idea that people would stick to the restrictions for months is pure folly and always has been

I've also noticed a lot more people out and about when I've been making my way home from work (Generally around 10am), a few weeks ago the roads were completely dead, now the traffic is returning to normal-ish levels