+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I'm probably being completely ignorant here but what are these protests in the UK actually about. What do the people attending specifically want to change here?
    1) The main reason is to show solidarity with the protestors in America
    2) The killing of George Floyd has got people talking about racism in various countries. In the UK, there have been 1741 deaths of BAME people filling police contact since 1990 so the protest would also raise that issue and bring awareness
    3) Possibly the fact that the UK sells rubber bullets to the US and people want the sales to stop - see the Independent link I posted

Recent points include Belly Mujinga, a railway worker who died from COVID, after someone spat at her and the BAME population being disproportionately affected by COVID but some action seems to have started, possibly due to the pressures from people

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I'm probably being completely ignorant here but what are these protests in the UK actually about. What do the people attending specifically want to change here?
    The guy who spoke in Cardiff said he didn’t want to live in fear of being killed by police because of the colour of his skin. Perhaps he was from the USA and was just on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    2) The killing of George Floyd has got people talking about racism in various countries. In the UK, there have been 1741 deaths of BAME people filling police contact since 1990 so the protest would also raise that issue and bring awareness
    3) Possibly the fact that the UK sells rubber bullets to the US and people want the sales to stop - see the Independent link I posted

Recent points include Belly Mujinga, a railway worker who died from COVID, after someone spat at her and the BAME population being disproportionately affected by COVID but some action seems to have started, possibly due to the pressures from people
    There will be a lot more people dying of covid thanks to these protests. People who didn’t attend a march will also die as a result of your/their selfish actions.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    There will be a lot more people dying of covid thanks to these protests. People who didn’t attend a march will also die as a result of your/their selfish actions.
    I didn’t attend the march due to the pandemic. I want to protest, but on the other hand, I don’t want my actions indirectly killing someone, which is why I didn’t go.

However, I think it is OTT to call someone who goes to a protest as ‘selfish’ as they are putting themselves at risk too for a cause.

I didn’t attend the march due to the pandemic. I want to protest, but on the other hand, I don’t want my actions indirectly killing someone, which is why I didn’t go.

However, I think it is OTT to call someone who goes to a protest as ‘selfish’ as they are putting themselves at risk too for a cause.
    And in the middle of a pandemic, as you’ve rightly pointed out, It’s not just yourself you are putting at risk it is others too. I’m sorry, but that is selfish.

You want to show solidarity with America but at the expense of lives in this country. That’s selfish.

Especially the BAME community who are at more risk.

The Cardiff one, due to controllable numbers was respectfully social distanced. Manchester and London was another kettle of fish.

The guy who spoke in Cardiff said he didn’t want to live in fear of being killed by police because of the colour of his skin. Perhaps he was from the USA and was just on vacation.
    Do you think black people in this country get treated equally and without discrimination by the police , the courts etc ?

Are you aware of the high disproportionate number of deaths of black men in police custody ?

You do realise that black men have been killed by the police in this country ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Do you think black people in this country get treated equally and without discrimination by the police , the courts etc ?

Are you aware of the high disproportionate number of deaths of black men in police custody ?

164 people have died in police custody in the last 10 years. 140 of them white.

And in the middle of a pandemic, as you’ve rightly pointed out, It’s not just yourself you are putting at risk it is others too. I’m sorry, but that is selfish.

You want to show solidarity with America but at the expense of lives in this country. That’s selfish.

Especially the BAME community who are at more risk.

The Cardiff one, due to controllable numbers was respectfully social distanced. Manchester and London was another kettle of fish.
    Can you read? I said that I did not attend the march

Can you read? I said that I did not attend the march
    I am taking about the people who have marched not you. You’ve already contradicted yourself by admitting you haven’t marched because of the pandemic leading to deaths of others, but refuse to condemn those who have.

Bringing awareness to what exactly? That when you actually break down that number it isn't very significant?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52890363

The case of Belly Mujinga is tragic, but I am baffled as to why you think it's a racism one. The anger should be at her employer for allowing her to work despite her underlying conditions. When the spitter was tested for antibodies, it came back negative (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52853859), so again, the anger should be at her worker for allowing her to remain in a customer facing role. Strangely that case works against your justification for protests because there will likely be more people out there who will get this virus and die directly because of these protests.

