+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I go back a long time and I have seen racist abuse at ninian park , the cardiff city stadium and away games and have reported it , including a cardiff city fan doing a nazi salute

When I spoke to people from ethnic minorities who were invited to the cardiff city stadium when it opened for a supporters trust and club event many spoke about the racism they had experienced and when I asked a group of somali lads why they only went occasionally to cardiff city games they said they felt uncomfortable and uneasy

They said they loved football , as did their mates

Which does not of course mean that black and asian people are hung at cardiff city matches but given that black and asian kids love football you have to ask the question that given cardiff is very multi racial city why do you see so few black and asian fans at cardiff city ?

Very few local kids from ethnic minorities end up playing for cardiff city yet cardiff rugby has been well represented over the years from black and mixed race players and black rugby players from cardiff have represented bridgend and llanelli

I think the idea that cardiff is some kind of multi racial beacon in sporting and social terms simply isnt true and is perpetuated mostly by the city's white population

In the book goliath the author suggests a denial of racism is part of cardiffs history

Now we do not have in our capital city gangs of black and white youths knifing each other in the street but racism exists in cardiff, no doubt about it , and it always has
    You keep saying this as if you have any proof but your own anecdotes. Wales is a majority white country, the last census had it at 97%. Yes Cardiff is more diverse, but still majority white. So you take on average 24k ish fans who come down every week who are coming from all over the Valleys (which again, are predominately white) and you're surprised you don't see many black or asian people? Are you personally on the look out for them and tallying them every week?

I'm not good enough at maths to break all the numbers down to give you a rough estimate of how many minorities you should expect to see at Cardiff games, but given the demographics of this country why are you surprised?

Very few local kids end up playing for Cardiff end of. Ironically the last good prospect we had was Rabbi and guess what race he is?

You have a very strange obsession with race, the way you talk about minorities is baffling

I go back a long time and I have seen racist abuse at ninian park , the cardiff city stadium and away games and have reported it , including a cardiff city fan doing a nazi salute

When I spoke to people from ethnic minorities who were invited to the cardiff city stadium when it opened for a supporters trust and club event many spoke about the racism they had experienced and when I asked a group of somali lads why they only went occasionally to cardiff city games they said they felt uncomfortable and uneasy

They said they loved football , as did their mates

Which does not of course mean that black and asian people are hung at cardiff city matches but given that black and asian kids love football you have to ask the question that given cardiff is very multi racial city why do you see so few black and asian fans at cardiff city ?

Very few local kids from ethnic minorities end up playing for cardiff city yet cardiff rugby has been well represented over the years from black and mixed race players and black rugby players from cardiff have represented bridgend and llanelli

I think the idea that cardiff is some kind of multi racial beacon in sporting and social terms simply isnt true and is perpetuated mostly by the city's white population

In the book goliath the author suggests a denial of racism is part of cardiffs history

Now we do not have in our capital city gangs of black and white youths knifing each other in the street but racism exists in cardiff, no doubt about it , and it always has
    Not the Cardiff I know.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not the Cardiff I know.
    he's had about 5 different people who have grown up in this city tell him he's wrong but he'll never accept it

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Greenbank, Bishopston & Ashley Hill for me. You were there at the time of the St.Paul's riot, same as me. The Tropic was in Stokes Croft, not far from the junction of City Rd & Cheltenham Rd
    I was in Stokes croft late last summer, still a bar in the place you describe, had a steel band playing under the " shelter " we stopped for a beer

I have to disagree , the alt right have always been there and people who protest against racism are not to blame for people behaving in a racist way

I hope to see the end of racism, I certainly dont hope to see it happening

There are racial tensions in our back yard , the somali community in cardiff has experienced racism for many many years
    I think that anybody of sane mind would love to see the end of racism (in all of its forms) and would probably embrace things to bring that about. I agree with you in not seeing an end to it particularly when well meaning liberals can’t see the wood through the trees in such matters.

To even think about comparing the Somali community in Cardiff to Black America is ludicrous.

I will continue trying to get my head around the complexities and emotions of it all and will continue listening to the likes of Thomas Sowell and Shelby Steele as well as Black Friends of mine who are genuinely fearful of the Police.

Man who referred to black people as “piccaninnies... with water melon smiles.” wades into the issue by insisting people are betraying their cause.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52960756

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Man who referred to black people as “piccaninnies... with water melon smiles.” wades into the issue by insisting people are betraying their cause.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52960756
    Well they are, though I doubt those that cause most of the trouble really have the capacity to reflect on this.

