+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1323

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Heisenberg

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    OK, that’s your interpretation. I have a different one, sorry. I understand a metaphor to be a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them e.g. rivers of tears or drowning in money.

IMO the use of the word pandemic is not a metaphor in this instance. There is no likeness or analogy between the killing of people by racist white policemen and the killing of people by COVID 19 virus. The use of the term pandemic in these emotionally charged times implies some kind of mass slaughter of black people by the police.
    Cool. I think you're interpretation is still wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Doesn't that make Hillsborough very relevant? All the safety comes directly from that. After other tragedies like Bradford, nothing changed.
    Yes, if you want to look at it from that angle it was the catalyst for change, so its relevant in that regard, but its no longer relevant in terms of how you judge the safety of a football ground. Going to football has changed in the last 30 years and thats not all down to Hillsborough. There has been a huge clampdown on hooliganism too, especially in the last 20 years but do we keep saying its unsafe and dangerous to go to the football in 2020 because of something that happened 30 years ago??

By Sludges logic Cardiff police force are racist and corrupt because of an incident over 30 years ago. Who's to say the Lynette White case didnt bring about change in the South Wales Police? or has there been a continued history of the South Wales police fitting up black men only? If so where is the evidence?

I would argue that society has moved on massively in the last 10/20/30 years so to keep using arguments and examples from 30 years is nonsensical and outdated.

Christ, I watched one of those rewind programmes the other day from the early 90s and politicians were straight out calling gays the anti-christ and it was open season on gays on most mainstream channels . In 2020 the vast majority of people dont bad an eyelid at homosexuality.

I would certainly rather my children grew up in 2010's and 20s than the 70s,80s or 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I would argue that society has moved on massively in the last 10/20/30 years.....
    Has it really? Or are a significant percentage of people simply a lot more careful about how they display and express their prejudices?

Society in the UK has moved on, no doubt about that. But massively?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Has it really? Or are a significant percentage of people simply a lot more careful about how they display and express their prejudices?

Society in the UK has moved on, no doubt about that. But massively?
    I think society has changed massively. Comics like Bernard Manning would never be on TV now
    Last edited by WJ99mobile; 09-06-20 at 16:50. Reason: A

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    So is there no Churchill statue in Cardiff ?
    Not as far as I'm aware.

We do have a Ghandi one though who was a bit of a racist

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Isn’t that in itself moving on?
    I suppose it depends on your perspective. For me, a significant reduction in the percentage of racists, bigots and homophobes within a society would indicate that it has moved on massively. Based on my personal experiences, I'm not sure that's happened in the UK during the last ten, twenty or thirty years, but I am hopeful about the younger generation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I suppose it depends on your perspective. For me, a significant reduction in the percentage of racists, bigots and homophobes within a society would indicate that it has moved on massively. Based on my personal experiences, I'm not sure that's happened in the UK during the last ten, twenty or thirty years, but I am hopeful about the younger generation.
    I agree on the younger generation and I think as the older generations die off and younger generations come through it will be a natural progression in reducing prejudice.

Each to their own but i think homophobia is massively on the decline, certainly nowhere near what it was 30 years ago. It is no longer taboo.

I agree it’s nowhere near as bad as it was 20 years ago. When I was a kid you’d get called a poof for putting a shit tackle in or say something was gay because it was rubbish.

But while it’s not as taboo as it was I was shocked to read that gay people are much more likely to be assaulted than straight people. So maybe I was naive in thinking it had moved on as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    Not as far as I'm aware.

We do have a Ghandi one though who was a bit of a racist
    The focus in Cardiff seems to be the statue of Thomas Picton in City Hall.

I don't understand what you mean ?
    There's been many killings in life , and each one is judged on its circumstances, and then the sentence is applied .

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Just take them all down there are abused anyway , just look at Nye Bevans statue, I've seen traffic cones on it and all sort of crap thrown on it , covered in pigeon and seagull shit , which makes worthless to view , never seen thier worth .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There's been many killings in life , and each one is judged on its circumstances, and then the sentence is applied .
    Like the IRA 'letters of comfort' you mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Just take them all down there are abused anyway , just look at Nye Bevans statue, I've seen traffic cones on it and all sort of crap thrown on it , covered in pigeon and seagull shit , which makes worthless to view , never seen thier worth .
    Lots think Churchill statues need to go.

I never knew about that before, has there been calls to take it down for a while or is this the first time it’s been mentioned?

The monument to him in Carmarthen is about 100ft tall.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I never knew about that before, has there been calls to take it down for a while or is this the first time it’s been mentioned?
    They had to go and look for a slavers statue so the could complain about it. I think its getting to the point where if a place doesn't have a slaver's statue the people will complain and demand one is erected just so they can tear it down.

International

Lots think Churchill statues need to go.
    Who are 'lots of people'. you do talk some nonsense. Is he a slave trader or what?

The Lord Mayor has commented on this and wants it removed. Its not exactly on public display up on the first floor of the city hall. If the council debate it and decide it should go then the museum next door may be the best place, then its will be on public display.
    I understand Thomas Picton treated his slaves like shit apparently, and I believe killed one.

George Washington also had a similar reputation with his slaves, and used to break up families by sending individual members to different distant parts. Be interesting if they tried to pull his statues down in USA

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Who are 'lots of people'. you do talk some nonsense. Is he a slave trader or what?
    I seen him described as “worse than Hitler” on Twitter yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    The Lord Mayor has commented on this and wants it removed. Its not exactly on public display up on the first floor of the city hall. If the council debate it and decide it should go then the museum next door may be the best place, then its will be on public display.
    I understand Thomas Picton treated his slaves like shit apparently, and I believe killed one.

George Washington also had a similar reputation with his slaves, and used to break up families by sending individual members to different distant parts. Be interesting if they tried to pull his statues down in USA
    Will the English go after Churchill, he has an appalling record on race, the trend is to go after slavery types but Churchill's abysmal record can't be overlooked surely.

International

I seen him described as “worse than Hitler” on Twitter yesterday
    I wonder who was saying it. If Hitler had won they wouldn't think that.

They better leave the statues of Jonny Owen and Howard Winstone alone in Merthyr or there will be trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I wonder who was saying it. If Hitler had won they wouldn't think that.
    The reason went something along the lines of Churchill was a racist but also a smoker, a drinker and a womaniser whereas apart from being a racist Hitler didn’t have any sinful vices

International

The reason went something along the lines of Churchill was a racist but also a smoker, a drinker and a womaniser whereas apart from being a racist Hitler didn’t have any sinful vices
    Genocidal tendencies don't count then? The occult? the suppression of democracy, enslavement of ethnic minorities. the slaughter of 20+ million russians, that's enough to begin with, but I'm interested to see what trampie says.