+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BANDS OR ACTS DISAPPOINTING LIVE

BANDS OR ACTS DISAPPOINTING LIVE

In no particular order:

Eric Clapton - excellent player but zero personality live. Could have stayed home and put on one of his records instead.

Queen - Not surprising given the vocal complexities of their songs. Freddie in particular struggled to reach many of the notes and Brian May's playing wasn't that inspiring.

Black Sabbath - First time they were great, second time they had major technical problems with the sound which could not be rectified on the night.

Gary Moore at St David's Hall - the balance of the sound was all wrong. The bass was far too loud, which meant that all GM's solo's were drowned out. Me and a mate even went to a different part of the auditorium to see if the sound was better. It wasn't.

Rainbow - Yet again Mr Blackmore was a great letdown live. Played for himself not his audience.

Re: BANDS OR ACTS DISAPPOINTING LIVE

I'll select 5 for you.....

Public Image Ltd, Cardiff Top Rank (December 1983): I'd been really looking forward to this gig, but it was just punk rock panto. Lydon and his band of of session musicians were taking the piss. Very poor. I've seen PiL many times during the last ten or fifteen years and, although erratic, they've generally been pretty good. But they were crap in 1983.

Happy Mondays, Glastonbury (June 1990): this was a band I was excited about seeing, but they were just plain boring. Simple as that.

Oasis, Gloucester Leisure Centre (October 1995): I'd seen Oasis live several times before this gig and they'd been pretty good on each occasion, but this time they were very stale. I never bothered with them again after this show.

Stone Roses, Newport Centre (December 1995): this gig has developed its own legend due to crowd violence, but the headliners themselves were tedious. A real yawnfest.

Eels, Bristol O2 Academy (March 2013): I liked plenty of this band's studio material, but I just didn't 'get' them live. The venue was so packed it was really uncomfortable and, although they went down well with a crowd mainly comprised of devoted followers, Eels left me cold.

Leo Sayer - booked at Stoke campus of North Staffs Poly just before his breskthrough single, aopeared on Top of the Pops, tried to get out of booking saying the stage was too small, booking switched to larger stage atStafford campus, he did a few songs, obviously thought he had suddenly become too good for colleges.
    Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Dukes - springsteen-esque music, but were shit as a support act for Led Zep at Knebworth '79.

Hootie and the Blowfish............................Too interested in playing to, and distracted by, a rowdy USA audience but awful anyway.

Hawkwind.......................................... ........Disappointing instrumentalists.

Status Quo............................................... ..Monotonous and repetitive 12 bar blues but got free entrance. Wouldn't pay to see them.

Stereophonics..................................... ...... Free entrance offset disappointment.

Elton John.............................................. ...Just couldn't get into it.

Helen Shapiro........................................... Poor acoustics at venue spoiled an otherwise talented performer.

The Buckinghams....................................... Disappointing despite Fleetwood Mac connections again spoiled by screaming old women at USA venue.

Just about everyone seen at the Motorpoint Arena as the acoustics were/are dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    In no particular order:

Eric Clapton - excellent player but zero personality live. Could have stayed home and put on one of his records instead.

Queen - Not surprising given the vocal complexities of their songs. Freddie in particular struggled to reach many of the notes and Brian May's playing wasn't that inspiring.

Black Sabbath - First time they were great, second time they had major technical problems with the sound which could not be rectified on the night.

Gary Moore at St David's Hall - the balance of the sound was all wrong. The bass was far too loud, which meant that all GM's solo's were drowned out. Me and a mate even went to a different part of the auditorium to see if the sound was better. It wasn't.

Rainbow - Yet again Mr Blackmore was a great letdown live. Played for himself not his audience.
    Agree about Clapton.
    Saw him at an outdoor concert in Dubai about 4-5 years ago.
    Came on, started playing, went through his set and said goodnight at the end.
    Did not say one word throughout the set and no song introductions.
    His playing was great but the whole concert seemed dull and uninteresting

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agree about Clapton.
    Saw him at an outdoor concert in Dubai about 4-5 years ago.
    Came on, started playing, went through his set and said goodnight at the end.
    Did not say one word throughout the set and no song introductions.
    His playing was great but the whole concert seemed dull and uninteresting
    That's exactly as I saw it DubaiDai.

Saw him at one of his much vaunted concerts at the Albert Hall. Left me totally cold. An excellent guitarist but no front man.

Stone Roses - MSG, New York- June 2026 - Great in parts, but by no means a classic. John Squire stole the show. Ian Brown seemed subdued at times.

Gun Club - Electric Ballroom, London - 1983? - Jefrrey Lee Pierce was wasted.

MBV - France - 2008 - Had an off night.

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Multiple times pre 2008 - Anton was wasted/ranting/fighting

The Creation - 2001 - Manitoba's, New York - Just awful. Very sad.

Cocteau Twins - 1982-86 - Several times - Technical/Vocal promlems

Bands that have never disappointed -Siouxsie and the Banshees, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Damned, SFA.

Has anyone seen the Sex Pistols in the last 30 years? I imagine it would have been pretty great to see them with proper monitors/sound mixing etc. When they came to NYC they played an outside venue near the beach. **** that noise.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Stone Roses - MSG, New York- June 2026 - Great in parts, but by no means a classic.
    The Stone Roses - still boring in 2026!

red hot chilli peppers after they started cashing in ..californication.
    faith no more ...fecking dreadful in copenhagen
    black grape...all the band were off their tits

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The Stone Roses - still boring in 2026!

