Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: This NHS app

Re: This NHS app

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    #clapforTLG
    #clapfortheapp

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Who controls the data? The NHS have some serious form when it comes to Data Breaches.
    “I can’t give you a definitive list of exactly who would have access to the data,” said Gould.

The CEO of NHSx doesn't know who has access.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    What information do you have to hand that makes you think installing this app is a bad idea? It would help if you told me, maybe you'd be doing me a favour and I would also not install the app. I am completely open minded to this, but the current facts are that the personal data this app collects is so minimal it would struggle to identify you. Add in the protections of GDPR and I feel quite safe.

Incidentally, we are all posting this on a site that is marked "NOT SECURE". It's also a forum that downloads cookies even when you explicitly ask for them not to be downloaded. But - yes - let's avoid a Tory App because someone said it is not safe despite having not seen any of the sourcecode (until about 5 hours ago).
    "A de-centralised smartphone contact tracing system – the type contemplated by “DP-3T” and being considered by governments across Europe and also Apple and Google – would be likely to comply with both human rights and data protection laws. In contrast, a centralised smartphone system – which is the current UK Government proposal – is a greater interference with fundamental rights and would require significantly greater justification to be lawful. That justification has not yet been forthcoming."

https://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/news/leg...ing-published/

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    #clapfortheapp
    Does it trace that? Useful. "Warning, you are less than 6 inches away from a woman with chlamydia"...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Not all heroes wear capes
    Wow, Lone Gunman, what a marvellous sacrifice you are making. It puts my partner, who works in a care home and has twice developed symptoms, to complete shame. My partner was complaining about being paid just £95 for the recent week off waiting for a test result. I'll ask my partner to donate the £95 to the Lone Gunman statue fund that must surely now be gaining pace.

Like you said, "If everyone did what I am doing the virus would be gone by now". I apologise for paraphrasing, as I am sure you will apologise for being completely unscientific. But, let's just analyse that for a moment. If everyone was going to work, as you are doing, then keeping 2m apart would be impossible.

You also said "I am putting myself at risk without putting others in danger". I questioned the logic of that. It appears I was wrong to do so. I would also be equally wrong to suggest that boycotting Cardiff matches from the Bob Bank is daft, in fact it shows your complete brilliance of thinking outside the box. I think it is absolutely amazing how, in your dealings with security guards, workmen, courier drivers and so on, that you are not putting them at risk whilst, at the same time, being at risk from them. I will call Imperial College first thing on Monday to tell them of this latest development, that somehow you have discovered that the virus only travels in one direction, and that is towards you.

If we could simply isolate you, then the virus would be ****ed. It wouldn't know where to go. It would probably decide to kill itself, such would be its state of melancholy from not being able to get to you.

I am eternally grateful that you spent time discussing the topic with mere mortals.

And, you know what, you are right. I HAVE been spending much of the lockdown at home. I wouldn't say I am "hiding" behind a computer screen all day, but I do have more time on my hands as a result of there being less work (and less pay), but hey - that is by the by now I know that a loss of money is nothing compared to the sacrifices you are making daily. But, I have taken your advice and as soon as my partner comes home from their night shift at a covid riddled care home, we're going to head on out there. Obviously, we'll be keeping our 2m distance from others. And, this app, yep again you are right. Nobody is going to download it, so why should we? Who, in the general public, would want to be alerted come the expected day of my partner getting covid-19 and the likely chance that they have come into contact with us as we exercise extreme 2m social distancing and get out and about there.

Thank-you The Lone Gunman. On Thursday we clapped for the NHS. Tonight, we're all going to clap for you. It'll be emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Wouldn't it have to identify you? That's the point, isn't it?
    Now, I am not claiming to know exactly what this means but

https://twitter.com/kennyog/status/1...311379459?s=20

https://twitter.com/kennyog/status/1...837569541?s=20

Doesn't sound good to me. This view is echoed by a shit ton of people educated in the area of CS with a particular interest in data and privacy legislation.

