+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

  1. #1

    When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Not seen a note of the realm in weeks, and don't think I'll bother anymore. Cashless is so much easier.

    Also not bought petrol for about six weeks.

  2. #2

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Not seen a note of the realm in weeks, and don't think I'll bother anymore. Cashless is so much easier.

    Also not bought petrol for about six weeks.
    Very reluctantly started using my card to pay for even the smallest transactions, wasn't initially keen on it, but think that's an age thing (60), and I'm sure it'll soon be the norm. I'm not even getting receipts which is progress. Bought petrol twice on Saturday, drove from Barry to Aberdeen in a hire car, no flights. Roads were a dream. Was home for seven weeks and topped my car up once.

  3. #3

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    I used cash on Saturday and I'm another who hasn't bought petrol in six weeks.

  4. #4

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Yesterday, put 40 of diesel in the van. Bought a paper on Saturday morning (for the telly pullout). Shopped with cash regularly these last few weeks as always.

  5. #5

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Gave the wife’s cousin 2.50p for getting 2 bags of flour (one plain, one self raising) from a little corner shop in ROATH, as no flour in any of the big super markets

  6. #6

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    I actually bought petrol with cash yesterday. What do I win?

    Only used cash as card machine wasn't working.

  7. #7

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Used cash to pay for lottery tickets at Co-op.

    They are happy to sell tickets and handle cash but refuse to pay out any winnings - apparently its due to "government legislation".

  8. #8

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I actually bought petrol with cash yesterday. What do I win?

    Only used cash as card machine wasn't working.
    Think theres only prizes if it was also for a non essential journey and you licked the pump

  9. #9

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Largely cashless for a long time but did occasionally draw a few notes out, last time probably just prior to lockdown.

    Only had to get petrol twice since lockdown now I'm working from home 3 out of 5 days. Last week being the last, only one of two on the forecourt at 5.30pm was a bit weird.

  10. #10

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Not seen a note of the realm in weeks, and don't think I'll bother anymore. Cashless is so much easier.

    Also not bought petrol for about six weeks.
    Not used cash this year I don't think?

    Car is full and not be used at all, I may need some petrol for the mower though, I'm doing more miles on that then the car!

  11. #11

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Just put 50 worth of fuel in the car, paid in reddies

  12. #12

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Gave the wife’s cousin 2.50p for getting 2 bags of flour (one plain, one self raising) from a little corner shop in ROATH, as no flour in any of the big super markets
    De-floured?

  13. #13

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    no cash or petrol for about six weeks - also turned the car engines over yesterday - first start up for about 3 weeks - smell of petrol was horrendous

  14. #14

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just put 50 worth of fuel in the car, paid in reddies
    Red diesel?

  15. #15

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    years ago

  16. #16

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    I filled up about a quarter of a tank a fortnight ago, or so, because the fuel was cheap and there was no queue. Hardly been anywhere in the car since.
    As for cash, the post office round the corner wont take cards under a fiver so had to use cash for the first time in ages to buy bread. I commented at the time that using cash is an unusual experience and still have notes in my wallet since before Christmas. Anyway, we should all be making the transition to human chip and pin. Not long now and we'll all be microchipped. Touch and go.😊
    Last edited by IanD; 27-04-20 at 09:47. Reason: Spolling. No such thing as a pist office.

  17. #17
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,406

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    I filled up about a quarter of a tank a fortnight ago, or so, because the fuel was cheap and there was no queue. Hardly been anywhere in the car since.
    As for cash, the post office round the corner wont take cards under a fiver so had to use cash for the first time in ages to buy bread. I commented at the time that using cash is an unusual experience and still have notes in my wallet since before Christmas. Anyway, we should all be making the transition to human chip and pin. Not long now and we'll all be microchipped. Touch and go.��
    Will that mean a girl can empty your bank account literally while you are bonking her and not weait until you marry her?

  18. #18

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    I avoid the contactless cards - had wallet stolen, the scum made a number of transactions up to 30. Was able to get the cash back and reported the pattern of purchases / locations down to exact stores to police but nothing was done.

    I'd rather take a few extra seconds entering PIN than the hassle of that again.

  19. #19
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,406

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    topped my car up last week while its cheap, about 30. Paid by card at the pump. I've had 60 in my pocket since 21 Mar, forgot it was there until she was washing the jeans and found it, then it sat on the window sill till yesterday.

  20. #20
    First Team TISS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    in your head
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    I'm currently getting six weeks to the gallon

  21. #21

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Gave the wife’s cousin 2.50p for getting 2 bags of flour (one plain, one self raising) from a little corner shop in ROATH, as no flour in any of the big super markets
    The corner shops have been a godsend last few weeks. Hope everyone remembers when this is all over.

