+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Johnson - Secret Plaid Cymru Agent?

Johnson - Secret Plaid Cymru Agent?

He did more to further the cause of Welsh Independence yesterday than they've managed in 25 years

Re: Johnson - Secret Plaid Cymru Agent?

Blimey.imagine if England spikes up again and Wales doesn't.

Welsh testing rates only higher than Scotland in UK - doubt Sturgeon gets criticised for that.

More new cases percentage wise than England.

Drakeford playing a blinder...

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Welsh testing rates only higher than Scotland in UK - doubt Sturgeon gets criticised for that.

Even more reasons to vote Plaid!

International

Adam Price was on the welsh news last night saying that what Boris Johnson and the Westminster government said was irrelevant because the lockdown and the lifting or not of it was a matter for the devolved administration in Wales and nothing to do with Westminster.
    In his next breath he was complaining that the lockdown had started much too late and blamed Westminster, completely ignoring his own statement seconds earlier that the lockdown was a matter for the devolved administration in Wales and nothing to do with Westminster.
    You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Blimey.imagine if England spikes up again and Wales doesn't.
    What if Wales spikes again and England doesn’t?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Adam Price was on the welsh news last night saying that what Boris Johnson and the Westminster government said was irrelevant because the lockdown and the lifting or not of it was a matter for the devolved administration in Wales and nothing to do with Westminster.
    In his next breath he was complaining that the lockdown had started much too late and blamed Westminster, completely ignoring his own statement seconds earlier that the lockdown was a matter for the devolved administration in Wales and nothing to do with Westminster.
    You can't have it both ways.
    That’s the most sensible post you’ve ever made!

The Welsh Government only had powers over lockdown once Westminster had passed the Coronavirus Act, which gave the devloved bodies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland control over what happened in their respective countries. The earlier that act had been passed in London the earlier the Welsh Government could make its own rules, before then they had no legal right to do anything re Covid. FWIW I don’t think any politicians are covering themselves in glory, be it from poor decisions or petty points scoring. I can’t see this crisis restoring the public’s faith in politics.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    The Welsh Government only had powers over lockdown once Westminster had passed the Coronavirus Act, which gave the devloved bodies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland control over what happened in their respective countries. The earlier that act had been passed in London the earlier the Welsh Government could make its own rules, before then they had no legal right to do anything re Covid. FWIW I don’t think any politicians are covering themselves in glory, be it from poor decisions or petty points scoring. I can’t see this crisis restoring the public’s faith in politics.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post

Yes Scotland and Wales has high R ratings??

I think Boris knows Wales will never change its political sheep following.

Sturgeon is clever with her sound bite , and masks her NHS problems that existed well before Covid as it was in Wales.

I think this is making the UK nations drift apart. Wales, Scotland and less commonly N.I governments often see laws and decisions different to Westminster and are often the first to bring in more radical/forward thinking laws, this may possiblybe due to the chronic underinvestment in the smaller nations meaning they have to think outside of the box and put laws into place as funding/investment is missing.

People will naturally feel closer aligned to the Welsh Parliament/being Welsh after this, especially if (highly likely) England has a large rise in cases, which will help Plaid Cymru in their cause for election next year and potentially in the fight for further devolution/independence.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes Scotland and Wales has high R ratings??

I think Boris knows Wales will never change its political sheep following.

Sturgeon is clever with her sound bite , and masks her NHS problems that existed well before Covid as it was in Wales.
    So, are you saying our R rating is high in Wales or not? You start a sentence with "Yes", making it sound like you are saying something factual and then end it with a succession of question marks! For me, the reaction of the Scottish and Welsh Governments compared to the UK one suggests the R rating may be higher than in England, but I'd much rather see them erring on the side of caution than the approach for England (apparently, a Tory MP compared the UK response to the virus to the Charge of the Light Brigade in Parliament yesterday), but I would be concerned if I lived in England because the UK Government response pays little heed to the fact that there must, surely, be wide regional fluctuations in the R rating in England.

Also, isn't it terrible how Nicola Sturgeon insists on being "clever" and how Kier Starmer runs rings around the Prime Minister in Parliament with his Barrister's attention to detail and mastery of his brief? Clever politicians, whatever next, still neither of them are a patch on Boris when it comes to the knockabout stuff are they!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, are you saying our R rating is high in Wales or not? You start a sentence with "Yes", making it sound like you are saying something factual and then end it with a succession of question marks! For me, the reaction of the Scottish and Welsh Governments compared to the UK one suggests the R rating may be higher than in England, but I'd much rather see them erring on the side of caution than the approach for England (apparently, a Tory MP compared the UK response to the virus to the Charge of the Light Brigade in Parliament yesterday), but I would be concerned if I lived in England because the UK Government response pays little heed to the fact that there must, surely, be wide regional fluctuations in the R rating in England.