These people aren't anti-tories, anto-government or serial conspiracy theorists.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    "A de-centralised smartphone contact tracing system – the type contemplated by “DP-3T” and being considered by governments across Europe and also Apple and Google – would be likely to comply with both human rights and data protection laws. In contrast, a centralised smartphone system – which is the current UK Government proposal – is a greater interference with fundamental rights and would require significantly greater justification to be lawful. That justification has not yet been forthcoming."

https://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/news/leg...ing-published/
    Are you saying a centralised system is free from GDPR rules?

To be frank, travel to and from Europe would make the use of any tracing app pointless. It's going to be difficult enough to get it to work within the borders of the UK. Especially with ill-founded skepticism based on nothing more than "Tories = BAD". I hate the Tories as much as the next person, but I can rise above that during a crisis.
    However you still fail to answer why we needed our own instead of it using something tried and tested. This has nothing to do with politics. Had Labour in Cardiff bay decided to have their own app and waste money on that when there's a perfectly good option already working that would be more beneficial, I'd have called them mad.

Banned

Now, I am not claiming to know exactly what this means but

https://twitter.com/kennyog/status/1...311379459?s=20

https://twitter.com/kennyog/status/1...837569541?s=20

Doesn't sound good to me. This view is echoed by a shit ton of people educated in the area of CS with a particular interest in data and privacy legislation.
    That was written on May 4th. The SourceCode was released yesterday.

Going back to Tuerto's point - the app doesn't have to identify you.

Out of interest - if the app used the decentralised design, would you then start using it?

Banned

“I can’t give you a definitive list of exactly who would have access to the data,” said Gould.

The CEO of NHSx doesn't know who has access.
    Again, the question is what data is collected in addition to the ones already known about?

Are you saying a centralised system is free from GDPR rules?
    What do you mean 'free from'? In breach of? Entirely possible. Governments **** up and break their own rules all the time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    However you still fail to answer why we needed our own instead of it using something tried and tested. This has nothing to do with politics. Had Labour in Cardiff bay decided to have their own app and waste money on that when there's a perfectly good option already working that would be more beneficial, I'd have called them mad.
    Are the other apps really tried and tested? This is all in its infancy. Let's say they used the Apple/Google app - you know full well they'd have been slaughtered by the same people slaughtering them for this app. "Government sells our data to big corporates" etc etc. Whichever way they try to track and trace was always going to be beset by a "They're tracking us man" attitude. Initially the seeds of discourse were spread by the very people questioning the logic of a lockdown. It has snowballed from there.

Again, the question is what data is collected in addition to the ones already known about?
    The question is whether it is completely anonymised. The tweet I posted above (and countless others I have seen) seem to indicate that it might not be. If it isn't then gdpr rules still apply and the CEO of nhsx not being able to tell us who has access to the data makes it a non-starter.

Have you asked yourself why they didn't go the other direction? A purely contact tracing app based on the dp-3t protocol? Why was threatening the integrity and therefore success of the app worth having postcode data on self-diagnosed symptomatic users.

Banned

What do you mean 'free from'? In breach of? Entirely possible. Governments **** up and break their own rules all the time.
    It's entirely possible that they may breach GDPR. It's entirely possible they may not. The Sourcecode has been available for 15 hours, has been tested by Pen Testing groups, and I haven't seen anything yet that rings alarm bells. But, because some people who have IT qualifications suggest it is completely vulnerable to attack and abuse (before seeing the sourcecode) - we must believe them because of their qualifications? That is flawed.

Hopefully these qualified people that you rely so heavily on (despite not knowing anything of their past, I've looked at a few of your Twitter links and can see these people, historically, cry foul with practically every Government app) can use their skills to pinpoint the elements of code that prove that they are getting access to data in addition to that which is wilfully supplied. Once they've done that, I'll take a look and probably decide not to download the app if it is too intrusive. Can't say fairer than that now.