I'm personally annoyed that the protests are allowed to happen in the current circumstances and disgusted but not surprised by those that have turned them violent or vandalised property.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Well they are, though I doubt those that cause most of the trouble really have the capacity to reflect on this.

I'm personally annoyed that the protests are allowed to happen in the current circumstances and disgusted but not surprised by those that have turned them violent or vandalised property.
    Putting aside the current circumstances, I’m assuming the protestors are raging against what they see as institutionalised and systemic racism in society? The fact that our current PM seems to illustrate their points precisely and you wonder why all that anger is generated?

Did BoJo comment on violence at the Yaxley Lennon demonstrations back in November?

I’m not sure he did?

I have to disagree , the alt right have always been there and people who protest against racism are not to blame for people behaving in a racist way

I hope to see the end of racism, I certainly dont hope to see it happening

There are racial tensions in our back yard , the somali community in cardiff has experienced racism for many many years
    You said you were vacating the thread about 5 pages ago, but you are still posting your nonsense.

Putting aside the current circumstances, I’m assuming the protestors are raging against what they see as institutionalised and systemic racism in society? The fact that our current PM seems to illustrate their points precisely and you wonder why all that anger is generated?

Did BoJo comment on violence at the Yaxley Lennon demonstrations back in November?

I’m not sure he did?

No I will argue that as like me as you are white you can be disgusted to hear racist abuse or read about it and you cannot understand why it still takes place and you can try and fight it and report racist abuse if you hear it down the match and you can be a decent person and do what you did and write to that black athlete and apologise for the idiotic and ignorant racists but we cannot ever understand what black people go through when they are racially abused .
    Don't be so ridiculous. Like all forms of abuse the reactions and feelings it creates will vary from person to person. The idea that some whitey couldn't possible understand just furthers any divide that already exists. There will always be arseholes saying horrible things but what we need to focus on is removing any tangible discriminatory barriers that any minority group faces. This will include shaming those who verbally abuse but it is far from the most important thing imo.

I don’t think it’s whites people can’t comprehend how much of your life gets taken over by racism and how often you have to consider your actions based on your colour.

I’m not sure he did?
    Well that's alright then, boris didn't tweet about one protest that turned violent so that makes this one ok.

Probably quite difficult for him to put current circumstances aside at the moment.

Other than comments there is no visible objection to the protests by anyone in power or the police on the day. Thugs attaching themselves to any cause for a bit of aggro is a shame.

The idea of people becoming angry and attacking our police force for something that happened thousands of miles away is ridiculous. Just thugs.

Well that's alright then, boris didn't tweet about one protest that turned violent so that makes this one ok.

Probably quite difficult for him to put current circumstances aside at the moment.

Other than comments there is no visible objection to the protests by anyone in power or the police on the day. Thugs attaching themselves to any cause for a bit of aggro is a shame.

The idea of people becoming angry and attacking our police force for something that happened thousands of miles away is ridiculous. Just thugs.
    I tend to agree. George Floyd's death may have released pent up grievances here but they look maladroit given the situation in the country.

It has bizarrely given the likes of Johnson and Patel the opportunity to deflect responsibility for their own mismanagement and play some populist tunes. The culpability they rightly had for any public behaviours stemming from Cummings can now be projected onto the protests which can also be scapegoated for any inflammation in the virus rather than the relaxation measures that have recently been hastily introduced.

This is an interesting article: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/06/h...ess/index.html

It reminds me how children are not born racist - what they become depends on their parents. I vividly remember a day when I was tracing my family history and I had to visit a library in Brixton in south London (long story!) and there was an infant school nearby. Two teachers were taking a class of little ones somewhere and they were walking along the pavement in pairs, girls, boys, black and white all mixed together hand-in-hand. It was a truly heart-warming sight, one which I will always remember. If only the world could be like that!

The fact Boris didn’t comment about Yaxley Lennon demonstrations sort of supports the point that the system is inherently racist and that racism is somewhat tolerated, especially as he’s got a comment to say about yesterday’s events. I’m cynical here and will add the hobbit was supporting Boris and Brexit at the time.

I acknowledge your point on him having difficulty putting the current circumstances aside as he’s managed to totally **** up the response and effectively waffled and blundered his way through it. He’ll be able to sleep at night though so don’t worry to much about Boris.

No protests should end in violence we both agree on that. In regards to people protesting about something that happened thousands of miles away? I think you’re missing the point, whether intentionally or through naivety? I think the death of Floyd is symbolic to the majority of protestors about how they view society. I’ll add I suppose you think campaigning against apartheid in South Africa was a waste of energy during the 60s/70s/80s and 90s?