2016. The night before the Wales v Belgium in the Euros. But you are probably right about 2026.

I saw the Cocteau Twins at the students union in Cardiff about 1993 or 1994. They were good buy, as said above, suffered from poor sound. I would imagine it would be difficult to replicate their studio sound.

Stereophonics - first time I saw them they were great, it was free at the Cardiff Weekend in Bute Park. After that boring, and an egotistical front man (And a Leeds fan!).

Roxy Music at the Capitol Cardiff sometime in the 1970s , ok, but when Ferry left the stage and they did some instrumental number they were great, then Ferry cam back on and it was all about him. I saw them loads of times but that was the one time I didn't;nt enjoy it.

Van Morrison- miserable git.

Bootleg Beatles, last December in St David's Hall. The crowd were all on their feet at the end, but I thought they were just OK, could have listened to the records. Same with any tributes act.

Donny Osmond about 10-15 years ago. I was made to go by my wife. He came on stage , all the women stood up screaming, I looked along the rows of seats and there were two other blokes just sat there drinking beer. Two hours is along time when you're bored.

Elton John at CCS last summer. Football grounds do not make good concert venues. It's all about the money though. He was very lacklustre compared to the 7 or 8 times I've seen hime before (my wife made me go to these too!).

Simple Minds - Birmigham NEC was a lame affair

Went to the bar half way through the set and stayed there !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Simple Minds - Birmigham NEC was a lame affair

Went to the bar half way through the set and stayed there !
    How long ago was this? I saw them about 5 years ago and I was surprised at how good they were.

I forgot, I saw the Psychedelic Furs about 15 years ago. LAME! I saw them again a couple of years ago and they were good. Richard Butler does ham it up a bit mind.

Another vote for Stereophonics

How long ago was this? I saw them about 5 years ago and I was surprised at how good they were.
    must have been late 80's early 90's . At that time they very big and sold millions of records .Liked Promised you a miracle and the new gold dream album was half decent

saw the bunnymen around the same time at the NEC and they were great live

In no particular order:

I enjoyed seeing Clapton live but agree about the lack of personality.
    Rainbow were disappointing because they only played about half an hour
    Pink Floyd were zero personality, barely acknowledged that the audience was present and played everything exactly as it is on the album.
    Van Morrison was a grumpy old git singing out of tune.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Leo Sayer - booked at Stoke campus of North Staffs Poly just before his breskthrough single, aopeared on Top of the Pops, tried to get out of booking saying the stage was too small, booking switched to larger stage atStafford campus, he did a few songs, obviously thought he had suddenly become too good for colleges.
    Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Dukes - springsteen-esque music, but were shit as a support act for Led Zep at Knebworth '79.
    I was there, don't remember South Side Johnny though

UB40 at the NEC many years ago were a let down, bad sound quality.

Paul Weller in Motorpoint 2019

Seen him around 10 times and always been decent live but he just went through the motions last visit to Cardiff. Father Time has caught up with him. His energy had disappeared. He also seems hellbent on playing new material which has got shitter and shitter over the years and no one in the audience is feeling it. After 40+ years in the business it’s no shame to be out of material just play the fans what they want ffs.

Oasis around 95/96ish in Cardiff - Liam ****ed off stage about 30 minutes into the gig saying he was unwell then he was a window in Jury’s hotel and playing up to the crowd were singing up to him. I’m like hang on a ****ing a minute I thought you was ill? I was pissed off cos I had to pay 4 time’s face value for a ticket.

In no particular order:

Prefab Sprout, Cardiff University, November 1985 - beautiful songs, but weirdly anaemic when I saw them. There is even a bootleg online that you can listen to....

I'd agree with Cardiff 55 about the Strereophonics and Van Morrison, but I wasn't expecting a great deal from either because I've never really "got" the former and, although that doesn't apply to the latter, his reputation went before him. However, I travelled to Ashton Gate to watch the Rolling Stones in 1982 and the National Stadium in 1987 to watch the Pretenders with very high expectations which only made the miserable and boring stuff they both provided as they went through the motions even more of a let down.

Stone Roses - MSG, New York- June 2026 - Great in parts, but by no means a classic. John Squire stole the show. Ian Brown seemed subdued at times.

Gun Club - Electric Ballroom, London - 1983? - Jefrrey Lee Pierce was wasted.

MBV - France - 2008 - Had an off night.

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Multiple times pre 2008 - Anton was wasted/ranting/fighting

The Creation - 2001 - Manitoba's, New York - Just awful. Very sad.

Cocteau Twins - 1982-86 - Several times - Technical/Vocal promlems

Bands that have never disappointed -Siouxsie and the Banshees, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Damned, SFA.

Has anyone seen the Sex Pistols in the last 30 years? I imagine it would have been pretty great to see them with proper monitors/sound mixing etc. When they came to NYC they played an outside venue near the beach. **** that noise.
    I seen Echo & the Bunnymen at the mercury lounge a little club down on east-houston back in 97 the after party was mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I seen Echo & the Bunnymen at the mercury lounge a little club down on east-houston back in 97 the after party was mental.
    They played at the Mercury Lounge? That must have been amazing. Was it a secret show or something?

First Team

Last year I went to see Nick Mason’s Saucer full of Secrets at the Roundhouse.
    Arguably, the worst few hours of watching entertainment I have experienced ,along with Les Miserables, but at least there is a warning in the name of that show!
    In fairness, I was never into Pink Floyd and those that were throughly enjoyed the whole thing.
    Bizarrely, one of the guitarists was the fella from Spandau Ballet and they were fantastic when I saw them years ago.