+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Insane Trump supporters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Insane Trump supporters

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What is your friend reasonable about?

I would have thought that someone who thinks what you describe couldn't isolate that particular opinion from the rest of their personality and world view. Even if I knew someone like that who shared my love of Cardiff City or particular films or music genres, or who liked to walk the same trails as me, I would struggle to maintain a friendship.

It always interests me to see people who are friends across seemingly intractable divides (more extreme differences than say Diane Abbott and Michael Portillo who maintained a very close friendship - he was he son's godfather). For me those kinds of extreme (and to me offensive) views are not a take it or leave it add on, but central to who they are. I know it happens, but it baffles me.
    Some have the skills and qualities to deal with a wide range of subjects or areas ?

Re: Insane Trump supporters

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Some have the skills and qualities to deal with a wide range of subjects or areas ?
    Of course. I think most of us deal with a wide range of subjects or areas - and differences are no barrier to personal relationships.

And some decide that there are nevertheless some barriers to friendship - red lines we will not cross.. Are you saying, for arguments sake, that you have 'the skills and qualities' to make friends with racists, Nazis or child abusers? I know some people do - I assume from your comment that you are one of them.