+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19's journey to the UK

Re: Covid-19's journey to the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    We all have to admit that BoJos plan to put the economy over people appears to have worked out brilliantly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-neil-ferguson

https://www.theguardian.com/business...mage-says-oecd

Never mind, we got Brexit to look forward to.
    All those who read the Guardian you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Why are you criticising the people in the comments section for having an opinion that is different to yours? The two comments you picked out are highlighting how the BBC article is minimizing the role that China played in the transmission of the the virus to the UK, by saying their contribution to the pandemic was almost zero percent, and they also pointed out that the EU acted as incubation zone that allowed the virus to freely multiply, before it's onward transmission into the UK.
    The article isn't minimising the role China played. It states that's where the pandemic started. Around 75% of cases here were brought in from Spain, France and Italy. That's not surprising, given the close proximity and close relationship between the UK and those countries. Of course things originated in China, take that as read. On a pedantic level, the EU didn't act as an incubation zone.

I don't see how there's scope for having a different opinion. Virus starts in China, spreads, in Britain we can pinpoint where it came from when it entered the country. It's about as factual as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The article isn't minimising the role China played. It states that's where the pandemic started. Around 75% of cases here were brought in from Spain, France and Italy. That's not surprising, given the close proximity and close relationship between the UK and those countries. Of course things originated in China, take that as read. On a pedantic level, the EU didn't act as an incubation zone.

I don't see how there's scope for having a different opinion. Virus starts in China, spreads, in Britain we can pinpoint where it came from when it entered the country. It's about as factual as you can get.
    Also I don't understand why you can't criticise an opinion if it's ****ing bonkers. CCMB has always had a weird thing about it being "an opinion" so you can't criticise it. If the opinion is absolute bollocks of course it should be criticised. People aren't criticising the opinions because they're different but because they're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    All those who read the Guardian you mean
    How do you think BoJo has handled the pandemic crisis?

Can you identify what strategy he had and whether or not his objectives were achieved? Unless catching the virus was one of them?

His twatting about which included showing off those very British stiff upper lip, ambivalence, putting his own libertarian principles first and superiority complex to the pandemic has led to more deaths and increased shagging of the economy. We’re now left with the incompetent knobber trying to balance the two which I have every confidence he’ll continue to **** up with what we’ve all seen so far.

The thing is I’m not surprised, history shows he is a colossal twat.

"The study showed that less than 0.1% of those imported cases came directly from China. Instead the UK's coronavirus epidemic was largely initiated by travel from Italy in late February, Spain in early-to-mid-March and then France in mid-to-late-March."

International

"The study showed that less than 0.1% of those imported cases came directly from China. Instead the UK's coronavirus epidemic was largely initiated by travel from Italy in late February, Spain in early-to-mid-March and then France in mid-to-late-March."
    Isn't that what he said?

I don't have the data, but at the time it largely seemed to be British people catching it abroad (skiing trips etc) and bring it back here.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Isn't that what he said?
    Yes, don't blame China for the virus, blame the EU as that's where it came from!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

His twatting about which included showing off those very British stiff upper lip, ambivalence, putting his own libertarian principles first and superiority complex to the pandemic has led to more deaths and increased shagging of the economy. We’re now left with the incompetent knobber trying to balance the two which I have every confidence he’ll continue to **** up with what we’ve all seen so far.

The thing is I’m not surprised, history shows he is a colossal twat.
    Yep. Just worth a quick reminder of this. February 3rd.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...-february-2020

"And in that context, we are starting to hear some bizarre autarkic rhetoric, when barriers are going up, and when there is a risk that new diseases such as coronavirus will trigger a panic and a desire for market segregation that go beyond what is medically rational to the point of doing real and unnecessary economic damage, then at that moment humanity needs some government somewhere that is willing at least to make the case powerfully for freedom of exchange, some country ready to take off its Clark Kent spectacles and leap into the phone booth and emerge with its cloak flowing as the supercharged champion, of the right of the populations of the earth to buy and sell freely among each other.
    And here in Greenwich in the first week of February 2020, I can tell you in all humility that the UK is ready for that role."

International

Yes, don't blame China for the virus, blame the EU as that's where it came from!
    blame them for starting it but not for the large number of people who brought it here. OK

Heisenberg

'Can this thread now be merged with the 'Coronavirus update' thread, please? I'd like to keep the mentalists (you know who I'm referring to) in one place while I read their comments, if that's ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    'Can this thread now be merged with the 'Coronavirus update' thread, please? I'd like to keep the mentalists (you know who I'm referring to) in one place while I read their comments, if that's ok?
    I've put the more mental ones on ignore. Let's be honest reading ccmb is always a waste of time but I can feel myself getting older reading the shite certain people post

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Can this thread now be merged with the 'Coronavirus' update thread, please? I'd like to keep the mentalists (you know who I'm referring to) in one place while I read their comments, if that's ok?
    Its much more fun going to different threads and them suddenly popping up. (Them/us??? )

And while we're on the subject of pubs, what about my bloody Marmite???