Also, isn't it terrible how Nicola Sturgeon insists on being "clever" and how Kier Starmer runs rings around the Prime Minister in Parliament with his Barrister's attention to detail and mastery of his brief? Clever politicians, whatever next, still neither of them are a patch on Boris when it comes to the knockabout stuff are they!

Yes, there are wide variations in the R rate in England. There is widespread criticism of Boris's allowing of unrestricted travel distances for leisure here in England. Whereas the media enjoy causing animosity between Wales and England's differing responses to the outbreak, English tourism boards such as Cumbria have been worried about the effect that widespread travel would have on the Lake District with thousands descending into rural areas with no resources to deal with them. The same worries exist in the South West and other holiday areas.
    Boris could have avoided all this with a distance limit - local or no more than 20 miles from home or whatever. He could have completely avoided the Anglo-Welsh animosity with half a sentence, adding that people from England were not allowed to cross the border into Wales or Scotland for leisure. Crass or deliberate?

How unfair of them not to answer each question with "Well erm yes, well when erm Prometheus brought waffle to erm parliament"

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    Yes, there are wide variations in the R rate in England. There is widespread criticism of Boris's allowing of unrestricted travel distances for leisure here in England. Whereas the media enjoy causing animosity between Wales and England's differing responses to the outbreak, English tourism boards such as Cumbria have been worried about the effect that widespread travel would have on the Lake District with thousands descending into rural areas with no resources to deal with them. The same worries exist in the South West and other holiday areas.
    Boris could have avoided all this with a distance limit - local or no more than 20 miles from home or whatever. He could have completely avoided the Anglo-Welsh animosity with half a sentence, adding that people from England were not allowed to cross the border into Wales or Scotland for leisure. Crass or deliberate?
    Its both. When asked by Plaid MP Saville Roberts to confirm that Johnson was acting as PM of England, he refused stating "No, I reject that completely... its perfectly good advice for the entire population" before saying it was important to bring R down "locally, regionally and nationally". He's shown a complete lack of respect to the devolved parliaments with that statement, lied (He is acting as PM of England for most of this) and implied that Wales and Scotland are just "regions". He's a dangerous buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its both. When asked by Plaid MP Saville Roberts to confirm that Johnson was acting as PM of England, he refused stating "No, I reject that completely... its perfectly good advice for the entire population" before saying it was important to bring R down "locally, regionally and nationally". He's shown a complete lack of respect to the devolved parliaments with that statement, lied (He is acting as PM of England for most of this) and implied that Wales and Scotland are just "regions". He's a dangerous buffoon.
    It wasn't until the MP for Brecon and Radnor specifically pushed him on this that he, almost reluctantly, agreed that travel to Wales from England was not desirable. He was not emphatic and has had plenty of time since to utter a simple single sentence statement- do not travel into Wales for leisure purposes. Is he pandering to the Tory right and unionists who don't believe in any devolution of powers from London and trying not to upset little Englanders by restricting them from travelling anywhere in 'their country' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    It wasn't until the MP for Brecon and Radnor specifically pushed him on this that he, almost reluctantly, agreed that travel to Wales from England was not desirable. He was not emphatic and has had plenty of time since to utter a simple single sentence statement- do not travel into Wales for leisure purposes. Is he pandering to the Tory right and unionists who don't believe in any devolution of powers from London and trying not to upset little Englanders by restricting them from travelling anywhere in 'their country' ?
    Yes, in fact he's probably in agreement with them

I'm not sure about Wales hence the?

Its reported that Scotland's R is close to one .

I'd rather Starmer and Sturgeon produce a better plan than Boris not just pick holes in the Governments decisions , show us what they would do to get this under control and people back to work as both have to happen , Its all electionering though.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'm not sure about Wales hence the?

Its reported that Scotland's R is close to one .

I'd rather Starmer and Sturgeon produce a better plan than Boris not just pick holes in the Governments decisions , show us what they would do to get this under control and people back to work as both have to happen , Its all electionering though.
    Well, simply by not adopting the "stay alert" rubbish, Sturgeon is producing a better plan than Johnson.