+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading RAM

Upgrading RAM

Anyone on here got any experience? I've watched a ton of youtube videos about it and it seems that it literally is just plug&play.

Re: Upgrading RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Anyone on here got any experience? I've watched a ton of youtube videos about it and it seems that it literally is just plug&play.
    It is, but you get different types of RAM.

Check the Crucial website as they can help you find the correct type of RAM you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It is, but you get different types of RAM.

Check the Crucial website as they can help you find the correct type of RAM you need.
    Yeah thanks - I've done that, it's a really useful tool. The thing I'm most worried about is either damaging the casing of the laptop or there being compatibility issues, but I guess I can always put the old RAM in in that case. Will there be a significant difference in video editing going from 8GB RAM? I have a wicked processor and graphics card but I'm guessing the lack of RAM is what's making the video preview in Premiere lag so much

Make sure ewe get the right ram for the job.

first of all you need to specify what make and model laptop you have.
    After that, once you obtain the correct RAM, it is a fairly simple matter to replace.
    Bear in mind that most models have a maximum ram that can be used.

Yeah thanks - I've done that, it's a really useful tool. The thing I'm most worried about is either damaging the casing of the laptop or there being compatibility issues, but I guess I can always put the old RAM in in that case. Will there be a significant difference in video editing going from 8GB RAM? I have a wicked processor and graphics card but I'm guessing the lack of RAM is what's making the video preview in Premiere lag so much
    There will be a big difference with applications that max out your current RAM configuration, check the Windows Resource Monitor while you are using Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    There will be a big difference with applications that max out your current RAM configuration, check the Windows Resource Monitor while you are using Premier.
    Yeah, I do to be fair and it does take up a lot of it. I usually run Photoshop & Premiere side by side and have Chrome open as well. I 100% need the upgrade, just excited to notice the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    first of all you need to specify what make and model laptop you have.
    After that, once you obtain the correct RAM, it is a fairly simple matter to replace.
    Bear in mind that most models have a maximum ram that can be used.
    Its a HP Omen 15.6" - I've used this website which runs a scan on the system https://uk.crucial.com/products/memory

Pretty handy tool. I've managed to purchase a 2x16GB package for just £115 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Make sure ewe get the right ram for the job.
    Chopsy, is it?

If you have followed the steps on Crucial then you should buy the correct RAM and it is easy to install. As you say, you just plug it in. I have done this on every PC that I have owned and I’m not technical.

Depending on how much RAM you add (I’d go for the Max you can) it is the single biggest way to boost performance (along with an SSR drive, but you may already have one)

Next best way is buying a new machine but that is big money obvs.

So deffo worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    If you have followed the steps on Crucial then you should buy the correct RAM and it is easy to install. As you say, you just plug it in. I have done this on every PC that I have owned and I’m not technical.

Depending on how much RAM you add (I’d go for the Max you can) it is the single biggest way to boost performance (along with an SSR drive, but you may already have one)

Next best way is buying a new machine but that is big money obvs.

So deffo worth doing.
    It's crazy. The cheapest 32GB laptop on Currys is £2300. This was £900 and for just £115 I can get it to 32GB, it's too good to be true. I'm excited to see the performance boosts tomorrow, will make my life a whole lot easier.

Just a slight word of caution. If you are adding RAM and using more than one stick then make sure they are the same read/write speeds as well as size. On some laptops there is RAM soldered in and a spare slot. So if the soldered in one is 8Gb then get another 8Gb stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Just a slight word of caution. If you are adding RAM and using more than one stick then make sure they are the same read/write speeds as well as size. On some laptops there is RAM soldered in and a spare slot. So if the soldered in one is 8Gb then get another 8Gb stick.
    Thanks - checked and both are removable! Thank god for that.

All installed and running. Wow, what a difference!

It's crazy. The cheapest 32GB laptop on Currys is £2300. This was £900 and for just £115 I can get it to 32GB, it's too good to be true. I'm excited to see the performance boosts tomorrow, will make my life a whole lot easier.
    Simple answer is don't buy at Currys. Not only the ridiculous cost, but the practices. Want a great looking laptop? Oh sorry, run out of stock, but they have this demo version.. will knock a bit off but you'd have to pay for the software to be cleaned, reinstalled...

All installed and running. Wow, what a difference!
    It depends upon what you're doing. CPU bound tasks aren't necessarily improved that much.

Take it you found installation easy enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    It depends upon what you're doing. CPU bound tasks aren't necessarily improved that much.

Take it you found installation easy enough?
    Installation was a piece of piss, yeah. Hardest part was getting the back cover on this, but I was careful - all back in place and solid.

I've definitely noticed a difference with general computer stuff, but Premiere Pro is now functioning like a dream.

Curry's were trying to sell 2x8GB RAM set up for £100, I bought 2x16GB off of Amazon for £115.

They're rip-off merchants, honestly.

Installation was a piece of piss, yeah. Hardest part was getting the back cover on this, but I was careful - all back in place and solid.

I've definitely noticed a difference with general computer stuff, but Premiere Pro is now functioning like a dream.

Curry's were trying to sell 2x8GB RAM set up for £100, I bought 2x16GB off of Amazon for £115.

They're rip-off merchants, honestly.
    High street chains, Currys etc etc have always been the same, aimed at people who want a simple life with little tinkering

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    High street chains, Currys etc etc have always been the same, aimed at ripping people with little knowlege of tech odd.
    FYP

FYP
    fair fixing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    fair fixing
    Phew, I got away with the typo ;)

Phew, I got away with the typo ;)
    I might have to upgrade my laptop just to load your profile when you post a message, hell of a lot going on there

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I might have to upgrade my laptop just to load your profile when you post a message, hell of a lot going on there
    No idea why... I'll fix it.

No-one's mentioned about being sure to ground yerself when repairing/upgrading computers. I always use an anti-static wrist strap. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    No-one's mentioned about being sure to ground yerself when repairing/upgrading computers. I always use an anti-static wrist strap. Better to be safe than sorry.
    good call