+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pubs You Only Went In Once For A Reason

International

Re: Pubs You Only Went In Once For A Reason

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, of course it was the Exchange. I got in there more in the late eighties/early nineties and can't say I was much of a fan of the place.

I think it must be the Mitre we went in, but I always think of the place that served scrumpy in Llandaff when I hear that name and it didn't make me think that's right like I did with the Exchange when you mentioned the name.
    Probably the one in Craddock street then, that was rough and "local" lol

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yes that's pretty similar to the canton mile we tended to do. Victoria park - Westgate with as many pubs along the way as we could find.
    these days you'd be a lot more sober at the end of it compared with a few years ago
    Same her but Starting at the red house and diverting for the robin hood.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Same her but Starting at the red house and diverting for the robin hood.
    Don’t you mean the RED COW ????

Red House was down Ferry Road

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    As a youth me and some mates went for a drive around the city and somehow ended up at the Big Windsor, we popped in for a quick one, but some of the locals didn't like us being there, in their pub. When I say they didn't like us being there, I mean we weren't too keen on returning at any time in the future.
    The Royal George on the corner of Crwys Road and Mackintosh Place.

Dreadful place - had my first ever drink in there. And never went in again.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Don’t you mean the RED COW ????

Red House was down Ferry Road
    Ty Pwll coch Cowbridge Road. I know where 'the' red house was.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    The Royal George on the corner of Crwys Road and Mackintosh Place.

Dreadful place - had my first ever drink in there. And never went in again.
    I loved that place. Used to have a landlord who was an ulsterman. His daughter was a very naughty girl!!! They served Cafferey's and my ex could drink most beer all day but 2 pints of that stuff and she'd argue with god!

I'm glad too I grew up when I did pubs were better back then more characters.
    When I first left college 1985 I got a job servicing and installing Alarm systems, we had the contract with brains brewery to do all there pubs.
    Back then being a landlord was the best job around.
    Free beer
    Buy cheap spirits and refill your optics to make a fortune
    Make your own food make a few bob.
    Plus the pubs were busier most nights of the week.
    Here's quite a rank tale from my alarm days.
    Putting the alarm in the Flora in Cathays the landlady at the time was the oldest licencee in Cardiff and her husband had passed on but she had this huge alsation dog.
    On my dinner break I got some chips from across the road and sat on the step of the pub to eat them.
    The landlady invited me upstairs said she would do me some bread and butter to go with my chips.
    I told her I was a bit scared of the dog she said it would be OK as he was locked on the middle floor the kitchen was on the top floor. So I went up.
    Well the dog was locked on the middle floor as we had to go through it to get to the top floor but he was locked on the floor with about 3 weeks of its own shit.
    I didn't eat the bread and butter!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

You can't even if you wanted to it has shut down.

Fair enough

To all of you mentioning the “Canton Mile”, no one’s mentioned The Crown !!!

Small brains pub, 20 yards up a side street (can’t remember the name) estate agents now, entrance to the car park behind Canton shops

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wasn't one of the bars in The Windsor called 'The Zoo'? I assume that wasn't for a nice reason
    There's a pub in Milford Haven, ( I live nearby).called the 'farm' after the 'animals' who frequent it. Needless to say I avoid it.

Is the Greyhound still there (off the Hayes). Went in there with a couple of pals for some cheap cider. Sawdust of floor and within 5 mins some bloke had pulled a blade out. Didnt stay any longer and never went back.

The Penn in Llanedeyrn and The Murrayfied-Grand Slam in Pentwyn were an experience. Proper Council Estate Pubs where everyone knew everyone else. There was a mutiny at The Penn where some of the locals held the landlord hostage, they gave up after two days as they'd drunk all of the Alcohol.

My old dear used to work in meadow bank special school near the high rise flats , gabalfa

The nearest pub was the cow and snuffers , I was working in llandaff north once and a load of people from the cow and snuffers and the pineapple ? were scrapping in the street

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    To all of you mentioning the “Canton Mile”, no one’s mentioned The Crown !!!

Small brains pub, 20 yards up a side street (can’t remember the name) estate agents now, entrance to the car park behind Canton shops
    Yes, I had forgotten the Crown, nice, but tiny, pub that which I tended to go to for a pint or two on a Sunday night before moving on to the Romilly. Playing pool was interesting in the Crown because you often ended up looking like you were attempting to play a jump shot because the walls were too close for you to play a normal shot.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I had forgotten the Crown, nice, but tiny, pub that which I tended to go to for a pint or two on a Sunday night before moving on to the Romilly. Playing pool was interesting in the Crown because you often ended up looking like you were attempting to play a jump shot because the walls were too close for you to play a normal shot.
    It was on Wyndham Crescent, (the building is now on the corner of the car park behind Cowbridge road, but I thought the pub was on the oppositecorner to the estate agent. I thought it stook on what is not open ground as you turn into the car park driveway.

The Crown was in Wyndham Crescent wasn’t it? On the corner where you drive into the car park now. The Craddock St pub was The Wells.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Crown was in Wyndham Crescent wasn’t it? On the corner where you drive into the car park now. The Craddock St pub was The Wells.
    The Wells, that's it. Had a lop sided skittle alley but nice and long. Very odd place, I lived a street or two away from it for a while but it took me several months before I went in the place.

It was on Wyndham Crescent, (the building is now on the corner of the car park behind Cowbridge road, but I thought the pub was on the oppositecorner to the estate agent. I thought it stook on what is not open ground as you turn into the car park driveway.
    Na, it was definitely where the estate agent’s is.

I used to play darts for them, with Charlie Harrington, the landlady’s son

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My old dear used to work in meadow bank special school near the high rise flats , gabalfa

The nearest pub was the cow and snuffers , I was working in llandaff north once and a load of people from the cow and snuffers and the pineapple ? were scrapping in the street
    You do seem to have a propensity for being in places when there is trouble going on.

I drank in the Cow all my life, from age 16 to the day it closed in all it's recreations (when I was in Cardiff) and I never saw a minute's trouble in there. The Pineapple was less than 500 yards away and the people who drank in one drank in the other. I can recall playing skittles in the Cow and they had run out of lager so between rolls the whole team was walking to the Pineapple for a pint and walking back again for the next roll. At the end the visiting team captain made a speech to himself and when he asked where we were he was told, "up the pub!"

You do seem to have a propensity for being in places when there is trouble going on.

I drank in the Cow all my life, from age 16 to the day it closed in all it's recreations (when I was in Cardiff) and I never saw a minute's trouble in there. The Pineapple was less than 500 yards away and the people who drank in one drank in the other. I can recall playing skittles in the Cow and they had run out of lager so between rolls the whole team was walking to the Pineapple for a pint and walking back again for the next roll. At the end the visiting team captain made a speech to himself and when he asked where we were he was told, "up the pub!"
    Do you remember the big fat landlord with the black beard ?

Yes, I liked the Cow. Used it when I lived and worked in Llandaff N. Never so fussed on the Pine, but occasionally ventured in to the Railway.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That's right, on the right as you drive into the car park from Wyndham Crescent - pretty sure The Wells was the pub we paid a very short visit to.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Wouldn't the nearest pub have been the Master Gunner?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Wouldn't the nearest pub have been the Master Gunner?
    That place is ****ed, looks like a building out of shameless.

Are you ex-Glantaf?