+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other Clubs You've Got A Soft Spot For.

Re: Other Clubs You've Got A Soft Spot For.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Exact same 3 years as I was there. First year I was in QEQM Hall and next two years in Southsea. All 3 City games down there were great days with the clock game going down in history. I panicked after that game though when the police marched us all back to Fratton Railway station, to stick us on the train. They wouldn't belief me that I lived there. I had to give them my full evening itinerary of where I was going on the piss before they'd believe me. Nell Gwynn, Bold Forester, The apsly, Cambridge, Owens, The Parade. They all got a visit that night!!
    I did Geography. You? Inter departmental football was great.

Saw some great bands at the Union and Guildhall and loved Friday/Saturdays at Southsea Piet - The Albert Tavern and Gaiety Bar. We spent a ton of time at The India Arms and Barley Mow. Happy happy days

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I did Geography. You? Inter departmental football was great.

Saw some great bands at the Union and Guildhall and loved Friday/Saturdays at Southsea Piet - The Albert Tavern and Gaiety Bar. We spent a ton of time at The India Arms and Barley Mow. Happy happy days
    I read economics over on the Milton site. We no doubt played football against each other then over the 3 years out at Great Salterns, or at QEQM Hall. Geography had a few sides if I remember and weren" they run by a lad called Keith Price? I only remember that as it was the name of my best mate.

Definitely the best 3 years of my life down there on the south coast.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Queen of the South,I no not why.
    'Ark at 'er...

Peterborough for me as its the first and only time I have been arrested while trying to enter a sports ground while under the influence of alcohol.
    I wasn't causing any trouble but most of our lot were. It was about 91/92 season when we invaded there pitch?
    I was walking into the car park outside the ground and I got asked where I was going. I said to watch the game and the police arrested me for being under the influence of drink.
    Got a 6 month ban from every ground in the country from May. So missed half the ban anyway as there was no football during the summer. 😂😂
    Went uptowatch City again another time and stumbled upon the best beer festival I have ever ever been to even to this day.
    So have made it an annual jolly boys weekend for the last 25 ish years to travel up and have a good laugh on the bank holiday August weekend with around 4-5 of my mates every year.
    It's got to the stage now where we all take our Mrs with us as well. So Peterborough is like my spiritual home.
    I actually try and travel up at least twice a year and visit my favourite pub near the ground which is on a floating barge called Charters bar. It has a massive beer garden outside based on a bavarian style beer garden with live bands underneath a bandstand. I love it up there. It's a real ale lovers paradise. They do like all there real Ales up that side of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Ditto on Pompey for almost exactly the same reasons.. I was a student there from 82-85.. Fratton Park was a great place to watch a game back then. I lived in Milton, North End, Southsea and Bateson Halls of Residence in my time there.

In 83 we both got promoted... We played them towards the end of the season and drew 0-0. I remember the team bus driving through the street that day and Bob Hatton in particular waving at us as they went past. Was also the day that city fans dismantled the clock at the back of the Milton End.

That season was also the season Newport looked like they’d go up - they beat us 1-0 at Somerton and looked certainties but fell away... they never got close again
    I remember that season well, seen Cwnty quite a few times that season and I particularly remember Cwnty beating Kaardiff in that Easter game but after that it all went wrong for them, Kaardiff won their games in the run in and Cwnty lost theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Juventus. Bought a knock off Juve kit from someone who'd been to Italy when I was 15 and have consistently bought knock off Juve kits since. My girlfriend bought me my first real one last year so I've currently got 2 knock off and 1 real
    I got a Fiorentina shirt from a street market out in Florence in homage to Batigol, he always tended to score against English teams and England.

People supporting their team in the shadow of the big clubs

For example bury , oldham , rochdale in the man United area

Brentford, fulham , leyton orient in london

Barnsley , huddersfield , rotherham etc in the shadow of leeds , sheffield wednesday etc

Hartlepool , Darlington in the shadows of newcastle , sunderland , boro

And any team that turns over liverpool and united so the idiots in south wales who support them have a bad day

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I read economics over on the Milton site. We no doubt played football against each other then over the 3 years out at Great Salterns, or at QEQM Hall. Geography had a few sides if I remember and weren" they run by a lad called Keith Price? I only remember that as it was the name of my best mate.

Definitely the best 3 years of my life down there on the south coast.
    It was Keith Price. He was or certainly had been with Forest. Geography had at least 3 sides. I flitted between 1&2. Some outstanding players in that Geog 1 team though. Most of my mates were in 2 and we did 3 fantastic football tours in the Student Union minibus... Kingston, Manchester and Cardiff.