Yes, starting mainly in Italy. Carried there by the many Chinese tourists who visit Italy. On the 13th March 45000 Brits took off for a weekend of ski ing around the alps areas, most had to come straight back after a day or two as all the slopes and hotels were starting to shut all over despite them telling everyone I know there was no plans to close anything just a day or two before.
    I reckon 100’s maybe more of these people brought it back with them, I know if a few who were rough on return having spent 2 days in various airports and bars trying to get home. It never gets as much of a mention as cheltenham for ie but I reckon this was one of the main influx’s of the virus here.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I've put the more mental ones on ignore. Let's be honest reading ccmb is always a waste of time but I can feel myself getting older reading the shite certain people post
    You realise you are one of the mental ones right? And To coin a phrase, you were born old

Is that wrong?

On the subject of there being no calls for the lockdown to begin earlier at the time, I think a look at the first ten pages of the Coronavirus update thread on here will prove interesting. While those early posts make for very embarrassing reading now for some, it also shows that, even on a messageboard for Cardiff City fans, there were some who it seems were more clued in about the virus than the UK Government and even some of the scientists it was taking advice from. I don't include myself among those who have been proved right, because, idiotically, I wanted to avoid making it a political issue because I thought the Government had been given a thankless task.

However, over the coming weeks, it became clear that the UK had drawn a very short straw when it came to the calibre of the people who were in charge as the crass blunders made by the Prime Minister and his Cabinet in the period before he became ill became more evident.

From memory, the line at the time once the dalliance with herd immunity was shelved was that, although a lockdown had to come eventually, there wouldn't be one yet because it would be more effective when infections were at a higher rate. There was also plenty of what I thought was pretty informed speculation that both scientists and politicians were of the view that they couldn't trust the population of the UK to observe a lockdown for more than a fortnight or so - yet again they were proved wrong, the people were seeing and reading what was going on in places like Italy and Spain and the large majority of them were frightened into believing and accepting a long term shutdown was coming (I started my isolation period the week before the lockdown started).

To be honest, the only thing that surprised me about this news yesterday;-

was that the scientist only thought half of the deaths could have been avoided with an earlier lockdown - as someone remarked a few weeks back, lions led by donkeys comes to mind.

The funny thing if you look back at that thread, and the first few weeks of lockdown, is people saying the lockdown was bad and we should still be allowed out were the ones shouting the loudest about the BLM protesters being bad for protesting during a lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    On the subject of there being no calls for the lockdown to begin earlier at the time, I think a look at the first ten pages of the Coronavirus update thread on here will prove interesting. While those early posts make for very embarrassing reading now for some, it also shows that, even on a messageboard for Cardiff City fans, there were some who it seems were more clued in about the virus than the UK Government and even some of the scientists it was taking advice from. I don't include myself among those who have been proved right, because, idiotically, I wanted to avoid making it a political issue because I thought the Government had been given a thankless task.

However, over the coming weeks, it became clear that the UK had drawn a very short straw when it came to the calibre of the people who were in charge as the crass blunders made by the Prime Minister and his Cabinet in the period before he became ill became more evident.

From memory, the line at the time once the dalliance with herd immunity was shelved was that, although a lockdown had to come eventually, there wouldn't be one yet because it would be more effective when infections were at a higher rate. There was also plenty of what I thought was pretty informed speculation that both scientists and politicians were of the view that they couldn't trust the population of the UK to observe a lockdown for more than a fortnight or so - yet again they were proved wrong, the people were seeing and reading what was going on in places like Italy and Spain and the large majority of them were frightened into believing and accepting a long term shutdown was coming (I started my isolation period the week before the lockdown started).

was that the scientist only thought half of the deaths could have been avoided with an earlier lockdown - as someone remarked a few weeks back, lions led by donkeys comes to mind.
    Wasn’t Ferguson one of the SaGe team there guided by?

Is that wrong?
    It's right, and so is the fact that 100% of all global Covid-19 cases originated in China.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He was until he resigned. He was always touted as the brains who worked out the projected path of the virus in numerical terms or something until he went off shagging some married woman. Now he has suddenly changed his opinion apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Also, I can’t see much talk of lockdown and I got to the 12 March where people are just starting to mention closing borders like in the USA....I could be missing it mind

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wasn't he the one that scared Johnson out of his herd immunity strategy by projecting 250,000 UK deaths if there was no lockdown?

He didn't practice what he preached, but he still seems to have kept his peer reputation as one of the top 'go to' experts.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wasn't he the one that scared Johnson out of his herd immunity strategy by projecting 250,000 UK deaths if there was no lockdown?

He didn't practice what he preached, but he still seems to have kept his peer reputation as one of the top 'go to' experts.
    Agreed