Re: Pubs You Only Went In Once For A Reason

Went to a pub quiz in the Bulldog once.
    The first question was "who are you ****ing looking at?"

International

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Went to a pub quiz in the Bulldog once.
    The first question was "who are you ****ing looking at?"
    Sounds about right. The correct answer was "I dunno, there's no name on the collar"

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Glad you are keeping well Max! #jacklivesmatter
    Now this is funny lol

The welcome to town in bridgend was rough

First Team

Many years ago, I was waiting for a train from Cardiff and honestly didn't know - I think it was called The Red Dragon.

First Team

The Admiral Benbow in Cadoxton?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The welcome to town in bridgend was rough
    Not to a Barry boy.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    O once had to go in the Cardiff Arms in Splott to give a mate his wages, a relative of Billy Boston. When I walked in I couldn't see him but everyone was looking at me and I had a few hundred quid in my pocket. I asked the barman if he had been in and once I mentioned his name the place relaxed a bit.
    I'm Ronnie Pickering!

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond View Post
    Who?
    RONNIE F**KING PICKERING

The Bulldog was my local in terms of distance from where I lived at least, but I didn't get in there too often - not that I ever saw any trouble in there mind (Don Murray and the England prop Barry Nelmes who used to play for Cardiff used to get in there now and again). I've also been in most of the "dodgy" pubs in Cardiff named in this thread and always felt safe.

I spent a New Years Eve in the Foresters and would always go in there on a Canton pub crawl, got in most of the pubs with a reputation down the docks while I worked down there, used to be a regular in the Custom House on rugby international nights because it was one of the few pubs in town where you could get served quick and never had a problem in the Bridge - I saw more fights in the Corp, the Maltings and the pub opposite the Kings Castle that's name escapes me at the moment than I ever saw in those other pubs I've mentioned.

Never been in the Dusty Forge mind, so cannot comment on that. The one pub where I felt intimidated in was a place around the back of Neville Street where the place went silent as soon as me and a couple of my mates walked in and we soon agreed it should be a case of one, very quick, pint and then on to somewhere else - can't remember its name now.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Bulldog was my local in terms of distance from where I lived at least, but I didn't get in there too often - not that I ever saw any trouble in there mind (Don Murray and the England prop Barry Nelmes who used to play for Cardiff used to get in there now and again). I've also been in most of the "dodgy" pubs in Cardiff named in this thread and always felt safe.

I spent a New Years Eve in the Foresters and would always go in there on a Canton pub crawl, got in most of the pubs with a reputation down the docks while I worked down there, used to be a regular in the Custom House on rugby international nights because it was one of the few pubs in town where you could get served quick and never had a problem in the Bridge - I saw more fights in the Corp, the Maltings and the pub opposite the Kings Castle that's name escapes me at the moment than I ever saw in those other pubs I've mentioned.

Never been in the Dusty Forge mind, so cannot comment on that. The one pub where I felt intimidated in was a place around the back of Neville Street where the place went silent as soon as me and a couple of my mates walked in and we soon agreed it should be a case of one, very quick, pint and then on to somewhere else - can't remember its name now.
    I agree with you about the Custom. The pub behind Neville street may have been the Mitre, but again it was a good place if you behaved, or the one in Craddock Street. (Oddly not called The Craddock which was even worse and was on Ninian Park Road).

The pub opposite the King's Castle was the Exchange. It was a good boozer in the 60/70s but it became a druggies haunt in the 90's and when a new landlord took over and tried to clean it up she was assaulted on numerous occasions and glassed. Brains closed it down and sold the building. I think its a restaurant now.

The Wyndham in Merthyr is a unique experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not to a Barry boy.

Barry has some tough pubs and some tough characters

But it does not have exclusivity on that matter

Bridgend and the surrounding valleys has some of the poorest areas in the uk with a lot of deprivation and violence

There are plenty of rough pubs in the area

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The Wyndham in Merthyr is a unique experience.
    There was a programme on that place

Didnt it have an old framed cardiff city shirt on the wall behind two blokes drinking with no teeth ?

I agree with you about the Custom. The pub behind Neville street may have been the Mitre, but again it was a good place if you behaved, or the one in Craddock Street. (Oddly not called The Craddock which was even worse and was on Ninian Park Road).

The pub opposite the King's Castle was the Exchange. It was a good boozer in the 60/70s but it became a druggies haunt in the 90's and when a new landlord took over and tried to clean it up she was assaulted on numerous occasions and glassed. Brains closed it down and sold the building. I think its a restaurant now.
    The exchange , that was the pub a minibus full of swansea fans tried to attack and ran off after getting a beating

I mean what did they tell their mates they got home ?

Grew up in Canton and drank in them all without any probs. But in my darting days two places come to mind where you knew you were on a temporary visa.One was the Bridge Inn and the other was the Highfields on Jackrow Sq although the Leather Bottle in Pentrabane could be tricky but as my family hail from fairwater I was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Grew up in Canton and drank in them all without any probs. But in my darting days two places come to mind where you knew you were on a temporary visa.One was the Bridge Inn and the other was the Highfields on Jackrow Sq although the Leather Bottle in Pentrabane could be tricky but as my family hail from fairwater I was ok.
    The leather bottle with all those blocks of flats around it

Strange name for a pub

International

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Canton used to be a good drinking place. People used to do the Canton mile from the ty Pwll coch to the Westgate, 1/2 a pint in each one (A pint if you were that good, (with little detours to the Butchers , the Robin Hood and the Half way sometimes - not to mention the Romilly and the Conway). It was a bigger challenge than you might think

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve heard The Cornwall may not reopen.
    sincerely hope you're wrong!

So glad I lived in the era that I lived in, pubs, clubs, local sport, football & baseball, City shite but a good laugh and the small crowds gave you an ‘exclusive fan’ type feeling, unique characters about, something that’s been severely diluted due the demise of the pub, stop ons in the afternoon, never mind the night, Wednesday league football, always turn up at Pontcanna and get a game if you were off work. Great days which will never come back, thank God I witnessed and took part in it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There was a programme on that place

Didnt it have an old framed cardiff city shirt on the wall behind two blokes drinking with no teeth ?
    Loads of boxing memorabilia. Think it was on Britains toughest pubs or something like that.

Yes, of course it was the Exchange. I got in there more in the late eighties/early nineties and can't say I was much of a fan of the place.

I think it must be the Mitre we went in, but I always think of the place that served scrumpy in Llandaff when I hear that name and it didn't make me think that's right like I did with the Exchange when you mentioned the name.

Canton used to be a good drinking place. People used to do the Canton mile from the ty Pwll coch to the Westgate, 1/2 a pint in each one (A pint if you were that good, (with little detours to the Butchers , the Robin Hood and the Half way sometimes - not to mention the Romilly and the Conway). It was a bigger challenge than you might think
    Our version of the Canton Mile tended to concentrate on the Brains pubs, so we'd start at the Vic, maybe have one at the Clive and detour to the Duke of Clarence, then it would be the Insole, Butchers, Canton or Napier, we'd go in the Lamb and Flag before it shut and then one or two out of the Foresters, Kings Castle and Exchange, on to the Wyndham and finish at the Westgate - the pints were making way for the occasional half by the end!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Our version of the Canton Mile tended to concentrate on the Brains pubs, so we'd start at the Vic, maybe have one at the Clive and detour to the Duke of Clarence, then it would be the Insole, Butchers, Canton or Napier, we'd go in the Lamb and Flag before it shut and then one or two out of the Foresters, Kings Castle and Exchange, on to the Wyndham and finish at the Westgate - the pints were making way for the occasional half by the end!
    yes that's pretty similar to the canton mile we tended to do. Victoria park - Westgate with as many pubs along the way as we could find.
    these days you'd be a lot more sober at the end of it compared with a few years ago