The fact Boris didn’t comment about Yaxley Lennon demonstrations sort of supports the point that the system is inherently racist and that racism is somewhat tolerated, especially as he’s got a comment to say about yesterday’s events. I’m cynical here and will add the hobbit was supporting Boris and Brexit at the time.

I acknowledge your point on him having difficulty putting the current circumstances aside as he’s managed to totally **** up the response and effectively waffled and blundered his way through it. He’ll be able to sleep at night though so don’t worry to much about Boris.

No protests should end in violence we both agree on that. In regards to people protesting about something that happened thousands of miles away? I think you’re missing the point, whether intentionally or through naivety? I think the death of Floyd is symbolic to the majority of protestors about how they view society. I’ll add I suppose you think campaigning against apartheid in South Africa was a waste of energy during the 60s/70s/80s and 90s?
    No point missed.

I'm against the protests at the moment just because of the virus situation and the fact we have all been in lockdown since March. Protest in other ways, protest when it's safer to do so by all means.

It's those that turn these into battles with the police I'm against, it's pointless shouting abuse and hurling objects at the UK police for something that they had no part in.

Its not a waste of energy to protest about something that happened elsewhere that you feel strongly about, just not now for me and certainly it doesn't have to be in any way violent, achieves nothing.

Heisenberg

No point missed.

I'm against the protests at the moment just because of the virus situation and the fact we have all been in lockdown since March. Protest in other ways, protest when it's safer to do so by all means.

It's those that turn these into battles with the police I'm against, it's pointless shouting abuse and hurling objects at the UK police for something that they had no part in.

Its not a waste of energy to protest about something that happened elsewhere that you feel strongly about, just not now for me and certainly it doesn't have to be in any way violent, achieves nothing.
    It's about to get worse by the sounds of it. Tommy Robinson has made a "call to arms" for all of his neo-Nazi supporters to take to the streets next weekend to sort it all out with more violence. He won't be there, of course, as he's on bail (apparently).

No point missed.

I tend to agree with you in regards of the timing as I’m uneasy with the consequences that may result. We’ve already agreed in relation to any violence.

I just don’t think Boris is the right person to be commenting on people’s reactions towards racism.

I’m seeing this as a symbolic hands across the water moment for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's about to get worse by the sounds of it. Tommy Robinson has made a "call to arms" for all of his neo-Nazi supporters to take to the streets next weekend to sort it all out with more violence. He won't be there, of course, as he's on bail (apparently).
    What are they taking to the streets for? Because they think black lives don't matter? Or because of the pandemic?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What are they taking to the streets for? Because they think black lives don't matter? Or because of the pandemic?
    That's obviously the main one. Something to do with there not being any protests about muslim rapists and also something to do with Churchill's monument being vandalised, I think. Bit ironic, really. Bunch of people with swastika tattoos defending a monument of the leader of the UK at the time the Nazis were defeated.

That's obviously the main one. Something to do with there not being any protests about muslim rapists and also something to do with Churchill's monument being vandalised, I think. Bit ironic, really. Bunch of people with swastika tattoos defending a monument of the leader of the UK at the time the Nazis were defeated.
    Morons

Excellent news, clothing sales of Lonsdale, Superdry and snide Stone Island should provide a welcome stimulus to the economy plus I love watching middle aged, bald knobhead shout “No Surrender” before getting arrested and bitching the police like ****ing babies.

It’s always good to see Yaxley prepared to support the establishment on such matters.

Excellent news, clothing sales of Lonsdale, Superdry and snide Stone Island should provide a welcome stimulus to the economy plus I love watching middle aged, bald knobhead shout “No Surrender” before getting arrested and bitching the police like ****ing babies.

It’s always good to see Yaxley prepared to support the establishment on such matters.
    Out to protect the cenotaphs.

Plymouth Argyle "lads" were pictured outside the cenotaph they were "protecting" in Plymouth yesterday. I hope they did a better job protecting it than they did the top of that hill in the 90s but you would know more about that than me. I only heard the story second hand and every time the story was told by our mutual friend he added another 20 Plymouth on.

I thought Gary Linekar was spot-on yesterday when he said supporters of political parties or more so if they were left or right wing, whatever your viewpoints, have become more tribal than football supporters.

He said at least football supporters can admit when their team have had a stinker and concede ground, but in politics it appears to be impossible for people to give any ground whatsoever and will try and defend the indefensible. On both sides people have become so extreme in their views that there is little chance of unity at the moment.