  22. #22

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    The corner shops have been a godsend last few weeks. Hope everyone remembers when this is all over.
    You think?

    Cornershops have had reduced custom due to higher prices than supermarkets. Why is covid-19 going to change people's views? It's the same as those complaining about high street stores closing yet using the internet to buy at lower prices.

  23. #23

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Will that mean a girl can empty your bank account literally while you are bonking her and not weait until you marry her?
    Depends which part of your anatomy is chipped....and where she places the receiver!

  24. #24
    First Team Heathblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melmac, Aldente Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Not bought Gas for about 5 weeks, but will get some tonight after work, last time i used cash was last Friday, 4 to our lotto syndicate.
    they won a million pounds here about 8 years ago, 10 of them in it at the time 100k ea. it was the postcode thingy or someting like that.

  25. #25

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Haven't needed to put any diesel in the car for 5 weeks and still have half a tank left.
    Just queued to get into the Tesco Metro in Treforest and it makes you wonder , as the worker they had checking the queue outside was physically handing out cards to ask you to go online and tell them how you felt they were dealing with the situation. Not handing out business cards to everyone would be a bloody start!!

  26. #26

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    I can't remember the last time I used cash. Probably when I bought something on Craiglist earlier this year. I don't even remember when. Before this, I only used it when I absolutely had to. I usually carry it though. I've had the same $100 bill for at least two months now. It and rest of my cash has been sitting in a drawer for the last 5 weeks. I don't even carry a wallet now. When I go out, I take one card, my car key and a pair of reading glasses. I have a cleaning station in the garage where I clean everything before briging it into the house. Haven't filled the car in over a month. I think there's still over 200 miles in the tank. I don't even know how much petrol is at the moment.

  27. #27

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Last bought petrol 2 weeks ago- 5 to fill the mower. Last used cash by choice in the mid noughties. I keep some spare coins in the car in case I fancy a burger from one of those car park burger vans, or to pay for parking. But that is it. If shops take only cash i don't use them. To be honest if they dont take amex I dont bother unless I have to- B&Q is ditched in favour of jewsons and wickes. If a tradesman won't accept a bank transfer and insist on cash i wont use him, but that is more on moral grounds than convenience. The only one who insisted on cash after the event never turned up to collect it anyway. I cannot remember the last bar, pub or restaurant that didnt take card. My local chinese is cash only but its rubbish anyway, so no loss there. But otherwise, card payment acceptance is so commonplace that using cash would be very odd. I cannot imagine how long it would take to get a drink in some bars if everyone still paid in cash.

    When my kids are old enough to learn about money i will start using it again for small items - I think it is more likely to help them learn than credit cards. But otherwise I see no reason to roll back the clock 15 years.

  28. #28

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Last bought petrol 2 weeks ago- 5 to fill the mower. Last used cash by choice in the mid noughties. I keep some spare coins in the car in case I fancy a burger from one of those car park burger vans, or to pay for parking. But that is it. If shops take only cash i don't use them. To be honest if they dont take amex I dont bother unless I have to- B&Q is ditched in favour of jewsons and wickes. If a tradesman won't accept a bank transfer and insist on cash i wont use him, but that is more on moral grounds than convenience. The only one who insisted on cash after the event never turned up to collect it anyway. I cannot remember the last bar, pub or restaurant that didnt take card. My local chinese is cash only but its rubbish anyway, so no loss there. But otherwise, card payment acceptance is so commonplace that using cash would be very odd. I cannot imagine how long it would take to get a drink in some bars if everyone still paid in cash.

    When my kids are old enough to learn about money i will start using it again for small items - I think it is more likely to help them learn than credit cards. But otherwise I see no reason to roll back the clock 15 years.
    Takes ages in some bars, you’re waiting there with the right cash but the till’s tied up because the on the counter card machine is busy. Cash every time for me, cards are a bloody nuisance. Lose your card and you’re buggered, this contactless thing can see you cleaned a bit sharpish by an unscrupulous type who finds it ( or has nicked it). Lose a fiver and you’re a fiver down, no big deal. Every card transaction monitors your every move Big Brother like, I’m sure this results in a bombardment of adverts on your phone, iPad etc. You know where you are with cash, when you’re skint you go home. No brakes with card payments, but that’s what the powers that be want I s’pose, people spending to the max and being owned, more or less, by the financial institutions.

  29. #29

    Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

    Filled up Tuesday, well put 20 quid in to run about

    Had cash handed to me when I did a mates shopping as well so Ive been using that since last Tuesday also, local shop and chippy etc.

    More often than not though I use my card.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •