+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Illegal immigrants in the chanel

International

Re: Illegal immigrants in the chanel

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    They don’t realise. And also desperation
    I think they are fed a load of shite by the smugglers but they also hear stories coming back from ones who have gone before and believe them whether what they hear is really true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think they are fed a load of shite by the smugglers but they also hear stories coming back from ones who have gone before and believe them whether what they hear is really true or not.
    Possibly. I am originally Pakistani and some family members who live here (legally of course as they are professionals) brag/exaggerate about things here to relatives in Pakistan. Multiply that by many people and families doing that. And you get many people there thinking that the UK is a glorious place, the land of milk and honey where you magically become rich.

International

Possibly. I am originally Pakistani and some family members who live here (legally of course as they are professionals) brag/exaggerate about things here to relatives in Pakistan. Multiply that by many people and families doing that. And you get many people there thinking that the UK is a glorious place, the land of milk and honey where you magically become rich.
    That is the most honest and knowledgeble thing that's been said on the subject and i agree with you completely. My wife is from Azerbaijan and all the people from there brag to people and exaggerate in exactly the same way. They are almost certainly better off than those still there but not so well off as they tend to imply, and it causes jealousy and angst.

International

That is the most honest and knowledgeble thing that's been said on the subject and i agree with you completely. My wife is from Azerbaijan and all the people from there brag to people and exaggerate in exactly the same way. They are almost certainly better off than those still there but not so well off as they tend to imply, and it causes jealousy and angst.
    Part of the reason I smiled when Tuerto suggested I was being xenophobic.

Part of the reason I smiled when Tuerto suggested I was being xenophobic.

Pakistan has money now. Some people there act ‘new money’... but wanna be Western, act Western and sometimes go to the West for education. It’s weird

International

Pakistan has money now. Some people there act ‘new money’... but wanna be Western, act Western and sometimes go to the West for education. It’s weird
    Its about money and status in Azerbaijan. My wife's status went up a bout 1000~% when we got married just because she had an "English" husband. They considered it that she had a "way out". they couldn't get it that we chose to carry on livng there lol

France accepts WAY more asylum seekers than the UK. We talking double, triple the numbers

In fact out of the most populous and wealthy EU nations we comfortably accept the least.

So maybe that’s Why we don’t send them back immediately, we’ve got way more than enough capacity to deal with them. We’re talking a few hundred / a thousand a year here On boats, it’s really bugger all

The draw for the boat people is partly to do with the English language. Many of them speak English and not French, German or Italian. However, the Mayor of Calais has indicated that people want to come to the UK because of the generosity of our Benefits system and the only way to stop the migration is to either reduce Benefits here to everyone or give the migrants less. Ridiculous of course but that is what she thinks. Instinctively I would like to think those that arrive here by boat should stay on humanity grounds but that is not the answer as the more hospitable we become the more will be likely to arrive. We pay France £50m a year to Police their borders to stop departures from their shores but clearly they are not doing a very good job. Perhaps the French should allow us to do the job.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    France accepts WAY more asylum seekers than the UK. We talking double, triple the numbers

In fact out of the most populous and wealthy EU nations we comfortably accept the least.

So maybe that’s Why we don’t send them back immediately, we’ve got way more than enough capacity to deal with them. We’re talking a few hundred / a thousand a year here On boats, it’s really bugger all
    Just because we have space we should accept them? They are illegal. If you were rich and someone burgled your house would you say it's OK because you can afford it?
    If we don't accept people who come here legally and who try to follow the rules and comply with the requirements why should we accept people who do it illegally?

Just because we have space we should accept them? They are illegal. If you were rich and someone burgled your house would you say it's OK because you can afford it?
    If we don't accept people who come here legally and who try to follow the rules and comply with the requirements why should we accept people who do it illegally?
    Asylum seekers are illegal?

They're not illegal though - everyone has a right to asylum, even if you arrive seemingly illegally via a dinghy. And contrary to popular belief its not a stipulation that you must settle in the first safe country you arrive at.

