+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Why would you wash it in chlorine if not because of bad hygiene standards?
    Could be an extra safety precaution?

Why do we wash bagged salads in Chlorine?Poor hygiene? .....and its in our drinking water

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Ah - I see. As I understand it the Pyramids are OK and should be safe from any Antifa history changers! They were almost certainly built by Egyptian labourers who were paid a wage (and given elaborate burial rites) not slaves. The idea that Jewish slaves built them came from Menachim Begin and Hollywood (Charlton Heston as Moses). It was made up!
    I never knew Begin said it but I would accept to many jews it would be a symbol of their enslavement, rightly or wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Could be an extra safety precaution?

Why do we wash bagged salads in Chlorine?Poor hygiene? .....and its in our drinking water
    We wash salad in chlorine to kill off the salmonella (unless you'd rather cook them at 175 degrees for an hour).

I guess we could just wash everything in chlorine if we wanted to. Or maybe it's a bit nicer to just treat the animals a bit better so they're less likely to have high levels of salmonella and e-coli and require the chlorine wash.

I think you are still able to douse them at home with chlorine if you choose, so don't worry about that.

How did thread about George Floyd (RIP) turn I to a discussion about chickens?

Ah - I see. As I understand it the Pyramids are OK and should be safe from any Antifa history changers! They were almost certainly built by Egyptian labourers who were paid a wage (and given elaborate burial rites) not slaves. The idea that Jewish slaves built them came from Menachim Begin and Hollywood (Charlton Heston as Moses). It was made up!
    Did they own property and have bank accounts then?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    We wash salad in chlorine to kill off the salmonella (unless you'd rather cook them at 175 degrees for an hour).

I guess we could just wash everything in chlorine if we wanted to. Or maybe it's a bit nicer to just treat the animals a bit better so they're less likely to have high levels of salmonella and e-coli and require the chlorine wash.

I think you are still able to douse them at home with chlorine if you choose, so don't worry about that.
    Salad in bags is the risk, bagged, can sweat, ideal for salmonella, so it has to be washed in chlorine ahead of bagging. Organic salad is not allowed to be washed in chlorine ( EU). And loose salad just needs a wash in tap water, so safest of the lot.

I agree your comments about animal welfare, so ideally free range is best.

But overall I wouldn't deny US chicken in UK on health grounds, but on animal welfare grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's a direct quote though

Does the young lady say that only black people are dying and people in the UK aren't dying of Covid-19? If she did, I can see why you're non-plussed about it. (Spoiler: she said that there were two pandemics going on at the moment)

I'm getting the feeling that you just read the headline.
    A lot of people only read the headline, which was the point of my post. I did indeed listen to the whole video. Yes, the young lady says there are two pandemics - the COVID pandemic and, in her words, the "pandemic of black people being killed every day". (listen from approx 1.04 to 1.15 minutes). That implies that all around the world (pandemic definition: a disease affecting the whole world) black people are being killed. I would simply question that statement.

Salad in bags is the risk, bagged, can sweat, ideal for salmonella, so it has to be washed in chlorine ahead of bagging. Organic salad is not allowed to be washed in chlorine ( EU). And loose salad just needs a wash in tap water, so safest of the lot.

I agree your comments about animal welfare, so ideally free range is best.

But overall I wouldn't deny US chicken in UK on health grounds, but on animal welfare grounds.
    That's exactly why everyone is against it isn't it?

For the record washing chickens in chlorinated water was the norm in UK until EU banned it because of the risk that it could hide bad hygiene standards. This is n to to say USA has bad hygiene standards as you are implying.

Many of the bagged salads and other fresh prepared veg purchased in UK has been washed in chlorinated water.

What's the issue. Non other than our farmers believe that USA could produce cheaper chickens.

At the end of the day people will have the choice at no extra cost.
    I admire your faith that the food labelling regulations we currently have, all defined by EU Regulation or Directive, will persist post transition period. Seems to me that the key architects of Brexit were the people most keen on a bonfire of EU red tape such as precisely how to label a chicken.

In any event the Trade deal with the US may come with stipulations that country of origin is not labelled to allow everyone the choice people think they will have.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8295141.html

But even if we agree to import all this stuff, we don’t have to buy it, do we (you may ask)? We can just buy British or “farm assured”, surely?

Yes and no. The US objects to COOL (“Country of Origin Labelling”) as it can refer to “country of birth, fattening, and slaughter of animals; country of milking, packaging, or processing for dairy products; and country of cultivation and processing for wheat”.

So post-Brexit, chances are you’ll be shopping blind, unable to avoid genetically modified American “cheddar”, even if you wanted to.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I admire your faith that the food labelling regulations we currently have, all defined by EU Regulation or Directive, will persist post transition period. Seems to me that the key architects of Brexit were the people most keen on a bonfire of EU red tape such as precisely how to label a chicken.

In any event the Trade deal with the US may come with stipulations that country of origin is not labelled to allow everyone the choice people think they will have.

But even if we agree to import all this stuff, we don’t have to buy it, do we (you may ask)? We can just buy British or “farm assured”, surely?

Yes and no. The US objects to COOL (“Country of Origin Labelling”) as it can refer to “country of birth, fattening, and slaughter of animals; country of milking, packaging, or processing for dairy products; and country of cultivation and processing for wheat”.

So post-Brexit, chances are you’ll be shopping blind, unable to avoid genetically modified American “cheddar”, even if you wanted to.[/I]
    If US chicken was permitted in UK, would US companies McDonalds and KFC use US chicken in their meals, and who would know?