A time and a place, you have seen that the current situation with Covid19 means this is not the time

but i know people will say " strike while the iron is hot " is the reason, but the responsible action is to wait

Any sources for the disproportionate claims?

Yes, black people have been killed by police in this country, but that isn't what these protests are about because it isn't an issue here. I've linked the police deaths so you can look through and pick out ones that were unlawful, you'll note that the worst cases were decades back (and not all related to race).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Trying to conflate US police issues with our issues is insulting and undermines the movement in the US.

164 people have died in police custody in the last 10 years. 140 of them white.
    Surprisingly the vast majority of people in this country are not black

The fact that 24 black men have died in police custody is disproportionately high

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    A time and a place, you have seen that the current situation with Covid19 means this is not the time

but i know people will say " strike while the iron is hot " is the reason, but the responsible action is to wait
    Not that I agree with them but can you imagine if the Brexiteers marched for the cause they believe in?

There would be ructions, mainly from those that have marched today.

You might protest which is normally fine, you may come in contact with a carrier ,which is a risk, you then take that to someone who has a weaker immunity and they die .

Wasn't there a political fuss the other day about thoughtless Cummings, and we also know some BAME are more at risk than others ??

Surprisingly the vast majority of people in this country are not black

The fact that 24 black men have died in police custody is disproportionately high
    13 black men actually. Read Llandafs link then come back. In the last 10 years there’s more chance of an arrested white person dying in custody.

Not that I agree with them but can you imagine if the Brexiteers marched for the cause they believe in?

I know this place would be having a meltdown, thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    You might protest which us fine, you may come in contact with a carrier ,which is a risk you then take that to someone who has a weaker immunity and they die .

Wasn't there a political fuss the other day about thoughtless Cummings, and we also know some BAME are more at risk than others ??
    He didn’t protest he’d rather pontificate from the safety of his bedroom

I pontificated once in my bedroom , my mam made me change the sheets 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post

Yes, black people have been killed by police in this country, but that isn't what these protests are about because it isn't an issue here. I've linked the police deaths so you can look through and pick out ones that were unlawful, you'll note that the worst cases were decades back (and not all related to race).

Trying to conflate US police issues with our issues is insulting and undermines the movement in the US.
    Loads of evidence of black deaths in police custody , particularly those with mental illness held under section 136

Google it

The justice system says that the deaths were lawful but we know how the justice system treats black people in this country

Just look at the case of the cardiff three

I think its brilliant that people of all colours are protesting in british cities

The problem of oppression is happening all over the world

If I attended, you would criticise me, but because I didn’t, you are doing so again 🙄

Loads of evidence of black deaths in police custody , particularly those with mental illness held under section 136

Google it

The justice system says that the deaths were lawful but we know how the justice system treats black people in this country

I think its brilliant that people of all colours are protesting in british cities

How long ago was the Cardiff 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post

In fairness while it’s no where near as bad in this country I think you were more likely to be stopped and searched it you weren’t white.

But I agree trying to put ours on the levels of the US definitely undermines it.

Why would the pro brexit lot protest today ? They already have their way

Feelings are running high about an outrage that is happening NOW

In cardiff today people of all colours observed social distancing and were peaceful

Who the feck is pritti patel ? One of her governments chief advisers broke the lockdown , a black man has been murdered and people are pissed off , if cummings can ponce about all over the country then people can protest in cardiff

Google it

I've provided a link above, as JR said read it.

I'm not googling anything, if you make claims then you are the one who needs to back them up as I have done in this thread.

Well you can just look at the reasoning for the deaths, which is written out nicely for you and the ones you think were wrong you can point out to me. Note how the vast majority are terrorism or weapon related. This is not the US, we have our own issues with racism for sure, but it isn't the same and never will be the same as what's going on in America.

I know about the Cardiff 3, the fact it was decades ago (like I said) doesn't strengthen your point at all.