If they aren't claiming asylum and just searching for work then they get bounced back pretty sharpish. Hell this government was almost bouncing back people whose parents arrived seemingly illegally in the 60s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-52605310

I really struggle to understand this. Why don't they take them back to France/Belgium and disembark them there? That is where the came from. Those countries have an obligation in international and European Law to either give them refugee status or return to where the came from. They should be processed at the point at which they enter the EU.

And why is it they all want to come to UK? Whats wrong with Spain or France or Italy or Belgium or Greece?
    What's wrong with them coming to the UK?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What's wrong with them coming to the UK?
    You think we should let in anyone and everyone that wants to come?
    It would save a fortune on border force salaries I suppose.
    Lets just let anyone and everyone come - - except the ones who apply in the right manner and the Government decides they don't like them or the person sponsoring them earns £1000 a year less than the required minimum for entry. Seems like a fair plan doesn't it ?

You think we should let in anyone and everyone that wants to come?
    It would save a fortune on border force salaries I suppose.
    Lets just let anyone and everyone come - - except the ones who apply in the right manner and the Government decides they don't like them or the person sponsoring them earns £1000 a year less than the required minimum for entry. Seems like a fair plan doesn't it ?
    I didn't say let everyone in, I said what's wrong with them coming to the uk?

Net migration to the UK both illegal and legal is miniscule I can't understand why everyone gets so annoyed by it. And I don't understand why anyone would get annoyed at a boat of desperate asylum seekers trying to find a safer or better life.

International

Net migration to the UK both illegal and legal is miniscule I can't understand why everyone gets so annoyed by it. And I don't understand why anyone would get annoyed at a boat of desperate asylum seekers trying to find a safer or better life.
    so we should just let anyone in who wants to come, is that what you're saying?

Nope

I think hes saying that the outrage isn't proportionate to the problem.

Well, if they are fleeing persecution, war or famine then yes, absolutely

International

Nope
    so how do you regulate them? If they go thruogh the current immigration procedure none of the illegals would comply with the requirements so no change.
    How would you decide who stays and who goes?

so how do you regulate them? If they go thruogh the current immigration procedure none of the illegals would comply with the requirements so no change.
    I think you need to be a bit clearer about whether you're talking about illegal immigrants or asylum seekers, as there's a lot of crossed wires here.

I'd regulate them with the current method that works just fine.

It's 17 people on a boat seeking asylum, I don't see the big deal.

Illegals don't go through immigration procedure. If they did, they wouldn't be illegal.

What gets me about the OP is it's all based on "facts" that have been misrepresented by the media, this hopefully clears thingsup

The vast majority of refugees – 4 out of 5 – stay in their region of displacement, and consequently are hosted by developing countries. Turkey now hosts the highest number of refugees with 3.7 million, followed by Pakistan with 1.4 million.

The UK offered protection – in the form of grants of asylum, alternative forms of protection and resettlement – to 18,519 people in the year June 2018 - June 2019 (up 29% compared with the previous year). Of these, 25% (or 4,563) were children.

According to UNHCR statistics, in 2018 there were 126,720 refugees, 45,244​ pending asylum cases and 125 stateless persons in the UK.

The majority of asylum-seekers do not have the right to work in the United Kingdom and so must rely on state support.

Housing is provided, but asylum-seekers cannot choose where it is, and it is often ‘hard to let’ properties which Council tenants do not want to live in.

Cash support is available, and is currently set at £37.75 per person, per week, which makes it £5.39 a day for food, sanitation and clothing.

Resettlement is the transfer of refugees from a country where they have initially sought asylum - often in the same region as their country of origin - to a third state which has agreed to admit them.In the year ending June 2019, 5,691 people were resettled in the UK, (roughly the same number as the previous year), including 4,200 under the VPRS and 742 under the VCRS.
    So again why is it such a big issue?