You are actually a very intelligent bloke fair play

International

But with regard to meat, as I said if you use a traditional butchers shop he will tell you where it comes from and i think most butchers wouldn't stock that chicken on principle. A lot of chicken people buy prepacked now is chinese but you won't find a butchers shop selling that I don't think, from my experience they sell the bigger british birds..

If US chicken was permitted in UK, would US companies McDonalds and KFC use US chicken in their meals, and who would know?
    I think that is the point. I thought you were saying that people would have choice so what is the problem. Sorry if I misunderstood.

As I said in another thread further problems come for Northern Ireland as they will still be subject to the same food standards as the rest of Ireland (ie the EUs) and customs checks on behalf of the EU will take place on goods between two parts of the UK to ensure these standards are met and produce banned in the EU does not get into the single market.

Similarly chicken produce exported to the rest of the EU from the UK will need a certificate of origin or risk being subjected to additional border checks if this is not available. Problem is the UK government has already warned these certificates may not be available and exports could be rejected.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/poultry-...-leaves-the-eu

The UK government will issue certificates, however they may not be available from 1 January 2021. You can either export poultry meat to the EU without a certificate or remove optional indications.

To do this you must remove all optional indications from any:

packaging
    labelling
    accompanying documentation
    If you export without a certificate, your goods may be delayed or rejected at an EU border.

Still we hold all the cards so it will probably be all ok

International

I think that is the point. I thought you were saying that people would have choice so what is the problem. Sorry if I misunderstood.

As I said in another thread further problems come for Northern Ireland as they will still be subject to the same food standards as the rest of Ireland (ie the EUs) and customs checks on behalf of the EU will take place on goods between two parts of the UK to ensure these standards are met and produce banned in the EU does not get into the single market.

Similarly chicken produce exported to the rest of the EU from the UK will need a certificate of origin or risk being subjected to additional border checks if this is not available. Problem is the UK government has already warned these certificates may not be available and exports could be rejected.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/poultry-...-leaves-the-eu

The UK government will issue certificates, however they may not be available from 1 January 2021. You can either export poultry meat to the EU without a certificate or remove optional indications.

To do this you must remove all optional indications from any:

packaging
    labelling
    accompanying documentation
    If you export without a certificate, your goods may be delayed or rejected at an EU border.

Still we hold all the cards so it will probably be all ok
    Fact or opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Did they own property and have bank accounts then?
    Probably not and certainly not. I hope this helps.

I'm still not sure why you decided to jump from a statue of Colston to the pyramids earlier in this thread. If you share snaggles opinion that the pyramids are a monument to slave labour, that is the opposite of a monument to a slaver!

Still, I suppose the truth is out there if you know where to look!

International

Probably not and certainly not. I hope this helps.

I'm still not sure why you decided to jump from a statue of Colston to the pyramids earlier in this thread. If you share snaggles opinion that the pyramids are a monument to slave labour, that is the opposite of a monument to a slaver!

Still, I suppose the truth is out there if you know where to look!
    Why do you people always change things to suit your reply and to suit your agenda.
    i never said I thought that the pyramids were a monument to slave labour, I said some jews may, rightly or wrongly, see them as that. We all know they had practical purpose as burial chambers. Why they were built the relationship to each other that they were may be a referemnce to the aliens that visited the planet about 10,000 BC if you believe some stories (And they may have been lizards lol)

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Fact or opinion?
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sing-irish-sea

Depends on whether you believe what Michael Gove says or not I suppose.

Why do you people always change things to suit your reply and to suit your agenda.
    i never said I thought that the pyramids were a monument to slave labour, I said some jews may, rightly or wrongly, see them as that. We all know they had practical purpose as burial chambers. Why they were built the relationship to each other that they were may be a referemnce to the aliens that visited the planet about 10,000 BC if you believe some stories (And they may have been lizards lol)

International

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sing-irish-sea

Depends on whether you believe what Michael Gove says or not I suppose.
    Ah so its not fact is it? Yet! I think that stance may change in the coming months, but maybe not. I'll wait and see.

Ah so its not fact is it? Yet! I think that stance may change in the coming months, but maybe not. I'll wait and see.
    If you read the 23 page document he references I think you will find it is. Read the bit on Agri-Food if you still have doubt (para 33).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eland-protocol

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    A lot of people only read the headline, which was the point of my post. I did indeed listen to the whole video. Yes, the young lady says there are two pandemics - the COVID pandemic and, in her words, the "pandemic of black people being killed every day". (listen from approx 1.04 to 1.15 minutes). That implies that all around the world (pandemic definition: a disease affecting the whole world) black people are being killed. I would simply question that statement.
    You're questioning a metaphor though.

You might as well have said "Killing black people isn't even a virus/disease so it couldn't be a "pandemic" in the first place".

International

If you read the 23 page document he references I think you will find it is. Read the bit on Agri-Food if you still have doubt (para 33).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eland-protocol
    I'll take your word for it, lol.

Heisenberg

I'll take your word for it, lol.
    You didn't "take his word for it" earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You didn't "take his word for it" earlier
    tbf he didn't take Michel Gove's word for it so I don't blame him for having doubt.

International

tbf he didn't take Michel Gove's word for it so I don't blame him for having doubt.
    And 'he' isn't about to read a dry 23 page document for the sake of a bit of football message board banter either