+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How can Jersey be so far ahead of us ?

Re: How can Jersey be so far ahead of us ?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Nevermind that, more people will have died due to covid than of it soon. Maybe the government realise they have to get the economy going at some point or else everything is ****ed anyway. I dread to think of the amount of missed cancer appointments, just to name one important medical issue, that’s being missed right now. We have to slowly open up at some point......
    What's the tally so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So which of your family and friends would you sacrifice? No-one ever seems to be able to answer that question, probably because there is no answer. It's always easier to say "people die" etc, when they're not a part of your life. Ask people who have lost loved ones to this virus whether the economy is more important. I bet you'll struggle to find many.

FWIW I thought the Prime Minister got things pretty much right tonight. There should be opportunities for people to work, providing social distancing can be observed. There should be more opportunities for outdoor recreation as long as social distancing can be observed. I thought he did well to put the ball into the hands of the public. Act like idiots, create a second wave of this virus and the lockdown will get tighter. Act responsibly, get the number of cases and deaths down, and there can be further relaxations of the lockdown. It's up to us, but up to us all. If too many people act irresponsibly, we'll all suffer as a result, both in terms of a harsher lockdown with stiffer penalties and in terms of people dying of Covid-19.
    I’ve already lost an auntie to it. She was in a nursing home. Unfortunate but she didn’t have long left anyway.

Now I would rather sacrifice her than one of my children. The outlook for them was pretty bleak before this pandemic, god help what it’s going to look like if we shut down until a vaccine is found.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Would Perth have large gatherings like the millennium stadium events , higher ethnic mix , does it suffer from high levels of obesity , have busy transport links and flowththough , which can all cause wider spread of this virus ???
    I live in a village where the population is just under 6,000. Perth has a population of just short of 2 million and, when you factor in the half a million or so others in Western Australia, it's pretty certain that less people have died from Covid in Perth than in my village. Why is that happening?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do the Welsh Nazis march and meet in large gatherings, might explain our R rating ??
    You can usually find them going absolutely mental at anyone who doesn’t share there ideal of an independent Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Thousands less than have actually died this year, as proven by the ONS figures published every Tuesday.
    I'm looking at the latest ONS spreadsheet. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

According to that, in the first 4 months of the year, 229,308 people died in England and Wales this year. As an average over the previous 5 years, 195,648 died.

Up to the 3rd week of March, the death rate in England and Wales was over 5,000 less than the average of 2015-19. Over the last week of March and the whole of April, there have been 90,392 deaths this year but only an average of 51,910 over the same period in 2015-19. For those 5 weeks the number of deaths compared to the average has risen by aroudn 1,000, 6,000, 8,000, 12,000 and 11,500.

That's from their own spreadsheet.

What's the tally so far?
    Don’t know, I guess we will find out in a year or so when folks are terminal or had heart attacks etc...

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I’ve already lost an auntie to it. She was in a nursing home. Unfortunate but she didn’t have long left anyway.

Now I would rather sacrifice her than one of my children. The outlook for them was pretty bleak before this pandemic, god help what it’s going to look like if we shut down until a vaccine is found.
    Sorry to hear about that.

Thousands less than have actually died this year, as proven by the ONS figures published every Tuesday.
    Interesting remarks. I wish the ONS would compile and publish stats for those Britons who have died of COVID-19 rather than 'involving' COVID-19.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...26#coviddeaths

Deaths involving COVID-19
    Our latest data on weekly deaths registrations include deaths involving COVID-19. Up to 24 April, there were 27,356 deaths registered in England and Wales involving COVID-19 (15,964 men and 11,392 women).

The majority of deaths involving COVID-19 have been among people aged 65 years and over (24,009 out of 27,356), with 43% (10,410) of these occurring in the over-85 age group.

Our figures are based on deaths registered in the stated period and include all deaths where “COVID-19” was mentioned on death certificates. They differ from those published by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), which are based on deaths occurring to date among those who have tested positive for COVID-19.

DHSC figures are valuable because they are available quickly and give an indication of what is happening daily. Our numbers are slower to prepare because they have to be certified by a doctor, registered and processed. But once ready, they are the most comprehensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Interesting remarks. I wish the ONS would compile and publish stats for those Britons who have died of COVID-19 rather than 'involving' COVID-19.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...26#coviddeaths

Deaths involving COVID-19
    Our latest data on weekly deaths registrations include deaths involving COVID-19. Up to 24 April, there were 27,356 deaths registered in England and Wales involving COVID-19 (15,964 men and 11,392 women).

The majority of deaths involving COVID-19 have been among people aged 65 years and over (24,009 out of 27,356), with 43% (10,410) of these occurring in the over-85 age group.

Our figures are based on deaths registered in the stated period and include all deaths where “COVID-19” was mentioned on death certificates. They differ from those published by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), which are based on deaths occurring to date among those who have tested positive for COVID-19.

