+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Protesting, and the power of the media.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Protesting, and the power of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I saw a photo of the Liverpool players in a circle on bended knees, apparently as a protests against the death of George Floyd. A nice gesture and shows us all what a kind, caring bunch of young men they are.

But I wondered, why does no-one - least of all footballers, celebrities, the BBC, some mainstream newspapers, why not the slightest protest against the Chinese.
    I'm amazed you have to ask this question. From the point of view of your average UK citizen, do you think the two situations are even remotely comparable?

The fact is that pretty much everybody in the UK watches American films, watches American television, listens to American music, reads American books, watches American sports, etc. Whether we like it or not, we have a shared culture to a large degree. We speak the same language. According to our politicians, the two countries have a special relationship.

The history of racism in America is very well-documented. Pretty much everyone in this country is aware of it or at least aware of certain aspects of it.

Blatantly obviously, China and the Chinese people in general are a very different proposition as far as the average British citizen is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm amazed you have to ask this question. From the point of view of your average UK citizen, do you think the two situations are even remotely comparable?

The fact is that pretty much everybody in the UK watches American films, watches American television, listens to American music, reads American books, watches American sports, etc. Whether we like it or not, we have a shared culture to a large degree. We speak the same language. According to our politicians, the two countries have a special relationship.

The history of racism in America is very well-documented. Pretty much everyone in this country is aware of it or at least aware of certain aspects of it.

Blatantly obviously, China and the Chinese people in general are a very different proposition as far as the average British citizen is concerned.
    We buy, use, utilize, Chinese goods and services every second of our lives. In the real, tangible sense China is more real to our everyday lives than the USA. You mentioned 'watch, read, listens etc..'. That's exactly, 100% the point I was making - "the power of the media "..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We buy, use, utilize, Chinese goods and services every second of our lives. In the real, tangible sense China is more real to our everyday lives than the USA. You mentioned 'watch, read, listens etc..'. That's exactly, 100% the point I was making - "the power of the media "..
    It's got nothing to do with the power of the media. It's got everything to do with the way in which British culture is intertwined with American culture, and has been for centuries.

It's got nothing to do with the power of the media. It's got everything to do with the way in which British culture is intertwined with American culture, and has been for centuries.
    He clearly mentioned the BBC and mainstream newspapers, and that is where most people get their information that informs their opinions and view of the world..

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He clearly mentioned the BBC and mainstream newspapers, and that is where most people get their information that informs their opinions and view of the world..
    Most people? That's debatable, but for the sake of argument let's say it's true. It still wasn't the question he asked, which was: "Why does no-one - least of all footballers, celebrities, the BBC, some mainstream newspapers..... protest against the Chinese."

He seems to believe it's down to "the power of the media." I don't agree at all. I believe it has far more to do with shared history, culture and identity.

Most people? That's debatable, but for the sake of argument let's say it's true. It still wasn't the question he asked, which was: "Why does no-one - least of all footballers, celebrities, the BBC, some mainstream newspapers..... protest against the Chinese."

He seems to believe it's down to "the power of the media." I don't agree at all. I believe it has far more to do with shared history, culture and identity.
    jon1959 is a smart guy. If the power of the media doesn't exist, where did jon get his narrative from, and why does it match the false narrative that the mainstream media are promoting?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    jon1959 is a smart guy. If the power of the media doesn't exist, where did jon get his narrative from, and why does it match the false narrative that the mainstream media are promoting?
    Who said 'the power of the media' doesn't exist? I certainly didn't.