+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assorted Football Quiz Questions 12

Re: Assorted Football Quiz Questions 12

Here is a summary of the answers to the quiz.

1. In 1967 Bolton Wanderers broke their transfer record to buy which Cardiff City player ?

Gareth Williams. This fact has now prompted another question in my mind. Which clubs have broken their transfer records to buy a Cardiff City player ? I don’t know the answer but any suggestions welcome !

2. In 1976 which defender did we sign from Crewe Alexandra only for the transfer to be cancelled when his wife categorically refused to move to Cardiff ?

Phil Nicholls. Well, perhaps Mrs Nicholls did us a favour. Instead of Cardiff, Mrs Nicholls must have determined that lovely Bradford City was a better bet than us. However, 34 League games later his League career fizzled out and he joined Kidderminster Harriers where his achievements, if any, do not appear to be recorded in cyberspace.

3. Villa ——> Forest — —> Leicester — —> WBA — —> Cardiff 2006

Ricardo Scimeca. A good player I thought. Pity has was plagued by injury so much.

4. Name the only Welsh speaking Cardiff City Manager.

Trevor Morris. This is a fact that was gleaned from Richard Shepherd. Trevor Morris was from Carmarthenshire and, as it turns out from this quiz, was related to an esteemed poster on this board. He had an unfortunate playing career in that he made his league debut and only league game , for Ipswich, on the last Saturday of the 38/39 season and his playing career came to an end after he broke his leg playing for us in a wartime game. His distinguished wartime service as a bomber pilot earned him the DFC.

5. On 17th Feb 2020 who was appointed “Managerial Consultant” at Stevenage ?

Russell Slade. He was appointed to this position by his one time player Alex Revell who is now their manager and also has former City player Ben Nugent under his wing as well.

6. Omit Weeping Deer (anag.)

Peter Odemwinigie.

7. Which player started his career with a team called Joe Public, played in an FA Cup Final and finished his City career on loan at a club that sounds like a TV channel ?

Kenwyne Jones. Started with Joe Public in Trinidad. Played in the 2011 FA Cup Final for Stoke. No doubt we all remember that we were very keen to offload his £35k(?) per week wages which we did for a spell at Bournemouth who he helped to promotion to the PL and then Al Jazira in the UAE. KJ was a “what if” player. What if he had application and a sense of urgency and commitment. Well, if he had, he wouldn’t have been playing for us.

8. Name the last former Cardiff City player to manage Newport County

Warren Feeney. A Northern Ireland international as was his father and grandfather. Never looked like an international player in a City shirt. We lent him to the Jacks where he did something that he failed to do for us - score !

9. One of his 489 career goals memorably and sadly came at Ninian Park against the City and another came memorably and sadly ( or not dependent upon your point of view) against England - who is he ?

Uwe Seeler - some player. On 1 May 1968 he scored the second equalising goal for SV Hamburg at Ninian Park before, heartbreakingly, the other other Bob Wilson let a last minute shot creep under his body. On 14 June 1970 in Leon, Seeler again scored an equalising goal for the famous 3-2 win against England, a game in which the other other Peter Bonetti made a mess of a Franz Beckenbauer shot.

10. Which Cardiff City manager was nicknamed “Zico” during his playing career ?

Phil Neal. NIcknamed “Zico” at Liverpool. Quite what the comparison was between a free scoring Brazilian attacking midfield player and a Liverpool full back I’m not entirely sure but I will say that Phil Neal’s goal scoring record was pretty good for a full back. That’s enough compliments, after all he did walk out on us.

11. Camp Chair (cryptic)

Credit to TOBW here as I pinched the idea for a cryptic player question from him. Camp - David, ( as in US President summer retreat), Chair - Carver - David Carver

12. What is the link between the 1927 FA Cup Final and Elvis Presley ?

The 1927 Arsenal FA Cup final team is not particularly famous compered to the glory days of the 1930’s. The unfortunate goalkeeper, Welshman, the other other Dan Lewis is well known as a result of his error, Welshman Bob John I had heard of and, of course, Charles Buchan, he of Football Monthly fame was captain. Looking at the other names in the team I noticed that one of their full backs was Tom Parker, and of course “Colonel” Tom Parker was Elvis Presley’s manager. BIngo - a question.

13. Which former Cardiff City player signed for Benfica in the 1990s ?

Dean Saunders played 3 games on loan for us in the 84/85 season. In 1998/99 season Benfica manager Graham Souness recruited Michael Thomas, Mark Pembridge, Gary Charles, Steve Harkness and Dean Saunders. Like Graham Souness, they didn’t last long. At the end of the season Souness was gone and Saunders found himself playing for Bradford City. Doesn’t have the same ring to it as Benfica.

14. Which Cardiff City manager was a submariner ?

Jimmy Scoular - a submarine engineer during his national service.

15. What is the connection between the Battle of Jutland and City player of the 1993/94 season ?

On loan from Sheffield United , John Cornwell played 6 times for us in 1993/94. At the Battle of Jutland 1916 John Cornwell, at the age of 16, won the VC posthumously. The youngest ever recipient of the highest award in the British Honours system.

Thanks again for doing these. Always good.

Yes many thanks - great quiz. Being pedantic, Seeler's goal against us (question 9) was not an equaliser - it put them 2-1 ahead before Brian Harris equalised for us.

4. Name the only Welsh speaking Cardiff City Manager.

Trevor Morris. This is a fact that was gleaned from Richard Shepherd. Trevor Morris was from Carmarthenshire and, as it turns out from this quiz, was related to an esteemed poster on this board. He had an unfortunate playing career in that he made his league debut and only league game , for Ipswich, on the last Saturday of the 38/39 season and his playing career came to an end after he broke his leg playing for us in a wartime game. His distinguished wartime service as a bomber pilot earned him the DFC.

Thanks Enoch. He was a good man and never spoke about the DFC. He managed the City and took Swansea Town to an FA Cup semi-final vs Preston at Villa Park which they narrowly lost and then went on to manage Newport before becoming Secretary of the Welsh FA.

On the plus side he gave me loads of shirts and memorabilia whenever we met up. On the less positive side he was a key decision maker in having the Wales vs Scotland qualifier played at Anfield when Ninian Park had a massively reduced capacity on safety grounds. He did get me a coachload of free tickets. Me and two mates had tickets in the stand and the rest of the coach in the Kop. I wasn't flavour of the month as the only unbruised person on the coach trip back to Wales!