DHSC figures are valuable because they are available quickly and give an indication of what is happening daily. Our numbers are slower to prepare because they have to be certified by a doctor, registered and processed. But once ready, they are the most comprehensive.
    If you don't like/trust what is being put on death certificates then don't even read the covid-19 deaths and instead just look at excess deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sorry to hear about that.
    No need to be. She was 88 and had no life. It was a blessing in some respects. Another auntie who died at 92 last year spent 5 years bed ridden. That’s no life it’s just a waiting room for death. In some ways we are glad the one who died of covid didn’t have to suffer the same fate.

No need to be. She was 88 and had no life. It was a blessing in some respects. Another auntie who died at 92 last year spent 5 years bed ridden. That’s no life it’s just a waiting room for death. In some ways we are glad the one who died of covid didn’t have to suffer the same fate.
    Not everyone who’s died of covid is like that though, I lost a 70 year old relative last week, no visitors while in hospital and none of us allowed at their funeral.

My mates dad died of it and he was 60 and only 4 of them can go to his funeral.

A lot more people died of it than ever needed to, look at the excess deaths compared to normal. And along with that it’s a pretty horrible and lonely way to go.

I think the attitude of people die anyway is pretty shortsighted tbh.

What would happen if your wish came true?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    What would happen if your wish came true?
    I don’t see how it makes a difference anyway, we’ve had a load more extra deaths than usual how does it matter if covid was the direct or indirect cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don’t see how it makes a difference anyway, we’ve had a load more extra deaths than usual how does it matter if covid was the direct or indirect cause?
    Do you know how many above the five year average?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Do you know how many above the five year average?
    Around 120% a day at its peak wasn’t it.

Your concerns are thankfully shared by just a small minority.

The rest of us are prepared to risk the UK economy falling to bits, joblessness numbers hitting and staying at ten million or more and surviving a subsistence living provided by government handouts in order to minimise deaths involving COVID-19.

You and those like you will simply have to adapt to greatly reduced expectations because the welfare of 0.1% of the population must always outweigh those of the rest.

International

It always bother me when people use a particular number of years to show and average. Being a suspicious bastard I always wonder if the didn't do longer because it would tend to disprove what they are trying to prove. Of course it is not always so. Similarly when they show graphs and the reverences are skewed to make the rise or fall seem greater or less again depending on what they are trying to prove.

It reminds me of the university who are always talking about global warming putting up information that was later proved to have been altered to rpove their argument. If a university will do it who else will? (University of East Anglia??)

Your concerns are thankfully shared by just a small minority.

The rest of us are prepared to risk the UK economy falling to bits, joblessness numbers hitting and staying at ten million or more and surviving a subsistence living provided by government handouts in order to minimise deaths involving COVID-19.

You and those like you will simply have to adapt to greatly reduced expectations because the welfare of 0.1% of the population must always outweigh those of the rest.
    We are all worried about that though, that’s why people who can’t work from home do need to get back to work. Shame the restrictions didn’t come in sooner and we wouldn’t have even had to push it this far.

If we hadn’t had the restrictions we’d had we would have had a load more deaths and the economy would have suffered a lot more. I don’t understand how you still don’t understand that.

My mother who is in her 80’s is far more concerned about the future of her grand children than what might happen or not happen to her, she’s had her life she says and wants things to be good for them. If I go I go.....as she often says

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It always bother me when people use a particular number of years to show and average. Being a suspicious bastard I always wonder if the didn't do longer because it would tend to disprove what they are trying to prove. Of course it is not always so. Similarly when they show graphs and the reverences are skewed to make the rise or fall seem greater or less again depending on what they are trying to prove.

It reminds me of the university who are always talking about global warming putting up information that was later proved to have been altered to rpove their argument. If a university will do it who else will? (University of East Anglia??)
    Disprove this then.

International

Disprove this then.
    I'm not saying it does or doesn't or if there has been any massaging, I just always feel skeptical of statistics, a bit like opinion polls, you can make them prove or disprove whatever you want, depending on how you use them. Why are you making it a challenge, being confrontational again? Can't you bear anyone questioning your superior intelligence again?

You are a waste of it aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'm not saying it does or doesn't or if there has been any massaging, I just always feel skeptical of statistics, a bit like opinion polls, you can make them prove or disprove whatever you want, depending on how you use them. Why are you making it a challenge, being confrontational again? Can't you bear anyone questioning your superior intelligence again?

You are a waste of it aren't you?
    How is that confrontational? I quoted the statistics and you said you didn’t always believe them, so I asked you a question.

How is that confrontational? I quoted the statistics and you said you didn’t always believe them, so I asked you a question.
    In a condescending confrontational tone

In a condescending confrontational tone
    Jesus you lot are sensitive

International

You didn't you said "Disprove this then." That's not a question it a demand - confrontational, and as usual you chose to ignore what my port was actually about which was that I have an innate skepticism about these things. I did not say the figures were wrong or manipulated.
    I said I tend to question them generally, not that I do not believe the ones in question here.
    and notice I haven't deliberately miswritten what you actually said, as you normally do.
    Waste!!