+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Giving the knee"

Re: "Giving the knee"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I know you're being facetious but it's an interesting (and not coincidental) point that the word black is associated with bad things - blackmail, blackball, blacklist, black sheep, black market, black mark etc, and the word white is associated with good things - white knight, white lie, whitelist etc.
    Light, dark. Bit of a reach to automatically assume words develop due to racism.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Light, dark. Bit of a reach to automatically assume words develop due to racism.
    Sure it is

Settling lawsuits isn't an admission of anything.

Kaepernick was offered a contract by Baltimore, pulled by his contract demands and actions of his girlfriend.
    Kaepernick's QBR the last two seasons was poor, leading team to 3-16 record.
    Kapernic was approached by AAF and XFL - wanted guaranteed $20m when both leagues were paying $250k per QB.

Still, it must be his protest and skin colour preventing him being in NFL not his wage demands or poor play...
    Spot on, he was handed a olive branch several months ago by the league and pissed on his chips

Has this thread concerning a term that the "outraged" OP couldn't even get right really reached the stage now where some people are arguing that a person's opinion on a non sporting matter becomes less relevant because someone thinks they aren't very good at their chosen sport? What a totally ludicrous argument if it has.

I know you're being facetious but it's an interesting (and not coincidental) point that the word black is associated with bad things - blackmail, blackball, blacklist, black sheep, black market, black mark etc, and the word white is associated with good things - white knight, white lie, whitelist etc.
    White Knight - A person with low self esteem who combats this with a unwavering need to aid others who may or may not need it. They usually have very isolated personal lives as they are very judgmental of others, surrounding themselves only with those who feed their desire to help and feel as a savior.

Hope none of these statue vigilantes read this.
    They'll be storming book stores all over the UK and burning copies of the Oxford English dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    White Knight - A person with low self esteem who combats this with a unwavering need to aid others who may or may not need it. They usually have very isolated personal lives as they are very judgmental of others, surrounding themselves only with those who feed their desire to help and feel as a savior.
    If copying and pasting something at least use a British dictionary and not an American one. We didn’t lose the American colonies to have them Yanks infect our language with their misspelled words.

It’s “saviour”.

I understand the historic negative associations with the word 'black' but I have never been comfortable with labelling people as black - because they aren't actually black. And at what skin pigment along the scale is and isn't black? I'm more pinky brown than most so-called 'white' people.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I understand the historic negative associations with the word 'black' but I have never been comfortable with labelling people as black - because they aren't actually black. And at what skin pigment along the scale is and isn't black? I'm more pinky brown than most so-called 'white' people.
    Cmon now TBG. This whole episode is about Black and White. There are no Grey areas 😁

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    They'll be storming book stores all over the UK and burning copies of the Oxford English dictionary.
    Green with envy, green shoots of recovery, Green party, Green technology. - GLM matter too, you know.

Heisenberg spins more than Kaepernick spins the ball...
    All "pretend" activists do that, I bet he owns a Che Guevara T-Shirt as well

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm more pinky brown than most so-called 'white' people.
    That sounds disgusting, have you had your cloaca checked out? You may be full of shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    If copying and pasting something at least use a British dictionary and not an American one. We didn’t lose the American colonies to have them Yanks infect our language with their misspelled words.

It’s “saviour”.
    Yeah that's a very niché l definition he's found, being that Oxford, Cambridge, Websters all definite is as either:

-A person or thing that comes to someone's aid.

-A person or company making an acceptable counter-offer for a company facing a hostile takeover bid.

Still the thought of him going through all the words and frantically looking at all the world's dictionaries trying to find something that he can go aHA about, and coming up with that is funny

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    They already know about it

Yeah that's a very niché l definition he's found, being that Oxford, Cambridge, Websters all definite is as either:

-A person or thing that comes to someone's aid.

-A person or company making an acceptable counter-offer for a company facing a hostile takeover bid.

Still the thought of him going through all the words and frantically looking at all the world's dictionaries trying to find something that he can go aHA about, and coming up with that is funny
    Yeah, that was exactly what happened 🙄

It was a term I saw used on twitter the other day and found the definition on urban dictionary but carry on in your own little world 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    Yeah, that was exactly what happened
    We know

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Can anyone explain what "taking the knee" is actually supposed to represent? It seems it is more than just going down on one knee as they also bow their heads and occasionally do the one-fist salute, reminiscent of the black power salute. Are participants actually bowing down and if so, to who or what?
    I see Dominic Raab is in trouble today over his remarks about "taking the knee". I haven't a clue about this Games of Thrones thing but as I have already mentioned in this thread it does seem an odd gesture to me. However obviously in these highly emotionally charged times it is very non-PC to question it. In fact it may well soon become very anti-social not to take part, akin to poppy wearing. I have no problem with wearing a poppy in November but I know others do object (glorification of war etc.) and it is very noticeable that anyone who appears on TV in any connection seems to be obliged to wear one. Interestingly Raab said he would bow to the Queen - I have met the Queen and would not - I simply shook hands as I would with anyone.

