+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So who’s watching the Bundesliga this weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: So who’s watching the Bundesliga this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Yes, looking forward to it. I like Hertha anyway so will back them, although - as the article says, they do have a West Ham-like feel of perpetual under-achievement and near-disaster about them. It's the first top level Berlin derby at the Olympia Stadion a week on Sunday - so will watch that (I had tickets for the original match). Can't imagine what it will be like without fans though.

Leipzig obviously the team for those City fans who were comfortable with our very own rebrand.
    I used to watch them playing the Olympia Stadion and there were regular crowds of (I think) 50,000 there, and that was when it was West Berlin. Then they got thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. Since then they have never really regained their former glory.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I used to watch them playing the Olympia Stadion and there were regular crowds of (I think) 50,000 there, and that was when it was West Berlin. Then they got thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. Since then they have never really regained their former glory.
    When were you watching them? What era?

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When were you watching them? What era?
    Early 70s

Early 70s
    Your memory's playing tricks on you. Hertha weren't thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. They got relegated (on goal difference) in 1980.

I've been to Berlin several times in recent years and have managed to watch Hertha play on every occasion. I also managed to see Tennis Borussia Berlin once. They were a Bundesliga side back in the Seventies but now play in the fifth tier.

International

Your memory's playing tricks on you. Hertha weren't thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. They got relegated (on goal difference) in 1980.

I've been to Berlin several times in recent years and have managed to watch Hertha play on every occasion. I also managed to see Tennis Borussia Berlin once. They were a Bundesliga side back in the Seventies but now play in the fifth tier.
    Sorry they were relegated for bribing or attempting to in 64/65, the incident in the 70's was when their goalkeeper arranged for them to lose a game they should have won. He was thrown out but they weren't but were relegated later anyway and were in relative doldrums for many years.
    Still fun to watch them in that old stadium though, hadn't changed since the 36 Olympics. We used to play murder ball in the Olympic swimming pool lol

Sorry they were relegated for bribing or attempting to in 64/65, the incident in the 70's was when their goalkeeper arranged for them to lose a game they should have won. He was thrown out but they weren't but were relegated later anyway and were in relative doldrums for many years.
    Still fun to watch them in that old stadium though, hadn't changed since the 36 Olympics. We used to play murder ball in the Olympic swimming pool lol
    The swimming pool was back in use as a public pool last time I was there, which I think was last April against Augsburg. Was remarkable to see, having seen it so many times as a museum piece over the years.

Incidentally, regarding your earlier post, Hertha's recent average home attendance is just short of 50000.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    The swimming pool was back in use as a public pool last time I was there, which I think was last April against Augsburg. Was remarkable to see, having seen it so many times as a museum piece over the years.

Incidentally, regarding your earlier post, Hertha's recent average home attendance is just short of 50000.
    The swimming pools, 3 of them were in the Olympic Games complex behind the stadium which was the cold war British Headquarters, so the Berlin public never had access to them until after the wall came down. (The third pool was actually for families and was so during the Olympics for families of the people working on the games.

Hertha were thrown out in the 60s, and it led to the lowest points total in Bundesliga history as they're replacement were utter shite