+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Upgrading RAM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Upgrading RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Yeah thanks - I've done that, it's a really useful tool. The thing I'm most worried about is either damaging the casing of the laptop or there being compatibility issues, but I guess I can always put the old RAM in in that case. Will there be a significant difference in video editing going from 8GB RAM? I have a wicked processor and graphics card but I'm guessing the lack of RAM is what's making the video preview in Premiere lag so much
    If you have followed the steps on Crucial then you should buy the correct RAM and it is easy to install. As you say, you just plug it in. I have done this on every PC that I have owned and I’m not technical.

Depending on how much RAM you add (I’d go for the Max you can) it is the single biggest way to boost performance (along with an SSR drive, but you may already have one)

Next best way is buying a new machine but that is big money obvs.

So deffo worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    If you have followed the steps on Crucial then you should buy the correct RAM and it is easy to install. As you say, you just plug it in. I have done this on every PC that I have owned and I’m not technical.

Depending on how much RAM you add (I’d go for the Max you can) it is the single biggest way to boost performance (along with an SSR drive, but you may already have one)

Next best way is buying a new machine but that is big money obvs.

So deffo worth doing.
    It's crazy. The cheapest 32GB laptop on Currys is £2300. This was £900 and for just £115 I can get it to 32GB, it's too good to be true. I'm excited to see the performance boosts tomorrow, will make my life a whole lot easier.

Just a slight word of caution. If you are adding RAM and using more than one stick then make sure they are the same read/write speeds as well as size. On some laptops there is RAM soldered in and a spare slot. So if the soldered in one is 8Gb then get another 8Gb stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Just a slight word of caution. If you are adding RAM and using more than one stick then make sure they are the same read/write speeds as well as size. On some laptops there is RAM soldered in and a spare slot. So if the soldered in one is 8Gb then get another 8Gb stick.
    Thanks - checked and both are removable! Thank god for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    It's crazy. The cheapest 32GB laptop on Currys is £2300. This was £900 and for just £115 I can get it to 32GB, it's too good to be true. I'm excited to see the performance boosts tomorrow, will make my life a whole lot easier.
    Simple answer is don't buy at Currys. Not only the ridiculous cost, but the practices. Want a great looking laptop? Oh sorry, run out of stock, but they have this demo version.. will knock a bit off but you'd have to pay for the software to be cleaned, reinstalled...