+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kenny Sansom.

Kenny Sansom.

In Hospital and in a bad way apparently. Alcohol related, only 61. I've been listening to a few podcasts lately, footballers at all levels of the Professional game and there does seem to be a bit of a theme with Alcohol addiction destroying their lives and those around them. Very sad and an awful addiction for anyone that encounters it.

Re: Kenny Sansom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In Hospital and in a bad way apparently. Alcohol related, only 61. I've been listening to a few podcasts lately, footballers at all levels of the Professional game and there does seem to be a bit of a theme with Alcohol addiction destroying their lives and those around them. Very sad and an awful addiction for anyone that encounters it.
    Good solid player in his day.
    Seems more a UK thing. Don't here about many foreign players succumbing to Alcohol or gambling.
    Maybe they do, but we don't here about it much.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Seems more a UK thing. Don't here about many foreign players succumbing to Alcohol or gambling.
    He had over 80 England Caps, must've been decent. Seems like a cultural thing, certainly from about 40 upwards. Back then drinking was encouraged and players going on the piss was normal. Oddly enough, Brazil seems to have the odd issue with players boozing and taking drugs, Germany doesn't seem to have the problems we have and i think that they put more Alcohol away than we do.

He's had plenty of struggles since retiring and there have been times when it's looked like he wouldn't reach the age he is now.

As for how good he was as a player, I'd rate Ashley Cole as better than him, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He's had plenty of struggles since retiring and there have been times when it's looked like he wouldn't reach the age he is now.

As for how good he was as a player, I'd rate Ashley Cole as better than him, but not by much.
    I was quite young when he was at his best so didn't really get to see much of him. On another note, a player that i thought was absolutely brilliant was Peter Beardsley, vision, touch, pace and could score, yet he doesn't seem to be mentioned much when fans a pundits look back. Was i looking through youthful eyes or was he as good as i think he was?

I was quite young when he was at his best so didn't really get to see much of him. On another note, a player that i thought was absolutely brilliant was Peter Beardsley, vision, touch, pace and could score, yet he doesn't seem to be mentioned much when fans a pundits look back. Was i looking through youthful eyes or was he as good as i think he was?
    I was a big Beardsley fan, so maybe I'm biased, but I thought he should have won more England caps than he did.

International

I recall a story circulating about his time at Liverpool. apparently when wage rises were being determined and the players were going in to see the manager, his wife turned up and said basically, "I'm negotiating for Peter." She was a bit of a tyrant allegedly and she went in the office demanded what she wanted (not him) and they gave it to her just to get rid of the woman lol

I thought he was brilliant. As you mention, vision, touch, pace and scored goals. And went about with a cool head. A quiet bloke from the same mould as Peter Wittingham. Probably didn't fit in with the likes of Bryan Robson etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I thought he was brilliant. As you mention, vision, touch, pace and scored goals. And went about with a cool head. A quiet bloke from the same mould as Peter Wittingham. Probably didn't fit in with the likes of Bryan Robson etc.
    He had such quick feet, a really natural footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Beardsley was maybe not so quiet when in his coaching role at Newcastle, banned from football for racially abusing youngsters in his care. Hasn’t done himself any favours.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Beardsley was maybe not so quiet when in his coaching role at Newcastle, banned from football for racially abusing youngsters in his care. Hasn’t done himself any favours.
    The inference was he was only quiet with his missus, or else!!! lol
    But you never know the truth of these things

Re the OP, Sansom was automatic choice for England and the best English LB for a long time.
    Boozing was what all most footballers seemed to do before charlie became fashionable.
    As has been mentioned, KS seemed to have problems ever since retirement.

Re the other fella, I seem to remember seeing Beardsley play against us at Ninian Park of an evening and was a class above.
    He scored at least one and we got beat something like 3 or 4 nil. Was it Newcastle? It was before he hit the big time with Liverpool and England.
    Not sure if I dreamt this so don't know if anyone else remember.

What I do know for sure is that Beardsley on his day was unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Gerd Muller, Socrates, Garrincha, Maradona, Van de Meyde which was recent.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Re the OP, Sansom was automatic choice for England and the best English LB for a long time.
    Boozing was what all most footballers seemed to do before charlie became fashionable.

Re the other fella, I seem to remember seeing Beardsley play against us at Ninian Park of an evening and was a class above.
    He scored at least one and we got beat something like 3 or 4 nil. Was it Newcastle? It was before he hit the big time with Liverpool and England.

He scored his first Newcastle goal against us at Ninian Park. 13 October 1983. We lost 2-0. Beardsley and Keegan the scorers. Not a bad second tier partnership....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He scored his first Newcastle goal against us at Ninian Park. 13 October 1983. We lost 2-0. Beardsley and Keegan the scorers. Not a bad second tier partnership....
    Chris Waddle was in that side as well.

I can remember Beardsley coming down here with an awful Hartlepool side that we easily beat 4-1 - he was anonymous and it was definitely a case of a great player hanging on too long before retiring.

First Team

Samson , at his peak, was some player and arguably world class. West Brom had Derek Statham who in any other era would have collected a bag full of international caps but he hardly got a look in because of Samson.
    To see such a talented athlete end up like this is always sad and hopefully he can turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ah right thanks for that, I didn't imagine it then

As you say, that is some strike partnership.
    Keegan would have been at the top of his game then, all "Bullworker'd up".

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

think it was hartlepool he was here with towards the end of his career might be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I recall a story circulating about his time at Liverpool. apparently when wage rises were being determined and the players were going in to see the manager, his wife turned up and said basically, "I'm negotiating for Peter." She was a bit of a tyrant allegedly and she went in the office demanded what she wanted (not him) and they gave it to her just to get rid of the woman lol
    She is awful to him

https://youtu.be/mqwLFGMHiy4

She is a Tyrant if she don’t get her poachies...The Fooking Doyle!

Talking Re: Kenny Sansom.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    She is a Tyrant if she don’t get her poachies...The Fooking Doyle!