Are the other apps really tried and tested? This is all in its infancy. Let's say they used the Apple/Google app - you know full well they'd have been slaughtered by the same people slaughtering them for this app. "Government sells our data to big corporates" etc etc. Whichever way they try to track and trace was always going to be beset by a "They're tracking us man" attitude. Initially the seeds of discourse were spread by the very people questioning the logic of a lockdown. It has snowballed from there.
    Except none of that is true. All of the opposition from experts in cs, data and privacy that I have seen has been built around a constructive wish that the government changes course and adopts the decentralised approach.

Whichever way they try to track and trace was always going to be beset by a "They're tracking us man" attitude.
    So, according to your own words, absolutely no reason why we needed our own app and waste money on it. Why do we need our own app?

Banned

The question is whether it is completely anonymised. The tweet I posted above (and countless others I have seen) seem to indicate that it might not be. If it isn't then gdpr rules still apply and the CEO of nhsx not being able to tell us who has access to the data makes it a non-starter.

Have you asked yourself why they didn't go the other direction? A purely contact tracing app based on the dp-3t protocol? Why was threatening the integrity and therefore success of the app worth having postcode data on self-diagnosed symptomatic users.
    It "might not be" anonymised. The sourcecode is now available and that will soon be proven or disproven I suppose.

As for the postcode data being collected - they ask for the first half of your postcode. Mine is NP10. Now you know who I am!

On the dp-3t protocol - this has also sparked uproar in Europe for privacy concerns. Maybe the App developers were acting on that response?

Heisenberg

Wow, Lone Gunman, what a marvellous sacrifice you are making. It puts my partner, who works in a care home and has twice developed symptoms, to complete shame. My partner was complaining about being paid just £95 for the recent week off waiting for a test result. I'll ask my partner to donate the £95 to the Lone Gunman statue fund that must surely now be gaining pace.

Like you said, "If everyone did what I am doing the virus would be gone by now". I apologise for paraphrasing, as I am sure you will apologise for being completely unscientific. But, let's just analyse that for a moment. If everyone was going to work, as you are doing, then keeping 2m apart would be impossible.

You also said "I am putting myself at risk without putting others in danger". I questioned the logic of that. It appears I was wrong to do so. I would also be equally wrong to suggest that boycotting Cardiff matches from the Bob Bank is daft, in fact it shows your complete brilliance of thinking outside the box. I think it is absolutely amazing how, in your dealings with security guards, workmen, courier drivers and so on, that you are not putting them at risk whilst, at the same time, being at risk from them. I will call Imperial College first thing on Monday to tell them of this latest development, that somehow you have discovered that the virus only travels in one direction, and that is towards you.

If we could simply isolate you, then the virus would be ****ed. It wouldn't know where to go. It would probably decide to kill itself, such would be its state of melancholy from not being able to get to you.

I am eternally grateful that you spent time discussing the topic with mere mortals.

And, you know what, you are right. I HAVE been spending much of the lockdown at home. I wouldn't say I am "hiding" behind a computer screen all day, but I do have more time on my hands as a result of there being less work (and less pay), but hey - that is by the by now I know that a loss of money is nothing compared to the sacrifices you are making daily. But, I have taken your advice and as soon as my partner comes home from their night shift at a covid riddled care home, we're going to head on out there. Obviously, we'll be keeping our 2m distance from others. And, this app, yep again you are right. Nobody is going to download it, so why should we? Who, in the general public, would want to be alerted come the expected day of my partner getting covid-19 and the likely chance that they have come into contact with us as we exercise extreme 2m social distancing and get out and about there.

Thank-you The Lone Gunman. On Thursday we clapped for the NHS. Tonight, we're all going to clap for you. It'll be emotional.
    Well, I never expected to see you turn on TLG so quickly after all of the sucking up we saw you do during rebrand/boycotting years you spent on here together.

It must be like meeting your hero and them ignoring you - so you start to resent them and slag them off due to the hurt that they've caused you.

