Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1323

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Anti British hype

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Anti British hype
    Sadly most of it is. And a lot of it comes from students and recently ex-students who have been taught this by lefty winf teachers and tutors.
    I thought teachers were supposed to be politically neutral in the class room but I know a teacher who works in a private school in Newport and she is proud of the fact that she teaches all her pupils to think that the labour party is the only party in the world and that if their parents vote conservative they are scum. oNt only is she proud of it but she brags that all her colleagues and fellow professionals that she knows think and act the same way. That cannot be right in any way!

So people should only be taught positive history about their country then?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Easy to say but if all the anti British hype is to be believed they should have refused to do what they were ordered.
    You can't say they were only obeying orders, the Germans tried that and look how much good that did them.

What really pisses me off is that all this anti British talk is coming from British people who have the fortune to live in this country. If we are such a bad role model and have been so horrible to so many countries why are all these people flocking to come her,e sometimes literally walking through 4 or 5 countries that are perfectly safe just to get to UK. They obviously didn't have the same history lessons as some people born in the last 20 or 30 years or so.
    The reason why a lot of people try desperately to come to this country is because there are established communities of people like them because of our colonial past as post war immigration

People tend to gravitate to familiar places

For example people fleeing the civil war in Somalia in the 1990s came to the uk and settled in areas of cities with large somali populations , cardiff for example

When brits emigrate abroad they head towards areas of spain that have a lot of ex Pats that serve British fry ups for breakfast and other british traditional dishes

Like chicken tikka masala

Sadly most of it is. And a lot of it comes from students and recently ex-students who have been taught this by lefty winf teachers and tutors.
    I thought teachers were supposed to be politically neutral in the class room but I know a teacher who works in a private school in Newport and she is proud of the fact that she teaches all her pupils to think that the labour party is the only party in the world and that if their parents vote conservative they are scum. oNt only is she proud of it but she brags that all her colleagues and fellow professionals that she knows think and act the same way. That cannot be right in any way!
    What cannot be right it this

This country has an imperialist, colonialist past

We were never , ever taught about slavery in school or our involvement in africa and the indian sub continent

It was all bollocks about henry 8th and his wives

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

We were never , ever taught about slavery in school or our involvement in africa and the indian sub continent

well I was. so we have an Imperialist colonial past. so what? Why should we be put in a position where people make us feel guilty of things that happened before we were born.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Yeah same for me too. The most interesting aspects of history are the more nuanced parts of it, it's stupid we are taught that everything Britain has ever done is great and nothing we've done is bad.

well I was. so we have an Imperialist colonial past. so what? Why should we be put in a position where people make us feel guilty of things that happened before we were born.
    Why does it make you feel so uncomfortable?

International

Why does it make you feel so uncomfortable?
    What makes you think it makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm at ease with it.
    I suppose using that phrase is so you can keep using it and eventually hope that people will see it as the truth. Same as usual.

What makes you think it makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm at ease with it.
    I suppose using that phrase is so you can keep using it and eventually hope that people will see it as the truth. Same as usual.
    You said they try and make you feel guilty

International

You said they try and make you feel guilty
    Not me personally. doh! Don't take everything literally or people will have to start saying 'one thinks' or 'one doesn't'.

So why don’t you want to hear it then? It’s interesting isn’t it?

International

So why don’t you want to hear it then? It’s interesting isn’t it?
    What the feck are you on about. don't pretend to be the amateur psychologist, you're wasting your time. Its rubbish spouted by people who live in a cossetted existence and are taught by people who should be unbiased that everything about British history is wrong. If they lived in another place they may begin to realise how lucky they are and wind their necks in!

I don't think learning accurate history about your country means you hate your country.

International

I don't think learning accurate history about your country means you hate your country.
    I never said it did. the problem is what they are learning is not accurate. they are being taught be people who do, or who have a one eyed vision of it and can only see the bad.

I never said it did. the problem is what they are learning is not accurate. they are being taught be people who do, or who have a one eyed vision of it and can only see the bad.
    What are they being taught that isn't acurate?

Because colonialism is celebrated by many people and it’s legacy affects modern society

Easy to say but if all the anti British hype is to be believed they should have refused to do what they were ordered.
    You can't say they were only obeying orders, the Germans tried that and look how much good that did them.

What really pisses me off is that all this anti British talk is coming from British people who have the fortune to live in this country. If we are such a bad role model and have been so horrible to so many countries why are all these people flocking to come her,e sometimes literally walking through 4 or 5 countries that are perfectly safe just to get to UK. They obviously didn't have the same history lessons as some people born in the last 20 or 30 years or so.
    Can’t talk for all countries but maybe some people migrate from some countries to Britain as Britain is rich. Rich by stealing the wealth of other countries. And the developing world therefore wouldn’t be able to offer the same life as Britain

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Can’t talk for all countries but maybe some people migrate from some countries to Britain as Britain is rich. Rich by stealing the wealth of other countries. And the developing world therefore wouldn’t be able to offer the same life as Britain
    It is that now , I think the Windrush era saw a need for both sides one for the good people of the commonwealth and West Indies who wanted to better themselves in terms of earnings , and of course the fact they were desperately needed to provide Labour needs in jobs like bus drivers that we could not fill in the larger cities , that can still be seen in public health jobs to this day , they have added a wonderful contribution to our country in my view .

International

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    you do talk crap sometimes. you are a perfect example of what I mean, you're British but you love to slag the country off, like it makes you a better person. It doesn't it makes you two faced and a parasite.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It is that now , I think the Windrush era saw a need for both sides one for the good people of the commonwealth and West Indies who wanted to better themselves in terms of earnings , and of course the fact they were desperately needed to provide Labour needs in jobs like bus drivers that we could not fill in the larger cities , that can still be seen in public health jobs to this day , they have added a wonderful contribution to our country in my view .
    I agree with you they do.

you do talk crap sometimes. you are a perfect example of what I mean, you're British but you love to slag the country off, like it makes you a better person. It doesn't it makes you two faced and a parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yeah, they have added a brilliant contribution

Which bit of that do you not think it true?

International

Which bit of that do you not think it true?
    Most of it.