+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midsommar

Re: Midsommar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It was the theatrical version. Saw it in the cinema, actually. I might give the directors cut a go if you think it could change my opinion at all? Now I know how long it is, I think I'd be better prepared for sitting through it again.
    If you didn't particularly enjoy the theatrical edition, I wouldn't bother with the director's cut. The changes are only minor in nature - interesting for people, like me, who loved it the first time around, but not enough to change anyone's mind about it.

I haven't seen the new Invisible Man, wasn't even aware of it to be honest, but I will definitely buy it on release. Coincidentally, I watched the original once again fairly recently. The effects are just incredible for 1933. Very funny film in places too. Reason I watched it was I read the book for the first time late last year. It was brilliant.

I enjoyed Midsommar, a very different film, some great scenes, some very weird ones ( that sex scene!) and perhaps a touch long but well worth watching. I’m not sure about Wicker Man, it made a big impression on me when I was young but when I watched it with my kids a few years ago they thought it was very silly and with terrible acting!

Seen Ritual too, it was okay, the build up better than the ending but enjoyable enough. Saw the new Invisible Man in the cinema just before lockdown, wasn’t expecting much but was pleasantly surprised, it was pretty gripping.

Very difficult to make something different in the horror genre so full marks to Midsommar for achieving that at least

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If you didn't particularly enjoy the theatrical edition, I wouldn't bother with the director's cut. The changes are only minor in nature - interesting for people, like me, who loved it the first time around, but not enough to change anyone's mind about it.

I haven't seen the new Invisible Man, wasn't even aware of it to be honest, but I will definitely buy it on release. Coincidentally, I watched the original once again fairly recently. The effects are just incredible for 1933. Very funny film in places too. Reason I watched it was I read the book for the first time late last year. It was brilliant.
    I'm glad to learn that's the case because I spent an hour last night trying to find a way of streaming the directors cut. No fish.

I don't think I've ever seen the original in it's entirety. I'll have to put it on the list. I've enjoyed some of the other takes on subject material though... Chevy Chase's Memoirs of An Invisible Man was decent. Hollow Man in the early 2000s had it's moments too.

The new one is simply excellent though. There's a good Easter Egg in there for you too, as you've seen the original

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I first watched Midsommar back in January and really enjoyed it. Not entirely surprising as I'm a huge fan of the Wicker Man, but I thought Ari Aster's 'dread-soaked modern fairy tale' was excellent.

Last night I watched the Director's Cut, which extends the film from 147 minutes to 171 minutes. In my opinion, it made the story even better. Watching Midsommar at this time of year in this kind of heat felt just right.

Have any of you seen this film? If so, what were your thoughts?
    Just out of interest, do you know if the Director's Cut available to download from anywhere ? I've never been able to find on the regular places (Amazon, iTunes etc). Might just resort to buying the DVD.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Earnie's bench seat View Post
    Just out of interest, do you know if the Director's Cut available to download from anywhere ? I've never been able to find on the regular places (Amazon, iTunes etc). Might just resort to buying the DVD.
    I can answer that as my last email will attest

Unless you have an iTunes account that's based in the USA, you won't be able to download it anywhere. Seems ridiculous, really.

If you liked this movie you should check out FESTEN danish movie or anything by lars von triers