Sad (as in 'pitiful') and hilarious in equal measure.

Banned

So, according to your own words, absolutely no reason why we needed our own app and waste money on it. Why do we need our own app?
    Are those my own words? Or, are those my misinterpreted words?

The other protocol in use has sparked privacy fears and warnings in Europe. I am merely acknowledging that whichever app path they decided to go down, they would have been met by the same resistance and from the exact same group of people.

For example, would Eric Cartman download the app if suddenly the app developers said "We are moving to a decentralised system"?

It "might not be" anonymised. The sourcecode is now available and that will soon be proven or disproven I suppose.

As for the postcode data being collected - they ask for the first half of your postcode. Mine is NP10. Now you know who I am!

On the dp-3t protocol - this has also sparked uproar in Europe for privacy concerns. Maybe the App developers were acting on that response?
    The source code of the app/client side is available but not the server side.

Are those my own words? Or, are those my misinterpreted words?

The other protocol in use has sparked privacy fears and warnings in Europe. I am merely acknowledging that whichever app path they decided to go down, they would have been met by the same resistance and from the exact same group of people.

For example, would Eric Cartman download the app if suddenly the app developers said "We are moving to a decentralised system"?
    You've said whichever path they went down, they would have been met by the same resistance. That's pretty much what you said in your earlier reply to me. In other words, regardless of what app was offered, the same people would have had concerns.

So why did we bother? What was the point in wasting money on it? I'm still nonethewiser.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Well, I never expected to see you turn on TLG so quickly after all of the sucking up we saw you do during rebrand/boycotting years you spent on here together.

It must be like meeting your hero and them ignoring you - so you start to resent them and slag them off due to the hurt that they've caused you.

Sad (as in 'pitiful') and hilarious in equal measure.
    This probably makes more sense to you than it does to me, I think it comes from the quirky nature of this board where everyone usually agrees but, if someone disagrees, then they must be the exact same person who disagreed with us the last time. It stems from the fact I have not been following Cardiff fortunes closely recently because of long standing family issues.

Regardless, this isn't me "turning" on anyone. It's me pointing out the lack of critical thinking being applied in the flat refusal to download an app. You, like the Lone Gunman, can turn it into an ad hominem attack if you like. You both have the same habit of popping up in threads and taking them off topic. If I applied the same primary school level of critical thinking that you have applied to me, I would come to the natural conclusion that you and The Lone Gunman are the exact same people. I mean, it really isn't possible for more than one person to disagree with us is it?

Hopefully your next post in this thread is on topic because I wouldn't want to ignore yet another person (or maybe the same person) for trolling.

Banned

You've said whichever path they went down, they would have been met by the same resistance. That's pretty much what you said in your earlier reply to me. In other words, regardless of what app was offered, the same people would have had concerns.

So why did we bother? What was the point in wasting money on it? I'm still nonethewiser.

Are you suggesting that Governments stop doing things because of little pockets of resistance? How would Government even function?

Banned

The source code of the app/client side is available but not the server side.
    The data will be obtained by the app.

Heisenberg

This probably makes more sense to you than it does to me, I think it comes from the quirky nature of this board where everyone usually agrees but, if someone disagrees, then they must be the exact same person who disagreed with us the last time. It stems from the fact I have not been following Cardiff fortunes closely recently because of long standing family issues.

Regardless, this isn't me "turning" on anyone. It's me pointing out the lack of critical thinking being applied in the flat refusal to download an app. You, like the Lone Gunman, can turn it into an ad hominem attack if you like. You both have the same habit of popping up in threads and taking them off topic. If I applied the same primary school level of critical thinking that you have applied to me, I would come to the natural conclusion that you and The Lone Gunman are the exact same people. I mean, it really isn't possible for more than one person to disagree with us is it?

Hopefully your next post in this thread is on topic because I wouldn't want to ignore yet another person (or maybe the same person) for trolling.
    Ok Jirga