+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

It is all such a complicated intertwined paradigm that it’s tough for me to get my head and my emotions around.

It struck me and shocked me 18 years ago when I moved here how there seemed to be more racial undertones than in the UK.

To just blame racist police and other institutions is massively oversimplifying things.

It’s how black people are perceived, still today....as too different and a threat by so many people and how how these perceptions must understandably perpetuate the feeling of disenfranchisement and resentment that needs addressing.

Relative financial inequality is also another big factor that contributes to the cycle of problems and lord knows how to tackle that?

One can only hope that this whole sorry situation is the catalyst for positive change.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    It is all such a complicated intertwined paradigm that it’s tough for me to get my head and my emotions around.

It struck me and shocked me 18 years ago when I moved here how there seemed to be more racial undertones than in the UK.

To just blame racist police and other institutions is massively oversimplifying things.

It’s how black people are perceived, still today....as too different and a threat by so many people and how how these perceptions must understandably perpetuate the feeling of disenfranchisement and resentment that needs addressing.

Relative financial inequality is also another big factor that contributes to the cycle of problems and lord knows how to tackle that?

One can only hope that this whole sorry situation is the catalyst for positive change.
    The ethos of the US seems to be to look after number one and to pay as little in tax as possible. In what other country do you find such a huge proportion of the population not demanding a universal health care system and not demanding a ban on personal firearms? And the US accounts for almost half of the personal gun ownership in the world, it is said. Political candidates (usually very old white men) need to prostitute themselves to raise the many millions of dollars it takes to run for election and many appointments in the judicial system are political. It's a sick society in many ways and those at the bottom suffer most.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The ethos of the US seems to be to look after number one and to pay as little in tax as possible. In what other country do you find such a huge proportion of the population not demanding a universal health care system and not demanding a ban on personal firearms? And the US accounts for almost half of the personal gun ownership in the world, it is said. Political candidates (usually very old white men) need to prostitute themselves to raise the many millions of dollars it takes to run for election and many appointments in the judicial system are political. It's a sick society in many ways and those at the bottom suffer most.
    I'm so glad there's no inequality in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I remember seeing a normal American woman being asked why she supported republican tax cuts for millionaires that would cost her money. She said because one day she might be a millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I remember seeing a normal American woman being asked why she supported republican tax cuts for millionaires that would cost her money. She said because one day she might be a millionaire.
    You seem to think that your view of everything is the only one that counts.