Heart Of Midlothian, no Scottish connections just love the fact they hate Celtic and love their maroon and white, their badge and their passion.Also not forgetting the way they have been relegated from the SPL this season with 8 games and 24 points left to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by TERRY BLUE View Post
    Heart Of Midlothian, no Scottish connections just love the fact they hate Celtic and love their maroon and white, their badge and their passion.Also not forgetting the way they have been relegated from the SPL this season with 8 games and 24 points left to play for.
    What passion? Anytime I've watched Hearts highlights this season their kip has been half empty. Been rank rotten all season and thoroughly deserve getting relegated.

Merthyr and Scotlands nine in a row establishment club for me.

Scunthorpe and Oldham.

My first ever football match was Scunthorpe v Gillingham on Boxing Day 1991 (followed shortly afterwards by my first City game at home to Blackpool in March 1992), my father's family are from the area and my cousin is still a ST holder there. My uncle's business used to sponsor matchdays at Scunny.

Oldham also as our family holds a £1 share in the club! My grandfather supported them and watched them regularly during the post-war era until he moved to Leicestershire (he also used to watch Leicester a lot). He was also a closet Manc (United) and used to take my gran to Old Trafford. Invested in a 95-96 away shirt as a lockdown impulse purchase.

I'd love to go back to both clubs for a day out and experience some proper lower league football. I expect it'll be shit

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Union Deportiva Logroñés

Happy days in times past

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UD_Logro%C3%B1%C3%A9s

Banned

Forest and Wolves for me

I used to support forest in the 80s , had 2 shirts and a scarf

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Forest and Wolves for me

I used to support forest in the 80s , had 2 shirts and a scarf

Well, I never had you down as a SCAB !!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I was only little tone lol

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I was only little tone lol

I used to get them on my knees when I fell off my bike

Hereford (United) FC, my dad's team, I was there for "that" goal & the Ricky George one
    Forest Green Rovers, as I've played against them many times on their way up, my what might have been club
    Bristol Rovers, as like Jon, I lived close by during my college years, a double chance to dislike the other mob
    Newport County, as I used to watch them when City were away
    Gloucester City just to p!ss off the Cheltenham Village supporters
    Cinderford Town keeping it real in the days of City in Red & Smudge is the Asst. Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Hereford FC for me and Nottingham Forrest. Hereford because it's an odd place and i absolutely love their little ground and Forst probably because of Cloughie, his success and that it's a very unfashionable City-Plus the badge, simple but to the point.
    Same for me, and also Newport County (used to be a Cardiff City retirement home, they had so many ex-Bluebirds), and also Forest Green, after watching City play a few friendlies there. Always check out Merthyr's results as well.

For me it’s....

1. Man U. My adolescence offered me George Best. It was out of my hands....
    2. Celtic. 60s/70s. Vaguely Irish surname. Great kit.
    3. Portsmouth. I used to be pals with a guy from the IOW. We used to trade away trips. Sometime city sometime Pompey. Seen them on on 9 different grounds!
    4. Newcastle. Great place.
    5. Sunderland. Great support.
    6. Arsenal. George Graham etc. That team played properly.
    7. Cardiff MET. European football on my doorstep.
    8. Bridgend Street. Splott boy see....
    9. Brazil 1970.
    10. Juventus. Great kit. The Italian for Real Madrid.

Also a soft spot for Red Star Belgrade. Hate Rangers, Linfield, Team GB, Liverpool, Bristol C&R. Pleased when Southampton loose too!

Phoenix Rising FC (USL) season ticket holder
    CPD Bangor 1876

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    For me it’s....

1. Man U. My adolescence offered me George Best. It was out of my hands....
    2. Celtic. 60s/70s. Vaguely Irish surname. Great kit.
    3. Portsmouth. I used to be pals with a guy from the IOW. We used to trade away trips. Sometime city sometime Pompey. Seen them on on 9 different grounds!
    4. Newcastle. Great place.
    5. Sunderland. Great support.
    6. Arsenal. George Graham etc. That team played properly.
    7. Cardiff MET. European football on my doorstep.
    8. Bridgend Street. Splott boy see....
    9. Brazil 1970.
    10. Juventus. Great kit. The Italian for Real Madrid.

Also a soft spot for Red Star Belgrade. Hate Rangers, Linfield, Team GB, Liverpool, Bristol C&R. Pleased when Southampton loose too!
    So other than that you don't support anyone then?

Millwall
    Derry City
    Albion Rovers
    Feyenoord

International

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Millwall
    Derry City
    Albion Rovers
    Feyenoord
    I went to feyenoord 50 years ago to watch them play Newcastle in the Fairs Cup. It was a fantastic Stadium by British standards even then.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I went to feyenoord 50 years ago to watch them play Newcastle in the Fairs Cup. It was a fantastic Stadium by British standards even then.
    I’ve done de Kuip twice.

Feyenoord v Ajax early 90s, Bergkamp playing for Ajax that was interesting as I was in the away end. Watched Andy Cole score a hat trick there late is 90s, started off in the home section ended up in the away section as the locals can get a bit feisty.

Fantastic stadium although it had much changed from my two visits in relation to terracing. A passionate, hands on support.