+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19's journey to the UK

Covid-19's journey to the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52993734

I thought this was a very interesting article.

However, the first two comments I read were:

"This is what happens when you have open boarders (sic). The spread of Covid is a direct consequence of globalisation."

"Here we go again... BBC again trying to airbrush the facts. Fact is that it all started in China and spread all over the world because of China's ill intentions. We just can not blame our neighbours for these spread. BBC, please don't fool the same public who is paying your salaries."

The internet is very hard work at the moment.

Re: Covid-19's journey to the UK

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I've got to the point where, beyond this board, I never read comments or opinions written about an article. The whole internet seems full of simpletons posting exactly the same quotes you've posted above.

"This is what happens when you have open boarders (sic). The spread of Covid is a direct consequence of globalisation."

"Here we go again... BBC again trying to airbrush the facts. Fact is that it all started in China and spread all over the world because of China's ill intentions. We just can not blame our neighbours for these spread. BBC, please don't fool the same public who is paying your salaries."

We completely failed to apply decent lock down measures from the beginning.
    We are an island so it should have been reasonably easy.
    A week after the outbreak we still had 17 flights arriving in the UK from China alone.
    The Government seemed far to concerned with peoples rights.
    The successful countries “bolted” down immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    A week after the outbreak we still had 17 flights arriving in the UK from China alone.
    The government wasn't too concerned with people's rights, it was more concerned with the economy not taking a hit.

Doesn't seem to think that events such as Cheltenham,the Liverpool Valencia match or the Stereophinics concert had much impact on the spread of the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Doesn't seem to think that events such as Cheltenham,the Liverpool Valencia match or the Stereophinics concert had much impact on the spread of the virus.
    Not sure he says that. There is a difference between importation of Covid 19 and in country transmission.

He is saying that those events were not critical in the import of Covid 19 into the UK. They probably contributed but the numbers involved were swamped by the much bigger numbers coming into the UK from European airports for other reasons during that period. However, all of those events probably had a significant impact on the spread of the disease (and the subsequent hot spots) within the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not sure he says that. There is a difference between importation of Covid 19 and in country transmission.

He is saying that those events were not critical in the import of Covid 19 into the UK. They probably contributed but the numbers involved were swamped by the much bigger numbers coming into the UK from European airports for other reasons during that period. However, all of those events probably had a significant impact on the spread of the disease (and the subsequent hot spots) within the UK.
    I'll concede that there is a difference between importation and transmission.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that they had a significant impact on spread or hotspots.

More knowledgable people than you or I would have to decide what impact they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The government wasn't too concerned with people's rights, it was more concerned with the economy not taking a hit.
    Exactly

No wonder Liverpool got knocked out, having to play Atletico Madrid & Valencia A Cardiff (non) event that is often forgotten is the Wales/Scotland rugby match, called off on the day before the game when the city was already chock a block with fans with nothing to do bar pack out city centre pubs then return home a few days later taking God knows what with them.

Quarantining what turns out to be a relatively small portion of the population would have been far less damaging to the economy than the widespread lockdown we ended up with.

Banned

The evidence does seem to be pointing to "economy first" type decisions by the Government until the belated lockdown.

Our workplace were issuing "work at home" instructions well in advance of the Government's lock down.

It also seems to be coming out of lockdown with the economy being the main focus. They don't even have the scientists on the Party Political Broadcast that is held daily (didn't see today's, maybe it was different?).

New Zealand has life back to normal, if there are no cases, it cannot spread. Borders remain closed, but I believe they are opening up to Australia (another country that seemed to have a grasp on things).

We're still letting people in "but you have to quarantine for 2 weeks". "Yes, ok, we promise". "If we catch you, we may fine you". "Oh, don't worry, we will".

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Quarantining what turns out to be a relatively small portion of the population would have been far less damaging to the economy than the widespread lockdown we ended up with.
    But more damaging to people's lives.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    It also seems to be coming out of lockdown with the economy being the main focus. They don't even have the scientists on the Party Political Broadcast that is held daily (didn't see today's, maybe it was different?).
    Valance and Whitty were alongside Johnson today. They took a bit of a hammering from the press, too.

I'll concede that there is a difference between importation and transmission.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that they had a significant impact on spread or hotspots.
    I don't think there's anything in the article to suggest that the large events weren't damaging in their own way. It merely says the impact of 3,000 Spaniards attending Liverpool's game against Atletico Madrid was negligible by comparison to the amount of people who were arriving from Spain on a daily basis in March anyway - 20,000 a day, apparently.

From the data in this report it seems the fact that hundreds of thousands of people were allowed to enter the UK without any sort of testing or restrictions during the critical transmission period was a major factor in the situation our country has found itself in. Incredibly, it's taken the government until now to attempt to do anything about that aspect of it. It really does seem to be case of stable doors and bolting horses.

Valance and Whitty were alongside Johnson today. They took a bit of a hammering from the press, too.
    Holly Valance ?

That's a bonus , shes a right sort

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    New Zealand were on the ball, look at them now

There are now rumours that Channel 4 news have a leaked document from their health advisers telling them the lockdown was needed 2 weeks before they actually did anything.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    New Zealand were on the ball, look at them now
    Didn’t they lockdown on 25th March? But closed borders straight away? It’s hard to remember exactly what happened when after the last few months. Crazy to look back and think if we had closed our borders early March it might never have even taken hold here.
    Next time....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Didn’t they lockdown on 25th March? But closed borders straight away? It’s hard to remember exactly what happened when after the last few months. Crazy to look back and think if we had closed our borders early March it might never have even taken hold here.
    Next time....
    We've only just started to look at our borders. That beggars belief.

Are you saying the virus didn't originate in China?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    The evidence does seem to be pointing to "economy first" type decisions by the Government until the belated lockdown.

Our workplace were issuing "work at home" instructions well in advance of the Government's lock down.

New Zealand has life back to normal, if there are no cases, it cannot spread. Borders remain closed, but I believe they are opening up to Australia (another country that seemed to have a grasp on things).

We're still letting people in "but you have to quarantine for 2 weeks". "Yes, ok, we promise". "If we catch you, we may fine you". "Oh, don't worry, we will".
    most if not all thought of cash first bodies later.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Are you saying the virus didn't originate in China?
    I’m saying piss off, idiot. Go and find another thread to infect.

I’m saying piss off, idiot. Go and find another thread to infect.
    You think that your point of view is superior to all other points of view?

I was listed to radio programs at that time and so many reasonable people were asking why were people being allowed to come back in from those affected countries. It was so obvious that things were going wrong. We have to assume the only reason UK government acted so slowly was economic. If that's the case shame on Johnson and his advisers.

From a neutral perspective, the virus must have originated from somewhere, and the cases that started the UK outbreak mostly came from Europe, so what can we learn from these events to prevent it happening again in the future?

Hopefully a public enquiry will be setup to answer these pertinent questions.