+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gazza

Gazza

Programme on euro 96 now

In my opinion he was the most gifted all round player of my generation

Will never forget the goal he scored for spurs against pompey in the fa cup

Won the ball on the edge of his own area , beat a couple of players , passed it out to the wing then went on a run all the way into the box to meet a cross which he powered home with a fantastic diving header

Sheer genius

Re: Gazza

Would you, though?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Would you, though?
    Well on a dark night who knows

Really sad how it ended out for him , alcoholism , serious mental health problems

Isn't it weird that there was a time when top English players would play for Rangers?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Isn't it weird that there was a time when top English players would play for Rangers?
    Butcher, Roberts, Woods, Steven & Stevens all joined when Souness was manager, the Huns were throwing around money they’d fiddled from her majesty’s Government and English clubs were banned from Europe due to Heysel.

Regarding Gazza, great talent who produced special moments but not really sure he deserves all the hype he sometimes gets.

The shame is he was used and spat out by people, the media and everyone else. He doesn’t help himself mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Butcher, Roberts, Woods, Steven & Stevens all joined when Souness was manager, the Huns were throwing around money they’d fiddled from her majesty’s Government and English clubs were banned from Europe due to Heysel.

Regarding Gazza, great talent who produced special moments but not really sure he deserves all the hype he sometimes gets.

The shame is he was used and spat out by people, the media and everyone else. He doesn’t help himself mind.
    I know he acted like an idiot but after he retired from the game he developed serious addiction and mental health problems , really sad to see him now, he looks shot to bits

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Programme on euro 96 now

In my opinion he was the most gifted all round player of my generation

Will never forget the goal he scored for spurs against pompey in the fa cup

Won the ball on the edge of his own area , beat a couple of players , passed it out to the wing then went on a run all the way into the box to meet a cross which he powered home with a fantastic diving header

Sheer genius
    Just a thought for you regarding Gazza, he was a loose cannon on the field at times. If England had made that World Cup final or Euro final he'd have more than likely lost it and dived in recklessly. His antics before he got seriously injured in the 1991 FA cup final were ridiculous, he was clearly hyper. At Rangers he was constantly getting booked and was no stranger to being sent off.

I guess that's the risk you took with him. Brilliant and unplayable at times, a total liability on others. Funny how that's the case as often as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just a thought for you regarding Gazza, he was a loose cannon on the field at times. If England had made that World Cup final or Euro final he'd have more than likely lost it and dived in recklessly. His antics before he got seriously injured in the 1991 FA cup final were ridiculous, he was clearly hyper. At Rangers he was constantly getting booked and was no stranger to being sent off.

I guess that's the risk you took with him. Brilliant and unplayable at times, a total liability on others. Funny how that's the case as often as it is.
    He should have been shown a red card when being stretchered off in that Cup Final, Spurs should have been down to ten men.

Somebody on the Quickly Kevin podcast (maybe Carlton Palmer) said gazza had been out boozing heavily the night before the Portsmouth game and was severely hungover when he scored that brilliant goal.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He should have been shown a red card when being stretchered off in that Cup Final, Spurs should have been down to ten men.
    Absolutely. I was looking at that tackle in the WC semi from 1990 and I've seen players sent off for those in this day and age. Definitely a booking.

I was at that Final - Pre-match Gazza was hitting pin point 40 yard balls into the marching band and falling about laughing with every hit. Very funny.

He would have been on a ban if they had reached the Italia '90 final. That's what all the crying was about.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Somebody on the Quickly Kevin podcast (maybe Carlton Palmer) said gazza had been out boozing heavily the night before the Portsmouth game and was severely hungover when he scored that brilliant goal.
    Danny Baker would say of Gazza that he couldn't drink, would have two and he'd be asleep and liked staying in. Perhaps he's just trying to protect him or both accounts are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Danny Baker would say of Gazza that he couldn't drink, would have two and he'd be asleep and liked staying in. Perhaps he's just trying to protect him or both accounts are true.
    Protecting himself most probably. He was one who liked to be seen out boozing with Gazza at the height of his fame.

International

He would have been on a ban if they had reached the Italia '90 final. That's what all the crying was about.
    You got that in one. He was crying for himself not for the people he was letting down.

Reminds me does anyone have an image or an actual “I’d cry if I were English” t shirt?

Great player and a character with sadly well documented troubles. I don’t think a player of that “type” (flawed genius?) could get near a comparable level that he reached nowadays.

Yes, I know. I was talking hypothetically.

I often wonder how all the "legends" of the game would fair in the modern era, particularly in the Prem. Would they perhaps be seen as an average player?

Were the likes of Gazza in the 90s better than Rush in the 80s and was he better than Georgie Best in the late 60s/early 70s etc, etc?

It's probably an unfair question based on many things such as modern players' lifestyles and the quality of the playing conditions these days, even compared to the early 2000s.

Most of us have been watching the re-runs of great matches over the past few weeks. I was watching the 1966 World Cup final on the weekend and the quality of the play was crap, perhaps comparable to a League Two game.

As poor as those old matches seem now though, they're still great to watch because the seem raw if you know what I mean?

The Gazza documentary on Netflix is very good. What the press did to the fella was disgraceful. His own family were part of his downfall too nqat.

Could have been sent off twice in that cup final. The challenge on Gary Parker before he tried to decapitate Gary Charles was a shocker too.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I often wonder how all the "legends" of the game would fair in the modern era, particularly in the Prem. Would they perhaps be seen as an average player?

Were the likes of Gazza in the 90s better than Rush in the 80s and was he better than Georgie Best in the late 60s/early 70s etc, etc?

It's probably an unfair question based on many things such as modern players' lifestyles and the quality of the playing conditions these days, even compared to the early 2000s.

Most of us have been watching the re-runs of great matches over the past few weeks. I was watching the 1966 World Cup final on the weekend and the quality of the play was crap, perhaps comparable to a League Two game.

As poor as those old matches seem now though, they're still great to watch because the seem raw if you know what I mean?
    It’s impossible to compare players across eras in most sports as sports are constantly evolving and improving.

I think the mark of any great player is how did they fare in their own generation.

For 4/5 years Maradona was the best player in the world bar none. No-one come close. But he was a cocaine addict at Napoli and partied from Sunday to Wednesday. He wouldn’t be anywhere near fit enough in today’s game.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I think the mark of any great player is how did they fare in their own generation.
    Nail on the head.

Maradona , best , gazza , moments of genius in amongst battling personal demons

Frank Worthington was a very gifted player but spent most of the time drinking and chasing women

Duncan McKenzie was another enigmatic player , some of his flick ons and touches were sublime

In a minor wayv tomlin has that enigmatic prescience

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Maradona , best , gazza , moments of genius in amongst battling personal demons

Frank Worthington was a very gifted player but spent most of the time drinking and chasing women

Duncan McKenzie was another enigmatic player , some of his flick ons and touches were sublime

In a minor wayv tomlin has that enigmatic prescience
    Not sure Albert Larmour would agree with your McKenzie quote