I see Dominic Raab is in trouble today over his remarks about "taking the knee". I haven't a clue about this Games of Thrones thing but as I have already mentioned in this thread it does seem an odd gesture to me. However obviously in these highly emotionally charged times it is very non-PC to question it. In fact it may well soon become very anti-social not to take part, akin to poppy wearing. I have no problem with wearing a poppy in November but I know others do object (glorification of war etc.) and it is very noticeable that anyone who appears on TV in any connection seems to be obliged to wear one. Interestingly Raab said he would bow to the Queen - I have met the Queen and would not - I simply shook hands as I would with anyone.
    Raab is either extremely insensitive and being an arse on purpose or he is genuinely thick as shit

Boris is a racist , we know that already , I think raab is just an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Raab is either extremely insensitive and being an arse on purpose or he is genuinely thick as shit

Boris is a racist , we know that already , I think raab is just an idiot
    Raab isn't getting criticised because it's "not PC" - he's getting criticised because he's the foreign secretary of a major world power during a time when people have been protesting en masse worldwide about a huge issue (including in his own country) and he hasn't got a clue about the origin of one of the modes of protest, and the dismissive tone he spoke about it in was awful. I'm not sure if it's arrogance or incompetence but I suspect, with this government, it's a combination of both

And also, it's not going to become anti social not to take part, the footballers are only doing it in the first round of games, protesters are doing it, people who want to show solidarity with the BML cause have done it.

What situation do you possibly envisage finding yourself in where people are taking the knee and criticising you for not?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Who else is bloody fed up with this???
    I have no problem with people of different race...but you cannot change history...it is what it is.
    Why bow down to a different race....white to black...black to white....whatever.

This tearing down of statues is appalling.....times were different.......you regret but you do not destroy.....
    You're fed up with people bringing attention to racial injustice? How fed up would you be having to deal with it first hand every day?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Who else is bloody fed up with this???
    I have no problem with people of different race...but you cannot change history...it is what it is.
    Why bow down to a different race....white to black...black to white....whatever.

This tearing down of statues is appalling.....times were different.......you regret but you do not destroy.....
    Check your privilege 🙄

I have been fed up of racism and racists my whole life. I imagine the black community would be feeling worse than me. Doing the knee is not bowing down to a different race.

And ‘bow down to a different race’? It was the Brits that colonised and made the people think they were superior. And that mentality is still ongoing.

And with tearing down statues... colonialism and slavery should not be celebrated. The statues celebrated these things. And it is a biased history - doesn’t show the effects of these thing on people then and on people now.

Again, check your privilege 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Check your privilege ��

I have been fed up of racism and racists my whole life. I imagine the black community would be feeling worse than me. Doing the knee is not bowing down to a different race.

And ‘bow down to a different race’? It was the Brits that colonised and made the people think they were superior. And that mentality is still ongoing.

And with tearing down statues... colonialism and slavery should not be celebrated. The statues celebrated these things. And it is a biased history - doesn’t show the effects of these thing on people then and on people now.

Again, check your privilege ��
    ADZ did you read Darren Lewis's column in the Mirror on Monday,a very powerful piece on whats it is like to be black.
    So many things non blacks take for granted.

At 11:58am this Sunday, can a caring compassionate fellow of this board please check on ole Maurice Swann to ensure he doesn’t self combust into a human inferno, due to apoplectic rage when he sees the City players ‘Take the knee’?

Alternatively let him burn.

I’m not bothered either way.

Raab isn't getting criticised because it's "not PC" - he's getting criticised because he's the foreign secretary of a major world power during a time when people have been protesting en masse worldwide about a huge issue (including in his own country) and he hasn't got a clue about the origin of one of the modes of protest, and the dismissive tone he spoke about it in was awful. I'm not sure if it's arrogance or incompetence but I suspect, with this government, it's a combination of both

And also, it's not going to become anti social not to take part, the footballers are only doing it in the first round of games, protesters are doing it, people who want to show solidarity with the BML cause have done it.

What situation do you possibly envisage finding yourself in where people are taking the knee and criticising you for not?
    I wasn't necessarily talking about myself but can you not envisage a situation where someone e.g. a footballer or a politician did not "take the knee" when everyone around him/her did so? That person would be immediately be in the spotlight with all the unwanted media attention that that would bring. If I was not isolated in rural west Wales but lived in Swansea or Cardiff I probably would have attended one of the demos but if I had, I would have undoubtedly felt under pressure to join in.

I wasn't necessarily talking about myself but can you not envisage a situation where someone e.g. a footballer or a politician did not "take the knee" when everyone around him/her did so? That person would be immediately be in the spotlight with all the unwanted media attention that that would bring. If I was not isolated in rural west Wales but lived in Swansea or Cardiff I probably would have attended one of the demos but if I had, I would have undoubtedly felt under pressure to join in.
    My reluctance to take the knee stems from the fact that these days I might have more than a few problems untaking it.