+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: AT LEAST SOME GOOD ECONOMIC NEWS FOR THE UK

AT LEAST SOME GOOD ECONOMIC NEWS FOR THE UK

But not for Spain who are in the EU

Nissan to remain open in Sunderland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52829348

Renault going through major changes are expected to lose 15,000 jobs worldwide in a major restructure too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52845849

My stance on all this it's OK for green activists etc trying to make it a clean air planet but the consequences of this of removing diesel and petrol cars /vans etc is devastating to many peoples lives across the globe . I couldn't imagine Greta Thunberg and co worrying too much tho

Heisenberg

Re: AT LEAST SOME GOOD ECONOMIC NEWS FOR THE UK

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    But not for Spain who are in the EU

Nissan to remain open in Sunderland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52829348

Renault going through major changes are expected to lose 15,000 jobs worldwide in a major restructure too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52845849

My stance on all this it's OK for green activists etc trying to make it a clean air planet but the consequences of this of removing diesel and petrol cars /vans etc is devastating to many peoples lives across the globe . I couldn't imagine Greta Thunberg and co worrying too much tho
    "the consequences of this of removing diesel and petrol cars /vans etc is devastating to many peoples lives across the globe"

Isn't that a bit of a tired arguement now?

I'm far from being a green activist so this is just an observation...

Surely if all vehicles were manufactured to run on renewable energy, they would still need people to make them and their parts... or am I being an idiot as usual?

your not an idiot but the new electric vehicles will create new roles and jobs but will need alot less people to make as there will be less parts to make the new vehicles . With less parts to assemble automation will take over too

For every major Automotive OEM the law of averages says it creates 3 jobs in the supply chain

For instance Jaguar Land Rover employ around 30,000 in the UK right now but supports 90,000 jobs in the supply chain

Heisenberg

your not an idiot but the new electric vehicles will create new roles and jobs but will need alot less people to make as there will be less parts to make the new vehicles . With less parts to assemble automation will take over too

For every major Automotive OEM the law of averages says it creates 3 jobs in the supply chain

For instance Jaguar Land Rover employ around 30,000 in the UK right now but supports 90,000 jobs in the supply chain
    Thanks for that.

I guess a combustion engine is a bit more complicated that an electric one when you think about it.

It's a tough debate and not one that I tend to get involved in because I can see the arguments from both sides - but I guess the question to be asked is... Can the motor industry be allowed to continue to play a huge part in destroying the environment just because it provides jobs?

Couple of things about electric vehicles. For two thirds of people it isn't going to be practical to charge up overnight because of where they live. Also the Govt. will lose billions in tax revenues so have to tax the sale of said vehicles at source - which won't go down well with those low-mileage users. And thirdly, aren't the green credentials of electric cars open to debate - I read that making the batteries alone is energy intensive..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Couple of things about electric vehicles. For two thirds of people it isn't going to be practical to charge up overnight because of where they live. Also the Govt. will lose billions in tax revenues so have to tax the sale of said vehicles at source - which won't go down well with those low-mileage users. And thirdly, aren't the green credentials of electric cars open to debate - I read that making the batteries alone is energy intensive..
    I'm sure once the take up is secured and folk are moving around in their super up milk floats , tax will, be applied to electricity used . Someone has to pay for the taxes to support NHS,Police, Education and all, the consumable, wages and pensions that is required to support it , not forgetting the rising cost of the upkeep of the highways

There is a lot of land there , great airport access, poor road /rail though , slash business rates,build roads expand rail as it build jobs and prosperity , lets be different to what we currently are , can't rely on public services jobs, need to build up our private sector and inward investment quicker .