+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    And plays into the hands of Trump as the "get tough" president. The church "thing" today was pathetic - does he seriously believe that the American people (Christian or otherwise) believe for one fleeting moment that he is a Christian with or without this shameless stunt?
    Do agree it feeds his narrative , in Hong Kong occupying peacefully airports had such better result , looting v protesters, no contest . Gandhi could teach these rioters and looters a thing in making a mark in peaceful meaningful protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    False equivalency. Black people are in that position because black lives don’t matter.

And how many black people are in the world and what percentage of them do you think are involved in gangs?
    False claim. How many non black people are there in the world and and what percentage of them are racist? How many white cops are there in the States, and what percentage of them do you think are racist?
    There are more innocent young black men murdered by fellow young black men in both the states and the Uk than are murdered by police. Do black lives only matter if they are killed by cops?
    As for the rioting and looting, how is that gonna help the situation? It makes a mockery of the genuine peaceful protestors, and does nothing but harm their cause.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do agree it feeds his narrative , in Hong Kong occupying peacefully airports had such better result , looting v protesters, no contest . Gandhi could teach these rioters and looters a thing in making a mark in peaceful meaningful protest.
    There was looting going on during the Hong Kong protests too... Jesus Christ, LoM, you're having a 'mare in this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    This thread is like hypocrisy central

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...0-French-Riots
    The French protestors were generally peaceful over a long period of time, yet they were confronted by increasing levels of police harrasment and intimidation, as opposed to the preplanned robbing and looting spree organised by the Antifa commies.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The video is not pretty.

Driver released, probably because he had breaking issues stopping such a large vehicle after suddenly coming across hundreds of people standing around in the middle of a highway!

Justice Yes

but surely this is going too far

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Justice Yes

but surely this is going too far
    I'm sure a few on here who would be up for it judging by their moralistic posts. I am grateful that I was brought up the right way to respect everybody, so this public display of guilt-tripping is quite an alien concept to me.

It’s crazy the ways people will go to say black lives don’t matter.

A small number of Black people kill other black people so they shouldn’t protest for equal rights.

A small number of people have looted during a country wide protest.

The protests have happened during a lockdown easing.

It’s obvious what these people’s agendas are.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    False claim. How many non black people are there in the world and and what percentage of them are racist? How many white cops are there in the States, and what percentage of them do you think are racist?
    There are more innocent young black men murdered by fellow young black men in both the states and the Uk than are murdered by police. Do black lives only matter if they are killed by cops?
    As for the rioting and looting, how is that gonna help the situation? It makes a mockery of the genuine peaceful protestors, and does nothing but harm their cause.
    So because of this you think it’s ok that black people are treated differently to white people by the state in the U.K. and the US then?

All these are arguments that you think black lives don’t matter. Is that the case?

Maybe when you see a group of people protesting for justice you need to ask yourself why your first reaction to this is “what about this and what about that”

And people need to ask themselves why there is a disproportionate number of black people in prison? Why is their a disproportionate amount of black on black comes?

And if your answer is because black people are genetically more likely to be criminals then you’re a racist

If that isn’t your answer then you should be backing black lives matter.

I've seen the recently released Netflix series on Michael Jordan described as the best sports documentary ever - I've not watched it and I doubt if I ever will. With apologies to anyone who might think this is a clumsy and inappropriate analogy given that i would have thought the large majority of professional basketball players in the USA are Afro Caribbean, I can't stand basketball, it's too easy to score and games are decided by how often you don't score the expected points when you attack.

The thing is though, my opinion of basketball is blinkered and biased, I come up with a bunch of preconceived notions about it which, almost certainly, makes it impossible for me to be objective about it.

I wrote a weekly column for the Echo on City for about eighteen months a few years back, but, by far and away, the most comment any of the pieces I wrote during that time attracted was one I did where I told a story against myself at the time of the Malky Mackay racism controversy. I won't go into too much detail now, but, back in the early eighties, I made a racist comment (I called them a P*k*) about a member of the public I'd just had a fairly troublesome phone conversation with in work. I thought the Sri Lankan gentleman who worked close by I was quite friendly with was at lunch at the time, but it turned out he heard me. We barely spoke again after that, but word got back to me that he was very disappointed with me because "he thought I was better than that".

That comment was absolutely perfect if it was meant to upset me and make me think. It had a profound effect on me and drove a coach and horses through my opinion of myself that I was a "right on" non racist. However, I would say in partial mitigation that I was a product of my time and anyone who is not old enough to have, first, lived through and, second, understood what was being said in so much of the print you read and the television and radio you watched and heard in that decade, cannot really comprehend the way my generation was being influenced to think of people with a skin colour that wasn't white in derogatory terms.

Nevertheless, there is so much thinking on a par with my attitude towards basketball in this thread - people pontificating and agreeing sagely on a subject they know very little about (i.e. what it is like to be black in countries in the "developed" world). I freely admit that I don't know what it's like because I cannot do, but, based on this thread, there are plenty of white, middle aged/old men who think they know exactly what it's like.

The thing is, Delmbox absolutely nailed this it with this argument in another thread when he said;-

"The question I think you need to ask yourself is when you see a group of people protesting because they're clearly angry and upset about something, why your reaction is to think of "what about, what about" reasons why they shouldn't, rather than thinking about why they are."

End of argument as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah that delmbox argument really spoke to me. Very well put.

You can be anti racist and still say inappropriate things and have inappropriate opinions too, you just have to try and improve yourself. I’ve said racist things I regretted when I was younger thinking it was just a joke and am probably guilty of it at times now too. Life Is about continuously trying to improve yourself as a person, none of us are perfect.

So because of this you think it’s ok that black people are treated differently to white people by the state in the U.K. and the US then?

All these are arguments that you think black lives don’t matter. Is that the case?

Maybe when you see a group of people protesting for justice you need to ask yourself why your first reaction to this is “what about this and what about that”
    Why do you always try to twist things?
    Do you get some perverse thrill?
    My initial post in this thread explains my opinion on the topic matter. No where in it does it say that i don't think black lives matter. Thats all in your head.

Why do you always try to twist things?
    Do you get some perverse thrill?
    My initial post in this thread explains my opinion on the topic matter. No where in it does it say that i don't think black lives matter. Thats all in your head.
    So you think the protests have value then

So if your not black and living in a “developed” country, you cant have an opinion on racist matters ?
    Very backward thinking in my opinion.

So you think the protests have value then
    Of course the protests have value. The rioting and looting definitely don't 👍

Of course the protests have value. The rioting and looting definitely don't 👍
    So why do people keep bringing them up?

It’s a small minority of people. They aren’t part of the protests if they’re looting and rioting.

The people judging the whole movement of blm on a tiny proportion of people must hate the American police based on the actions of the minority of the police who shoot people.

So if your not black and living in a “developed” country, you cant have an opinion on racist matters ?
    He hasn’t said that, he said maybe we can’t fully comprehend what it’s like being the subject of it, so it’s hard to have a fully formed opinion of what it’s like.

Show me where I said that. Following your logic through, I shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on basketball. As I admit, my opinion of that sport is blinkered and biased, but I'm allowed my opinion on it even though it's probably a load of bollox.

He hasn’t said that, he said maybe we can’t fully comprehend what it’s like being the subject of it, so it’s hard to have a fully formed opinion of what it’s like.
    Thats just nonsense. Its quite easy to imagine what it would be like to be persecuted and treated like 2nd class citizens on a daily basis. Thats why the majority of people of all colours all over the world are sickened by it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Show me where I said that. Following your logic through, I shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on basketball. As I admit, my opinion of that sport is blinkered and biased, but I'm allowed my opinion on it even though it's probably a load of bollox.
    This whole thread is going round in circles. Its not my logic I'm talking about. Its your logic .
    You wrote a long winded post about it about 20 mins ago 😁

Thats just nonsense. Its quite easy to imagine what it would be like to be persecuted and treated like 2nd class citizens on a daily basis. Thats why the majority of people of all colours all over the world are sickened by it.
    We appreciate that it’s bad but we underestimate how difficult it is. We don’t know what it’s like to be completely judged just on how we look and having to be on our guard at all times of day.

Black people, in the US at least, have to be taught growing up how to behave with the police because they’re more likely to be approached and more likely to be injured than a white person. Can you actually imagine what that’s like to be so afraid of that every time you leave the house? Because I can’t.

We don’t notice how lucky we are to be white because we are so used to it. That’s what makes it so hard for us to understand exactly how bad it is for non white people.

Racism is not just a colour issue.

So why do people keep bringing them up?

It’s a small minority of people. They aren’t part of the protests if they’re looting and rioting.

The people judging the whole movement of blm on a tiny proportion of people must hate the American police based on the actions of the minority of the police who shoot people.
    It doesn’t matter if its a small minority. Its distracting from the protest. We all know what damage a small minority can do. It wasn't that long ago, that all City fans were tarred with the same brush because of the soul crew.

It doesn’t matter if its a small minority. Its distracting from the protest. We all know what damage a small minority can do. It wasn't that long ago, that all City fans were tarred with the same brush because of the soul crew.
    But the people doing the looting aren’t part of the protests.